• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Nightforce Ultralight Rings

ram

Private
Minuteman
Feb 12, 2010
Louisiana
I bought a set of Nightforce four screw ultralight rings for a 4-16x42 scope. The torque specification list the torque as maximum of 25 in-lb for the cap screws, but is this what is needed?

On a light-weight heavy-recoil rifle with a heavy scope maybe that’s what it takes to hold it securely and they are letting you know they can take it. Doesn’t mean you have to go that high though, I’ve used 18 for mine and it’s been fine.

Reactions: Steel head
I would run 25 in/lbs on them. NF has been through significant testing on these mounts and/or similar mounts for contract and they are very specific about all the torque specs. I once inquired about the crossbolt torque stating I was torquing to 65 in/lbs, just 3 in/lbs off, and was informed that during testing there is a reason they recommend 68 in/lbs and suggested I stay there. Sure, its possible they are just being overly careful with ensuring the right spec, and I am also sure you can get away with less if you really want to. However, I have owned and ran 10 or more of these mounts, using the exact 25/68 specs and have never had a single issue of any kind on a variety of scope brands of both tube diameters.

Reactions: Darkop
What he said ^^^^^^^

I would second the recommendation to run 25 in-lbs. I have a set of these on my somewhat lightweight 300 PRC rig. 25 in-lbs seemed excessive, so I set it at 20. All was well for several months then started getting a wandering zero. checked rings and sure enough they had came loose. Now they are set to 25 in-lbs and no issue. You could probably get away with less on a lower recoiling rifle, but as long as its not an issue with your scope tube being too thin to handle, I'd run the 25 in lbs. They are machined very, very well and as long as your going on a straight rail I think the clamping force is evenly distributed so it shouldn't be an issue IMO.