• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Rifle Scopes NightForce VS Huskemaw VS Mark4 LRT

beretta_man11

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 17, 2010
MS
any thoughts on this? I am just starting in long range hunting/shooting. I really don't see much on the Husky's but tons of stuff on the NF as well as the leupold Mark 4. Is the glass comparable? i am thinking 5-20x50.
thanks!
matt

Re: NightForce VS Huskemaw VS Mark4 LRT

<span style="text-decoration: underline"><span style="font-weight: bold">search is your friend.</span></span> But out of the 3 id have to say Nightforce hands down.

Huskemaw looks like a Rednecks dream come true, its pretty clear to me your new to this, and Huskemaw optics with there yard marked turrets appeal to you, in the real world those don't work for shit, learning how to use a scope, dailing for elevation and holding for wind is not that hard to understand once you learn how to do it, get a Nightforce with knobs that match the reticle, and get out and shoot, and don't get yourself wrapped up in things you think you know, MilRads and MOA are just measurements of an arch or angle, there is a reason every military sniper on the planet uses Milrads.

Wow, some touchy bastards out there... My bad. If I search something and it says it has a clear picture, clear compared to what? Compared to a Tasco world class or Clear compared to a Swaro... Geez man, just looking for someone who has experience with all 3.

more often than not if there is a shooter near you he will let you look through his scope. Thus the reason the people who post here frequently actually fill out our profiles and include a location. Just a thought.

Most shooters are more than eager to show of their goods.

I have not had experience with the Husky, but I have had experience with Nightforce, Swarovski, and Leupold. I would say that, in my experience, Swarovski has the clearest glass of the three, and the worst adjustments. Leupold has the worst glass of the three, and the second best adjustments. Nightforce has the best adjustments, and the second clearest glass of the three. Since you can see your target with all of them, I would go for the one with the best adjustments. For long range, I would choose Nightforce.

Alright, updated. You are right, looking through someone else's scope would be the best way but I do not have the luxury (or have to) shoot at a public range where I meet people with this type equip. That is why I was asking for someone who has had hands on experience (not just read an article) with these scopes.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 427Cobra</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Huskemaw looks like a Rednecks dream come true</div></div>

It is! Everyone around here think its "The shit", but that comes from the same people that think a 1000 yard shot is easy. Also that longer barrels are always more accurate etc etc. LOL.

beretta, go Nightforce hands down.

See everybody... It's not so hard to give good advice. Thanks Huntinaz, Tigerhawk, and deadly... Tigerhawk, I really appreciate your input, good solid advice from someone who has used each. Thanks!

Another vote for NF. As others have said, once you spend some time behind the gun and scope, learning elevation and windage adjustments is not that hard. You basically understand that it takes X amount of mil or MOA correction to hit a target at Y distance. If you go to JBM calculations, you can generate a dope sheet that will tell you what your holds or corrections need to be.

I have looked at the Mark 4, but the NF just has a better feel, the reticles and turrets match and the turrets are more solid feeling. The mark 4 ain't bad, but I bought the NF for a reason.

Nightforce NXS and don't look back or think twice

beretta,
Understand that every week a few stumble in and ask the same question that someone else stumbled in and asked last week, and the week before, and the week before,...

Huskemaws are shit, their gimmick is that any fool with their scope, can make 1000 yard hits. Fools with no skill and wet dreams of long range hunting buy Huskemaw.

Nightforce is a great scope, and many argue one of the best deals in tactical scopes. Their adjustments are dead nuts reliable and their glass is better than serviceable.

Leupold is still proud of the great product they made 20 years ago, and their price tag is far out of alignment with the scopes they sell now. Their glass is among the worst in their tier and their mechanicals are sometimes great, usually OK, sometimes crap. I am always reluctant to buy a product when the greatest thing I hear about the product is how fast everyone gets theirs back when it inevitably breaks.

Throw a stick and you'll hit 10 people that have sent a scope back to Leupold for repair. If the stick hits a dumbass who offers you $1000 to keep the stick, he probably owns a Huskemaw too.

Nightforce is the real deal.

In 2 days, when a newbie stumbles in and asks exactly the same question you did, you'll understand why some gave a less warm welcome.

The search function is your friend, Huskemaw is shit, Leupold is overpriced, and almost no one I know has ever had to send a Nightforce in for repair.

I know you're learning and this may sound harsh but it's a ridiculous comparison.

Why?

The three scopes are in entirely different classes. The NF is a tried and true, reliable higher end optic (but not top shelf) that will serve you in ANY capacity you would need.

The Leupold is living off of their reputation and their civilian hunting stuff. Leupold has had so many problems lately you would be lucky to get one of the scopes that work. For everyone that says their Loopy is great, two more step up with issues.

Huskemaw who? Seriously? These guys are fly by night with a gimmick that doesn't work. Why even be the guinea pig for something like this when there are so many better options above and below it's price range. I wouldn't take the time to consider one until someone else spent their hard earned money.

It's like comparing a big diesel 4x4 to a mini truck to a Lada-think Yugo. (for those of you that have been in eastern bloc countries you know what I mean.)

