• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Nightforce "Velocity" Reticles and New Leupold

Tactical30

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
May 5, 2009
Eastern Ohio
I dont know how old this subject is but I had just read the new Special Weapons magazine (june 10') and seen the new Nightforce Velocity reticles on the last page. It just gave a brief description. Does anyone have any other info about this?

Also seen the new Leupold Tactical line of scopes (in the same magazine). The one with the locking button on the elevation knob. Its nice with the 34mm tube and some other things but I dont see the need for the locking elevation button unless your using it in a "war zone" enviroment or hunting in heavy brush. I just see something like that getting annoying on the bench or prone but see how it could be used in a good way.

any info on these 2 optics?

forgive me if this is old news.

Re: Nightforce "Velocity" Reticles and New Leupold

North or south...of what?

A Google advanced search input screen is shown below. That search turned up more than 3900 links to posts with mil, moa, and hunting in them. Some of them are <span style="font-style: italic">not</span> related to hunting, but many are. This is just a sample search - be creative with your own search terms.

The Google advanced search, restricted to snipershide.com as shown in the input screen, is by far the best way to search this site. Feel free to click on "Date, Usage Rights,..." to further restrict the search.

http://www.google.com/advanced_search?hl=en

hidesearch.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HiCapMag</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I must learn.

You north or south?

To the OP, pardon the drift.

If you have not seen it yet, NF has a good bit of info on their web site and a calculator to determine which velocity reticle is best for you. Thinking hard on trying one of these on the three gun rifle.

http://nightforceoptics.com/nightforcescopes/RETICLES_OVERVIEW/RETICLES_DETAIL/reticles_detail.html </div></div>

Run one on my 6x47L I love it !! The HV runs the 105 amax perfect !

Scott_2009_CC_hunt.JPG

100_01741.jpg

100_01762.jpg

Interesting, Ive never looked into these reticles much.

Im glad its doing good things for you sendero... might have to check one out in the future

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: vman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Interesting, Ive never looked into these reticles much.

Im glad its doing good things for you sendero... might have to check one out in the future </div></div>

All my NF scopes are NP-R1 but for my FNAR i got the 2.5-10x32 in the LV reticle. It perfectly matches the 308 from a 20" barrel all the way to 600yards. It is so easy that it is pretty idiot proof. I was banking 6" plates at 400,500 and 600yards with ease. It also has 5mph and 10mph marks at each of those distances. Of course you always have the option of just dialing your elevation via the elevation turret if you wish.

Me too Sendero!

I gotta put a good plug in for the NF ballistic reticle sitting on my AR shorty.I like using holdovers whenever I can.

I only use the rifle out to 600 yards,so for this application it's perfect.I reload my ammo so I tuned the load and sight in distance to "exactly" fit the reticle sub-tensions.The wind hash marks are pretty much right on also for a 5 and 10 MPH wind.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: vman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Interesting, Ive never looked into these reticles much.

Im glad its doing good things for you sendero... might have to check one out in the future </div></div>

It is, like Steve said, I load for the reticle and runs great out to 600. If I want to shoot past that, I hold on the 600 than dial a few MOA. Easy as can be ! Very accurate reticle, wind hold offs work well, illumination is better than the NXS models as it has power settings on the knob.... Can't say enough good about it !!
grin.gif

Sendero Man, do you think you could try a through the scope pic....illumination on and off???

Thanks

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HiCapMag</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sendero Man, do you think you could try a through the scope pic....illumination on and off???

Thanks </div></div>

can try
cool.gif

I'd really like to see a through the scope pic as well.

Might need one of those for a planned AR10 build.

-David
Edgewood, NM

For those using the Velocity reticle for hunting, are you just estimating distances to the target or are you using a rangefinder?

Sounds like a SWEET deal for my 308 folder project.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sendero_man</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HiCapMag</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sendero Man, do you think you could try a through the scope pic....illumination on and off???

Thanks </div></div>

can try
cool.gif
</div></div>

Now get out there and have some fun with that scope this weekend!
(and take your camera)
grin.gif

As a die-hard Night Force user, I was wondering about their new ballistic reticles as well. I use their Np-R2 reticle which uses the same theory but just doesn't have any yardage marks on the reticle itself. Looks like I might have to purchase a new 2.5-10x32 with this reticle for my Knights Armament Mk11 (USMC issue).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HiCapMag</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sendero_man</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HiCapMag</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sendero Man, do you think you could try a through the scope pic....illumination on and off???

Thanks </div></div>

can try
cool.gif
</div></div>

Now get out there and have some fun with that scope this weekend!
(and take your camera)
grin.gif
</div></div>

as soon as the snow and rain stop, I will
grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HiCapMag</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Snow?!

WTF is that? </div></div>

This !

Oct_5th_snow.jpg

looks COLD!!! going to be 88-90* here today...would love to take the wife and son someplace like that one day.