• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes nightforce vs usoptics

coulthard_west

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 14, 2008
new orleans la
not looking for advise or asking questions, just looking to see how many different oppinions there are out there. lol no fighting.

Re: nightforce vs usoptics

sit I have 2 nightforces and I've looked and shot through USO's. No doubt USO's are outstanding quality optics. I chose for my money to go with NXS. Just my personal choice. They are a great bang for your buck!!!

i have both. for the higher power i prefer my USO Canadian to the NF 5.5-22, mostly because the exit pupil of the NF is very unforgiving at higher power.

but when i use the NXS 3.5-15, i'm in my happy place too.

if i had to guess, i'd say the uso will be more durable, and i like the EREK elevaion knob above all others. the illumination adjustment on the USO is easier to adjust for brightness level, and the uso is available with any number of options

Didn't really say it was better, For my eyes it was very good and for the money it was the choice for me. I shot through one at RO and it was nice, and a few others. I just prefer the NXS.

Personally I don't have a burning desire for the FFP, at least not at this point. So I can't comment on that scope as I haven't seen or looked through it

i agree about the FFP. i usually ping with the LRF and dial elevation when allowed time, and setting the power dial when doing hold-overs in no biggie.

and i am not discounting anybody's opinion. did not mean to sound like i was. just throwing mine out there.

i like both and would have a hard time choosing another..

22x, but you can mil at 11 power but each tic mark will be 1 mil instead of .5 mil

I use MOA and 11 and 22 power will do it. 22x for true MOA and 11 is 1/2 again. It works well when you get used to it.

I'm sure Mils work the same, but I wouldn't swear to it.

Someone else with Mil would be able to verify for you

NF now has FFP, but its availablity is limited right now.

USO is built like a tank and completely customizable with a varity of options to choose from for your liking:

various models w/ different power settings
EREK, #1, or #3 knobs
30mm, 34mm, and 35mm tubes
1/4moa, 1/2moa, or .1mil adjustment
varity of FFP moa and mil reticles
varity of color anodized tubes
choice of red or green lit reticle

If you need optics customized to your application, then USO is the way to go.

If you don't need all the bells and whistles or money is an issue, then NF or a used USO would be a good choice.

There both a great choice you can't go wrong with either one, your choice will depend on what you application or budget calls for.

I have much more time behind USO's than NF's. That said, they both are better than what is needed for my uses. General purpose shooting/hunting to 650 yards. The USO is more heavy duty and generally superb. The NF is a better value. If I could have either I would take the USO every time but would never feel under equipped with an NF.

I'k take USO...Built in the US. Better optics....but opinions vary...optics are equal compared by some. Nf beats in price, I think USO beats in service.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: s.i.t.</div><div class="ubbcode-body">what makes nf so much better than uso to u guys? </div></div>

I realize the cheerleaders for both will say what they will, but having owned all of them puts me in a different perspective.

Custom do-dads- I like it KISS. I have no need for windage on the wrong side or anything "custom" of the like. Simplicity wins... always.

Durability/bulletproof/bombproof- USO more durable than a NXS- BULLSHIT. Both are more than tough, with that said I know of way more USOs taking a shit than NXSs.

Eye relief- I almost pissed myself laughing so hard. USO isnt even fucking close in this dept.

Glass quality-
Ive seen USO glass that gets near S&B, but then Ive seen USO glass at or less than Leupold. NXS glass is consistant.... Consistantly great.

At this time there are (2) brands of scopes I would put my life on- S&B and NXS. There are (5) brands that I would happily take to the range/comps- S&B, NXS, USO, Leupold, Nikon(old tactical).

7mmRM, your experience is somewhat different to mine (but that's fine - if eveyone liked the same women there would be a lot of vigins, and there are not).

Anyway after using S&B PMII's for the last 14 years or so and havig the occasional affair with a NXS, Leupold etc I have made the move to USO scopes. In fact I remember when I got a then new model S&B 4-16x50PMII and compared it to a mates USO ST10, conclusion after a weeks testing night and day was both were as good as it gets - at the time no preference if scopes were set at the same mag or exit pupil dia.