Now that I've give you a reasonable explanation please try to make some semblance of a search in the future. I believe you will find a ton of information with very little effort.

Gunwerks/Husqemaw "long range shooting" tv show plays a part I believe. I've never seen a Husky on any rifle in my life, never seen anyone with a Gunwerks rifle either. As PT Barnum said, a sucker is born every minute. These guys are cashing in on that concept, $6.5k for a rifle+scope combo, with what looks like a rem 700 action, money is better spent elsewhere getting exactly what you want.

BUY Nightforce....
grin.gif

or if you want a boat anchor and spare change holder... buy Huskemaw "the magic scope"...

I am embarrassed that I live in the same state as these guys...
blush.gif

I own both nightforce and a leupold mk 4 after having used both I am getting rid of the leupold and replacing it with nightforce. They just make a better more reliable product. Add to that there wonderful customer service and nightforce is hands down the better choice in my opinion.

Wow you guys can be a little harsh. Glad I stumbled upon this thread before I posted anything about this LOL Now with that said you guys have given some really great information. I was looking at the huskemaw scope but didn't want to spend that kind of money without doing all the research that I could. Mainly because I had never heard of the company before. I will defineatly look into the nightforce now.
Thanks for the help
Rob

No offense but what would you guys do if no one ever posted new questions? Don't bitch when someone asked a question (unless it involves Bertrillium Zantitium), it IS how you learn.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Parkincense</div><div class="ubbcode-body">No offense but what would you guys do if no one ever posted new questions? Don't bitch when someone asked a question (unless it involves Bertrillium Zantitium), it IS how you learn. </div></div>

But in there defense, when the question is asked once a month or more. Many stop responding rather than continuing to say the say thing over. Kind of like the little kid that keeps asking, are we there yet, are we there yet, are we there yet, are we there yet, are we there yet, are we there yet, are we there yet, are we there yet.

Pretty soon you just ignore him.

Reactions: msstate56

man, nightforce hands down, no questions asked, signed, sealed and delivered...the Only way to upgrade form a nightforce is to go with a us optics, schmidt and bender or hensoldt, for the money a nightforce is the only way to go, im shooting a schmidt and bender but, the price jumps considerably when you go any of these alternate routes

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sendero_man</div><div class="ubbcode-body">BUY Nightforce....
grin.gif

or if you want a boat anchor and spare change holder... buy Huskemaw "the magic scope"...

I am embarrassed that I live in the same state as these guys...
blush.gif
</div></div>

Scott, TFF bro!!!

hate to burst anyones bubble but nightforce builds huskemaw scopes for best of the west they put a different reticle in them and some other features then best of the west puts there turrets on them dont belive me contact them and find out

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mulienut</div><div class="ubbcode-body">hate to burst anyones bubble but nightforce builds huskemaw scopes for best of the west </div></div>
I think they build scopes for others as well, though it doesn't really mean much,IMHO.

Im content with the Mk4s. Ive had a Nightforce maybe the glass got better in them I dont know. But mine wasnt all that great. This was back when the were Made in Japan, imported through Australia by some company called Lightforce.

A 12-42x with a Varmint RR in it IIRC. I got pissed at Dick Thomas from PR and went looking for something other than a boosted Leupold.

I do get my Leupolds at Jobber pricing.

I think they build scopes for others as well, though it doesn't really mean much,IMHO. [/quote]
what I was saying is that they build the huskemaw scopes with the same glass and same specs pesonally i dont like huskemow
I will stick with leupold made in the usa even if it aint quite as good which I think leupold better though I dont have a lot of expeirence with nightforce

This video changed my life. Every scope I buy will be a Huskemaw from this day! NOT!

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/VL8crbvPrzQ"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/VL8crbvPrzQ" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

yeah that would realy make me buy a scope NOT

Notice the fired cases on his jacket before he shoots then he fires one shot cycles the bolt and says 2 to the boiler room? when was the seccond shot fired? did he fire some ranging shots first? did someone else shoot the moose from a closer point this vidio leaves me with a lot of questions on what realy happened as for the fired cases were they all fired at the moose? did one of them injur the moose? if it was hit why did it just stand there for him to take the time to chat to the vidio then fire the seccond? he cycled the bolt but i did not hear a seccond shot i would take the vidio with a grain of salt.

With the choices you have up the NF would be my pick but i would like to know what your price range is and what power scope you want and ffp or seccond? it is realy hard to give you informed advice without knowing what calibre and distance you want to shoot aswell.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mulienut</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I will stick with leupold made in the usa even if it aint quite as good which I think leupold better though I dont have a lot of expeirence with nightforce </div></div>

Leupold is not made in the USA, and how because they have so many products lines, some junk, some between OK and good, how do you know what your getting, Companies like Nightforce S&B Ziess PR only make one grade of product, either spend the money on there products or not, they do not compromise.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 427Cobra</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mulienut</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I will stick with leupold made in the usa even if it aint quite as good which I think leupold better though I dont have a lot of expeirence with nightforce </div></div>

<span style="font-weight: bold">Leupold is not made in the USA,</span> and how because they have so many products lines, some junk, some between OK and good, how do you know what your getting, Companies like Nightforce S&B Ziess PR only make one grade of product, either spend the money on there products or not, they do not compromise. </div></div>

What do they do they make in in that factory in Oregon then? Flashlights? Is it just CGI?

