• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Nightforce Zero Stop Question

rwleonard

Private
Minuteman
Jan 23, 2004
Virginia
Hey Guys,

I am looking to buy a NF with a velocity reticle for my 300WSM. The reticle that best fits my load is only available in a model with a zero stop. The reticle is not a perfect match, and at some ranges you need to come up a click or two, BUT, at some ranges you need to come DOWN a click or two. Will the z-stop prevent clicking down, or can one work around it?

Thanks,

Rick

Re: Nightforce Zero Stop Question

You can work around it. Just set the ZS 1 mil below the actual zero.

Why not buy one with a different reticle and then figure your dope? Use the turrets for what they are designed for. This would make the scope more versatile for different rifles and easier to sell later.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: T2CH</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You can work around it. Just set the ZS 1 mil below the actual zero.

Why not buy one with a different reticle and then figure your dope? Use the turrets for what they are designed for. This would make the scope more versatile for different rifles and easier to sell later. </div></div>

^^^ What T2CH said.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rick</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hey Guys,

I am looking to buy a NF with a velocity reticle for my 300WSM. The reticle that best fits my load is only available in a model with a zero stop. The reticle is not a perfect match, and at some ranges you need to come up a click or two, BUT, at some ranges you need to come DOWN a click or two. Will the z-stop prevent clicking down, or can one work around it?

Thanks,

Rick </div></div>

what i'm finding happens, is your scope will work out to a distance with the velocity reticle, for instance, out to 800 and then the deviation tends to spread at 900 and 1000. if thats the case, you just need to know your adjustments for that longer range. another option is to use a standard reticle and get a custom turret or remember your dope. the velocity reticles are very specific and dependent on your load.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: T2CH</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You can work around it. Just set the ZS 1 mil below the actual zero.

Why not buy one with a different reticle and then figure your dope? Use the turrets for what they are designed for. This would make the scope more versatile for different rifles and easier to sell later. </div></div>

That's certainly an option and what I have done in the past. I've also done the custom tureet thing. The rifle has a Leupold with M1's on it now, just thought I'd try something different if I thought it would work easily. Given that I can't get exactly what I want in terms of mag range, no z-stop, and v-reticle, I guess I'll stick with the Loopy.

Decision made and money saved,

Thanks guys,

Rick

I came real close to getting a Velocity reticle, but you really are better off just getting a Mil dot or MLR or....and learning to use the scope. You will then be able to put it on any rifle, 15 years from now.

They do seem cool, I almost got the one for my 300WM. I went 3.5-15X56 MLR.
Good luck Buddy.

Not to steal the thread, but Jay, your PM box is full.

Regarding reticle with velocity, I understand it makes it convenient to have the reticle to match the velocity of your load. But, what if you want to work on a different load? or what if you want to use the scope for a different rifle? Just saying...

i agree with the others. i'm not sure what scope manufacturers (mainly hunting scopes, but now NF) think they stand to gain by "velocity" reticles.

seems to me it's better to get a scope graduated and marked in mil/moa, put good turrets on that match the reticle, and go shoot stuff.