A couple of years ago I got to play with a USO 5-25x58 TPal, against my S&B5-25x56 PMII - I prefered what I saw through the USO. Around that time I aso found out that I could not get NXS scopes in focus and parallax free at the same time - but I did not have this issue with S&B or USO, at the time I thought it was me - but from stuff I have read on BR Central Forums seems I am not the only one. Also I believe I read an article by Zak Smith on LR optics, believe commented on the difference at night between a USO and NXS - USO was much better.

The scope that has impressed me the most is the USO sn3 3.8-22x44 LoPro. The 44mm objective gives up very little at dusk compared to 50mm,56mm and 58mm objectives - and I have tested (but only with Mk1 eyeball).But the biggest advantage I see with the scope besides being relatively compact is its wide power range 3.8-22x. It is usable at the lower end on AR platforms and 22x is a good top end - it is hard for me to want any 3-15x or 4-16x scope when you can have a lot more top end with the USO for the same bottom end mag.

Edit to add; No flame just a different perspective.

David.

I have a NXS, 2 USO's, and one MK4. All 3 brands are tits scopes. All can preform as good or better than me. I like USO because I can order the scope the way that I want it. I doesn't get much better than that.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sandwarrior</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'k take USO...Built in the US. Better optics....but opinions vary...optics are equal compared by some. Nf beats in price, I think USO beats in service. </div></div>

I won't say anything one way or the other obviously, but the Compact and FFP models are Made in the USA and the others, if made from foreign parts-all assembly, quality control and warranty services are handled right here in the USA at the Idaho office.
Besides a lot of custom features for the user-where does USO beat NF in service. I say that not to call out USO, but to find where you think we're lacking.

no offence NF Optics-Bill, but last night i went to us optics website and built me a quote. and with everything i wanted on it from all the options and accessories us optics are all ffp and are still cheaper than your ffp's plain with no accessories. and thats at retail.????????????????????

Bill, i have a scope that came through your service dept for MLR/Mil/ZS and service was great.

but what would happen if me, a lowly civilian, were to ask for your military version of the MLR reticle in my scope?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NF Optics-Bill</div><div class="ubbcode-body">where does USO beat NF in service. I say that not to call out USO, but to find where you think we're lacking.</div></div>Don't get me wrong, I love the NF product and have several NXS scopes: In my opinion (because it's not a 'fact' and only from my experience as many will say the opposite) a NF takes a severe beating better than does a USO. But the last time I e-mailed NF with a warranty question I didn't get a return e-mail for over a month - yup; no kidding; more than four weeks to get a reply to a suspected warranty concern. By the time I got the reply I had taken care of the problem myself.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: s.i.t.</div><div class="ubbcode-body">no offence NF Optics-Bill, but last night i went to us optics website and built me a quote. and with everything i wanted on it from all the options and accessories us optics are all ffp and are still cheaper than your ffp's plain with no accessories. and thats at retail.????????????????????
</div></div>

No offense taken S.I.T., but US Optics chooses to sell from the factory-Nightforce would rather have ours on the local stores shelf where you can handle them instead and buy if you like.
Our F1 scope is cheaper than a similarly equipped USO and it comes with a set of rings and a sunshade, so I'm not sure where you are getting your pricing from that it is cheaper. Compare apples to apples. A USO with TPAL (since NF has the side parallax), illumination, EREK (I don't think their other knobs have a zero stop), add in a sunshade, rings and lens covers and you are well beyond what the FFP Nightforce costs.

Since I asked the question of service, and certainly am not here to talk trash about USO-I'm finished posting here but want to see the replies. If anybody does have a question though, shoot me a PM as I check in from time to time.

The short version is that USO and NF both have thier corners on the market and those corners are in different places.

NF makes a great production scope in SFP. It even has various platforms that you can pick from. NF is also trying to move into the FFP realm with all the associated fits and starts of a new product.

