• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Nightforce zero stop

jwfrazier

Private
Minuteman
Jul 8, 2008
Jefferson, GA
Hi, Tried to do a search for this but no joy.

Could someone who owns one tell me exactly how the zero stop turrets work on the Nightforce?

Are you unable to turn the turret down anymore if desired, once the zero stop is set? This might be OK for a 100 yrd. zero which I normally use.

Also, is it just a set screw or what? I thought about adding a Kenton Industries custom drop turret to one, but I don't know if they are compatable with the zero stop feature.

Also, how well does it work, and are all of you owners' satisfied with it?

Thanks

Re: Nightforce zero stop

As the name implies, the zero stop prevents you to go any further so that you know you are at "zero point". Now, I usually set mine about 2 MOA lower than my zero point, in case I need to. But you can certainly set it at any point you desire.

Like Desert said when setting the zero stop you can leave as much or as little below the stop itself. I leave .5 mil. The zero stop feature is independent of the knob itself and you actually take the knob off when setting it so I think a Kenton knob would work fine.

the zero stop is an adjustment that is done with the cap off like previously stated.
I have mine set for a 200 yd zero and its a mechanical stop under the turret cap that lock this position. therefore when needed you turn the elevation adj down till the stop is hit and your at the 200 yd zero or where ever you set it . they do work well.
I would check but another cap shoould work fine
Bill

zerostop1.jpg

zerostop2.jpg

The only thing that I don't like about the zero stop is that you no longer have the graduated scale to know how many revolutions that have turned up.

As far as the swapping the turret out, the standard turret will not change out with the zero stop turret. The zero stop is larger than the standard turret. I don't know if Kenton is making turrets for the zero stop.

David

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dmg264</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The only thing that I don't like about the zero stop is that you no longer have the graduated scale to know how many revolutions that have turned up.

</div></div>

That's also the good part about the zero stop in that you can just quickly spin down to the stop and then dial back up if you get lost. With my mil knobs I only go into the second revolution to get to 1000 so it's not a big deal for me.

Rob I agree that you can dial down, that's what I'm doing now, but it looks like it would be very easy to put the scale back on the turret housing.

David

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dmg264</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The only thing that I don't like about the zero stop is that you no longer have the graduated scale to know how many revolutions that have turned up.</div></div>

If it bothers you that much, make your own with a silver sharpie, or auto touch up pen.

I thought about that but it's kinda hard to do when a sharpie tip is wider than the spacing that you need to draw the lines. Nightforce turrets only move about .010" per revolution. I can't draw lines that precise.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dmg264</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nightforce turrets only move about .010" per revolution.</div></div>Double check that .... If my memory is correct, my MRad turrets move something like .040" / revolution.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dmg264</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I can't draw lines that precise. </div></div>You can get auto detail pens which draw a very fine line.

For the sharpie, I mark where I want the line with a pencil, remove the turret and mask the line off with tape ... then use the sharpie.

Rijndael I don't know if the MRad are different from the MOA or not. According to NF the adjustments are 110 threads per inch which is a little over .009" per revolution and that's pretty close to what I'm getting measuring with my dial caliper. It's not that is that big of a deal that scale is not there, it just seems that it would have been so easy for them to have put it on the zero stop from the factory.

Thanks for the info; you guys are awesome. Kenton contacted me and stated that their knobs would work with the zero stop. I also emailed NF and asked what it would cost to retrofit the zero stop to a scope that did not have it originally, but I have not received a reply from them.

John F