• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Nightforce Unimount height for 1-8?

David4570

Private
Minuteman
Feb 15, 2017
I’m ordering an ATACR 1-8 for a small frame AR. What should I know about the different Unimount height mounts before I get one?
I have a 1.5 Unimount under a NF 4-16x42 on my 308 AR and love it, but is 1.5 right for the 1-8 On a small frame AR? I have a B5 SOCOM stock on the 308 and it’s very comfortable to get behind but the 42mm objective might have made the 1.5 necessary? Perhaps a lower Unimount may be “better” for the 5.56?
NF also has a 1.54 Ultramount. Would that also be an option?
Thanks for your thoughts and advice.

Last edited:
1.5” is generally considered the standard for ar optics. You’ll likely not notice 0.04” so I’d say either is fine. There isn’t a really good reason to go lower (and you could run into facial interference issues), and 1.5” is the pretty much the same as standard open sights for the platform.

Reactions: MOUNTIC
I personally would never go lower then 1.5. I prefer the 1.70 height for LPVOs as that lower 1/3 height I'm used to for these types of guns when on 1x or using a RDS. Little less crouched and not hugging the stock for me personally. I would also look at the Badger C1 mounts if you havent checked those out yet. If your used to the 1.5 height, stick with it. It's pretty much the standard.

Reactions: Jgunner
slightly lower than 1.5" if dedicated precision work, usually a better cheek weld but depends on your stock

1.5" for general purpose/all around

higher than 1.5" if doing a lot of up close/1x work (more vertical head, faster)

Reactions: sgtsmmiii
Thanks all. I really don’t fancy myself running and gunning or going into battle at my age unless the Ruskies get really ambitious. I’ll probably use this optic for slower paced and longer range entertainment. I think 1.5 will do nicely.
So, my ATACR 1-8 and 1.5 Unimount were just ordered. I was told to expect a 34-36 week delivery on the optic as this is an LE purchase. So I’ll be just that much older and slower but I’m as excited as a little kid before Christmas (and that’s about when it will arrive).
Stay well folks…..

Reactions: pineoak
Thanks all. I really don’t fancy myself running and gunning or going into battle at my age unless the Ruskies get really ambitious. I’ll probably use this optic for slower paced and longer range entertainment. I think 1.5 will do nicely.
So, my ATACR 1-8 and 1.5 Unimount were just ordered. I was told to expect a 34-36 week delivery on the optic as this is an LE purchase. So I’ll be just that much older and slower but I’m as excited as a little kid before Christmas (and that’s about when it will arrive).
Stay well folks…..
Did you order direct from NF for the LE price? If that’s the case, I’d shop around. Most retailers will match or come very close to that LE price and actually have the optic in stock or have it relatively quickly. EuroOptic, Mile High, Sport Optics, MVM etc all come to mind as viable options to buy from.

Stag556:
Yes the Order was direct. I looked around and didn’t find anything in stock and discounted. I‘ll keep checking.

All: I checked the places Stag556 suggested but all OOS. I couldn’t find MVM?

Do I need to call someone at these web stores?

All tips appreciated

Last edited:
Stag556:
Yes the Order was direct. I looked around and didn’t find anything in stock and discounted. I‘ll keep checking.

All: I checked the places Stag556 suggested but all OOS. I couldn’t find MVM?

Do I need to call someone at these web stores?

All tips appreciated
Should have clarified MVM. Mahoning Valley Milling in Pennsylvania.