• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Nightforce zerostop issue

john_1182

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 11, 2009
australia, victoria
i have a Nightforce 5.5>22/50 mil/mil high rev zero stop.

today re zeroing the rifle and adjusting the zero stop im having an issue when i replace the cap back over the zero stop i can still wind DOWN the scope .3 mil where in the past this has not been an issue, its an easy work around but i assume it should not be doing it, any thought on why it might be doing it?

Re: Nightforce zerostop issue

Gotta ask: When you removed the turret cap & loosened the screws on the zero stop ring, you tightened the zero stop ring cw to firm resistance?

That's odd.... I never had any movement past zero after setting my zero stop.

yeah, when i wind down the zero stop i wind it down to a firm resistance, just when i re seat the cap over the zero stop and screw it on (the two grub screws) i can still wind it down another .3 mil . its not a huge issue and dose not effect the function of the scope, just my zero stop is .3 mil low

So no matter where you lock down your ZS it will allow movement of the turret .3 mil lower? That seems very odd.

I'm wondering if your being a little too gentle engaging the ZS and/or not loosening the screws sufficiently when setting your zero.

Are you sure you're loosening the 4 little screws enough (For the ZS) to where you've disengaged the erector assembly during the ZS setting?

I set my zero stop exactly .4 mils below for when I use my suppressor, but it's locked exactly at .4 mils.

i have adjusted the zero stop several times in the past with out issue, im loosening the 4 screws on the ZS so they are almost fully unscrewed, when winding down the ZS mechanism (un sure of its correct name) in the past ive just had it touching (finger tight) with no issue, but now when replacing the cap over the top there is a slight gap between the base of the out side cover of the turret and the actual scope its self where in the past there never used to be and this gap is giving me the .3 mill of movement

i had a nice big wright up ready to post but then i lost power for over one hour, i think i have worked out my problem, what i have done is separate the two internal parts of the ZS and set it so that the fours screws go into a different thread on the bottom part (there is about eight holes roughly) and this has fixed the issues with me having the over travel past the "zero" and made the adjustments feel a lot more positive and less "muddy" when reaching the zero

The base of the outside cover of the turret and any space to the scope is a non issue. The turret cover has zero to do with stopping the turret rotation. When the zero stop is set up correctly, you can get pretty sloppy with the exact placement of the turret cover and still have everything work correctly.

I would guess that something is amiss with your sequence of steps in setting up your stop. No disrespect intended. Sometimes it's just easy to mentally get distracted or misunderstand a step.

It is absolutely crucial that you have your zero exactly where you want to set the zero stop before starting the process. Example: I set all of mine at 0.2 mil below my 100yd zero, so I make sure the elevation setting reflects that exact setting before proceeding with the setup.

Once your 4 screws are loose, you should be able to rotate the top section of the assembly fairly easily. Rotating the top section clockwise until its bottom tooth makes a <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="text-decoration: underline">hard </span></span>stop against the top tooth of the base part is crucial. This insures that none of the silicon lube, etc is preventing a true "stop" condition.

At that point, tightening the four top screws while not moving the upper section insures your settings will be retained.

The turret cover is then replaced and locked into position. Note that its set screws only lock against the top section of the zero stop. Therefore it only stops when the top, internal section stops.

These new zero stops are pretty much fool proof. Most issues I have seen involves the user missing a step in the setup or forgetting to properly set the zero prior to starting the process of setting the zero stop.

I am guessing that since you are <span style="text-decoration: underline"><span style="font-weight: bold">repeatedly</span></span> getting an exact 0.3 mil movement past your preferred turret setting, the scope is not broken or defective.

Be sure to update us on your findings when this is resolved.

Best regards,
Terry

Reactions: Adam Nelson

zerostop1.jpg

thanks every one, what i ended up doing was a no-no in the instructions from NF but i removed the clutch assembly and separated the two parts and then p[laced them together again, the bottom part has the eight or so holes foe the for screws form the top part and by rotating it by that one screw hole it has seamed to have fixed the issue ... seams to track well, just need to confirm everything out shooting

note: doing this had helped me do this "Once your 4 screws are loose, you should be able to rotate the top section of the assembly fairly easily. Rotating the top section clockwise until its bottom tooth makes a hard stop against the top tooth of the base part is crucial. This insures that none of the silicon lube, etc is preventing a true "stop" condition. "

before the tooth on the bottom and on the top were not making contact and i think it was grease, an o-rings , something giving way giving me the extra adjustment