USO is a custom scope manufacturer and specializes in FFP scopes since it's inception with a whole crap ton of options for all of thier platforms vailable.

The durability of both is without question. Both have produced a goof or two as do all manufacturers. Both have the reputation for fixing thier oops's quickly when they occur.

The point is they make different optics with different applications. You have to decide what is most important to you and what you are willing pay for.

Apples and Pears.

Cheers,

Doc

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NF Optics-Bill</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sandwarrior</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'k take USO...Built in the US. Better optics....but opinions vary...optics are equal compared by some. Nf beats in price, I think USO beats in service. </div></div>

I won't say anything one way or the other obviously, but the Compact and FFP models are Made in the USA and the others, if made from foreign parts-all assembly, quality control and warranty services are handled right here in the USA at the Idaho office.
Besides a lot of custom features for the user-where does USO beat NF in service. I say that not to call out USO, but to find where you think we're lacking. </div></div>

USO has just about any option available, Nightforce not so much. USO CS is legendary mainly due to John's philosophy that the customer always comes first. John@USO has my respect anytime. With all that freedom and options come a few issues once in a while since all scopes are built from scratch by one person, so yes there is some variance in "quality" from what I have seen. Just the nature of the beast, since the batches of parts are much smaller than big companies and some parts are completely custom. SB/NF have a much slimmer option list that’s been tried and proven over and over and it works. Like I said both are top end scopes, ive owned 2 NXS's and 5 USO's. I like USO’s better if money is no object.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NF Optics-Bill</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

No offense taken S.I.T., but US Optics chooses to sell from the factory-Nightforce would rather have ours on the local stores shelf where you can handle them instead and buy if you like.
...</div></div>

Bill,

I would guess the difference is really more in the marketing then, not the service. My apologies for that. Because, as both scopes have really taken off among the serious shooters, of word of mouth that both are of high quality, and durable, and have options that extreme shooters need.

One frustrating thing about posts like this is it seems to relegate the choice not made to the quality of Bushnell or something. That simply isn't true. I would take a NF scope in a second if I felt it was what I needed.

So, as for the marketing issue, not service, I chose the USO as I ordered the scope the way I wanted it. And not having done enough homework probably, I would imagine there is a way to get a NF the way you want it too?

DS is bang on with his notes about focus problems willNF and in particular NXS scopes...i to have had the lot and its USO and S&B in that order for me..

USO... No Comparison your talking High End Vs. Not So High End. Dont get me wrong NF is no Tasco but its really Apples to Oranges. At the end of the day its all about the Dollar. If you can afford USO or S&B or now Premier go that route. If not NF is as good a option.<span style="font-size: 17pt"> <span style="font-weight: bold">The wallet rules all in this decision</span>..</span>

Hi Jager 408, it was looking through your USO TPal a couple of years ago that gave me the push to go the USO route.

keep in mind that no matter how accurate the weapon is without good glass your screwed... Save up and buy 1 Good scope not a bunch of not so good scopes...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AverageJoe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">USO... No Comparison your talking High End Vs. Not So High End. Dont get me wrong NF is no Tasco but its really Apples to Oranges. At the end of the day its all about the Dollar. If you can afford USO or S&B or now Premier go that route. If not NF is as good a option.<span style="font-size: 17pt"> <span style="font-weight: bold">The wallet rules all in this decision</span>..</span> </div></div>

LOL....

USO if for the only reason to support US jobs and the economy.

MADE IN THE USA!!

Plus their built like a brick shithouse.

BigJilm!

I replaced a S&B 3-12X on my Gladius with a NF F1 and have been thrilled with the results.

In fact I was shooting tuesday afternoon waiting for some guys to arrive at rifles only and put 4 in a row at 1000 yards including my first shot of the day, missed my 5th when I went for an 9"X 15" target, but otherwise the repeatability and accuracy is perfect.

