• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Rifle Scopes Nightforce which Riticle?

1rocky1

Private
Minuteman
Jun 19, 2012
www.purekustomholsters.com
I shoot FTR and have a chance to get a NIGHTFORCE NXS 12-42X56 NP-R2 or a NIGHTFORCE NXS 8-32X56 NP-R1.

I wanted a scope for the hold offs. I have been using a Leupold Mark 4 8.5-24 X50 Mildot. But thought more power and a tighter reticle would be better. But kind of realized that at a 1000 yard range. For very small hold offs. No scope will give me hold off marks. Windage with a Mildot is 36", R2 is 25" R1 is 20" The MOAR reticle is 10"

At 1000 yards x ring is 5" 10 ring is 10" 9 ring is 20".

So my question is Does it really matter which reticle?

Which scope would you get?

Thanks in advance.

Re: Nightforce which Riticle?

The most popular reticles statistically for benchrest shooters (nightforce reticles) are the NPR-2 and the NP2-DD.

In my opinion it's really personal preference at that point. Because you said you were looking for a reticle to use for hold off, the NPR-2 might suit you needs better.

12-42 ftw

Thanks Guys, I'm probably going to go with the 12-42x56 with the NP-R2 More power can't hurt and I already know what the target rings are.

That 12-42, while ungodly overly powerful for me, seems to be the preferred optic for that kind of shooting. That is what I usually see those guys with. Seems to be the tool for the job when everyone runs the same optic.

The reticle is kind of personal really, but I'd shy from dots for 1000y target shooting in lieu of finer lines. And MOA/MOA turrets/reticle should give you finer adj. and measurements respectively, FWIW. There simply are just more minutes in any given arc than there are mils, and with that power at that distance, it would seem to make sense to take advantage of this for more precision. But to many that is personal flavor too.