That’s the million dollar question that no one can seem to answer. We will likely never know. But the boxes are definitely made in the USA as many state that but many of the contents there in remain unmarked... We know they make scope tubes and we have seen them putting together the final assemblies, every thing else remains a mystery.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mulienut</div><div class="ubbcode-body">hate to burst anyones bubble but nightforce builds huskemaw scopes for best of the west they put a different reticle in them and some other features then best of the west puts there turrets on them dont belive me contact them and find out </div></div>

I don't care who makes it or how much love and quality go into the process, Huskemaw tells idiot hunters with no training and no skill that their scope alone makes any rig a "long range precision hunter", which is total bullshit.

Since the Hide is for serious marksmen, Huskemaw gets no more love than Countersniper or any other BS product looking to cash in on a market filled with morons, imbeciles, and mall ninjas.

If you've really sent rounds out to 1,000 yards, you KNOW that there is no way around the difficulty of the shot.

Huskemaw is shit.

from Leupold.com
"All Leupold Golden Ring® Riflescopes are designed, machined, assembled, and tested in Leupold’s state of the art manufacturing facility in Beaverton, Oregon, USA"

"Leupold uses foreign sourced components for some parts of Golden Ring products, primarily lenses"

Made in the USA means 51% is made in our Country, no where on Leupold dot com does it state that there products are made here, just assembled here, don't think for instance that the marketing department would be all over the "Made in the USA" if they could. Leupold has great Customer Service, thats good because your going to need it, probably more than once.

Ive had leupold for many years and have noticed more problems in the recent. I just purchased a NF within the last month. Hands down go with nightforce, too bad NF isnt making parts for leupold
laugh.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: matchking</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mulienut</div><div class="ubbcode-body">hate to burst anyones bubble but nightforce builds huskemaw scopes for best of the west </div></div>
I think they build scopes for others as well, though it doesn't really mean much,IMHO. </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 427Cobra</div><div class="ubbcode-body">from Leupold.com
"All Leupold Golden Ring® Riflescopes are designed, machined, assembled, and tested in Leupold’s state of the art manufacturing facility in Beaverton, Oregon, USA"

"Leupold uses foreign sourced components for some parts of Golden Ring products, primarily lenses"

Made in the USA means 51% is made in our Country, no where on Leupold dot com does it state that there products are made here, just assembled here, don't think for instance that the marketing department would be all over the "Made in the USA" if they could. Leupold has great Customer Service, thats good because your going to need it, probably more than once. </div></div>

Leupold no longer puts "Made In The USA" on the boxes because they are not

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jwp475</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Nightforce NXS and don't look back or think twice</div></div>

+1 on this!

The whole BDC turret just seem stupid to me... unless you are going to shoot at one weather condition, one load, one altitude, then have at it with the Huskemaw.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bacarrat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The whole BDC turret just seem stupid to me... unless you are going to shoot at one weather condition, one load, one altitude, then have at it with the Huskemaw. </div></div>

Exactly....

Just curious, who makes a scope in the US using US made optics and parts. All the scopes I am aware of use either European, Japanese or China glass. Most of the US manufacturers spec out the parts and have them made elsewhere. I guess if the spec is for high qual parts and the parts meet spec, it gets us the same assembly in the end. I hate buying out of the US parts, including European, just because I like americans having jobs. Unfortunately, some products just arent made here anymore.

the nightforce is the best option hands down. it's better than the other two optically, it's better as far as robustness goes, and for general features. don't forget about zero stop and the nightforce ballistics calculator.

there is a reason every military sniper on the planet uses Milrads. [/quote]

i prefer moa it was easier for me to learn

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: beretta_man11</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Geez man, just looking for someone who has experience with all 3. </div></div>

Someone with experience with NF and MK4's probably wouldn;t waste any money trying a Huskewhatever. I know I wouldn't.

I also would go with the NightForce NXS series. I still like my Leupy Vari X III EFR but my NF is a superior scope although almost 2x the price.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mulienut</div><div class="ubbcode-body">hate to burst anyones bubble but nightforce builds huskemaw scopes for best of the west they put a different reticle in them and some other features then best of the west puts there turrets on them dont belive me contact them and find out </div></div>

You sir, are full of it. Nightforce does not manufacture the Huskemaw scopes. LOL.... glad I have my Muck boots on, cause it is getting deep in here !!!

I am a Lightforce light dealer and know all the Nightforce guys. They do not manufacture it... Guaranteed !

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: a-hull</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> there is a reason every military sniper on the planet uses Milrads. </div></div>

yeah most of the world uses the metric system
i prefer moa it was easier for me to learn [/quote]

there is nothing metric about milrads

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sobrbiker883</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: beretta_man11</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Geez man, just looking for someone who has experience with all 3. </div></div>

Someone with experience with NF and MK4's probably wouldn;t waste any money trying a Huskewhatever. I know I wouldn't. </div></div>

LOL,You mean a Huskimajigger
smile.gif

OP...NF wins!!!