Visually, I think the NF is great, I find no fault with it, sure there are some subtle differences but not $800 worth of difference. I was able to see my impacts on steel at 1000 yards, midday with a steady wind and mirage, so the resolution is there, where differences are found in my opinion is more about magnification then actual clarity, but that is me and I understand some of this is subjective at best.

The F1 is definitely a great scope and worth every penny, even compared with more expensive offerings. As well NF has an awesome choice of turrets, reticles and what not, so there is really no real difference... the custom tag, well, anything can be customized, I have a custom S&B, it really only comes down to asking and money. I asked, they built it exactly like I wanted which wasn't offered via their catalog.

It's a tough call and really the same as the ford vs chevy argument, it's all about the shooter, his personality not his ability because they both can take care of that.

And PS the last two NF i received both say "Made in USA" on them...

I think the "home" page pretty much says it all!
grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Turk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think the "home" page pretty much says it all!
grin.gif
</div></div>

I think the fact they are a solid scope says more.
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BrianW</div><div class="ubbcode-body">We are fortunate to have so many options available to the shooter now-a-days, at a range of prices. </div></div>

+1

NF wasn't around when I got my first USO, and I have never seen or had a reason
to change. Personal service on upgrades and questions, never had a failure but I
have read enough to know the warranty is as good as it can get.

USO, cuz they're local and infinitely customizable, much like the Remmy, and they will show you the scope if you call and go by their shop.

*This is a completely unbiased opinion based on first-hand interaction with reps from both companies. I don't own either brand. I bought Zeiss and am very happy with it.

On another note, if you put a Zeiss on 24x, you'll have a half-mil reticle
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NF Optics-Bill</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sandwarrior</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'k take USO...Built in the US. Better optics....but opinions vary...optics are equal compared by some. Nf beats in price, I think USO beats in service. </div></div>

Besides a lot of custom features for the user-where does USO beat NF in service. I say that not to call out USO, but to find where you think we're lacking. </div></div>

One way I can recall is when a dealer here tried to put on a NF group buy for us, and some butt hurt vendors called NF and complained, then NF made him shut down the group buy.

A lot of people have forgot that, but I never did. I was in on that group buy, but now I own 2 USO's.

Not trying to be an ass, just trying to give you an example.

I've had both and I can tell you the NF is damn tough because I intentionally smashed mine, twice, in a little temper tantrum.

I was pissed off at a match in So Cal it's a long and embarrassing story. Bottom line is I jumped up with my rifle and threw it down onto the ground as hard as I could. Then I walked away behind everybody with curse words through clenched teeth, and did again in an area with more rocks and got a better bounce out of it. No shit I fucking hammered my rig super hard both times. It had some sratches on the outside of the objective bell that rubbed off. The only damage that remained after cleaning was a deep gouge/scrub on the outside edge of the parallax knob. When I picked it up I poured out a handful of dirt and rocks from the objective bell.

That scope continues to work perfectly. The parallax knob got hit very hard and turns just as easily and perfectly as it did before. It tracks perfectly, is totally consistent and reliable, and the glass is very clear. I personally cannot tell the difference between it and my USO insofar as clarity is concerned. NF also has fanstastic people working there providing great customer service. I have won two seperate 50% off gift certs from matches and they are great to deal with.

What I really don't like, and Bill I hope your listening, is the 10 MOA per rev on the elevation knob. I know other scopes have this also and some guys don't seem to mind much but I really, really hate this. It's the primary reason I have a USO on my main rifle now. The EREK knob gives me all of the adjustment I need to go beyond 1,000 yards with a 100 yard zero in less than one revolution. I'm just a simple competitor that likes tac rifle matches so I don't put my life on the line or anything like that. But I have, on two occasions, been off by one full revolution in a match and was off by 10 MOA for those first few shots before I figured out my brain cramp. Now that you have FFP if you could just get that taken care of I'd be happy. I know you've looked into because I've discussed it with a few of you there.

It's mildly annoying that the entire ocular piece rotates when adjusting the power setting but I can live with that. Just give us more on the elevation knob please sir!

Marc