• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns NightHawk 1911 AAC review

Sgt. 0811

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 22, 2005
Aurora, CO
I picked up this pistol last week and wanted at least 3 trips to the range and some time to really study the gun before writing a review. Please try and understand I am trying to not be bias in this but DAMN this thing is good. I have been seeing pictures of this 1911 for sometime and held back from ordering one at least a few times. My favorite local shop happened to get one in. No gun I have ever picked up before felt better than this one. I have to admit that kind of upset me. At least if it wasn't comfortable I could walk away, nope.
The first thing I noticed was that this gun is built with ultra slim grips, I am truly grateful for that but I seriously doubt this will fit the majority of men. I happen to have girl hands so for me it's a dream come true.
The (not checkering) pattern on the front strap and back strap is close to a chain link pattern but pretty unique. I love this style of "lightening cuts" I guess is what they are calling them. Checkering is great but I am a little put off with it now. I had a TRP Operator for a long time and ran a few 1000+ round days with it. It was painful. This type of grip really appeals to me now. I could see how this would become a little slippy though so again personal pref.
This was built with, as are most Nighthawks, a single sided safety. Nighthawk explains the 1911 was never intended for ambi safeties. They will install one at request but will not warranty them. The safety on the gun is a wide right handed safety which is a very positive on off. For the first 20 times or so it was almost too stiff. The slide has three cuts running the length of the slide to match cuts on an AAC can.
The takedown/ slide stop is also wide, makes it very tempting to use it as a slide release.
The pistol has a beveled magazine (beveled on the sides and rear. The magazine release is extended but just barely.
The entire pistol is dehorned. Front and rear cocking serrations. This I typically don't care for but the dehorning process makes the front serrations pretty much snag proof. The AAC is a bushing gun with no guide rod, personally I like that. The recoil spring plug is not checkered, weird.
The bits that really shine...
Okay, the trigger... dude... Oh My God... Dude... the trigger.
Seriously, this trigger is amazing it breaks at 3.5 lbs. every single time. I don't have a way to describe the trigger, it is simply outstanding. If you come across one try it.
The sights are Heinie/Trijicon high set sights. They use a figure 8 style of tritium insert instead of the more common 3 dot. The rear sight has a distinct ledge for one handed slide cycle if needed. I like the sights for 3 reasons. 1. There is an itty bitty gap in between the sides of the front sight and rear sight when lining them up. My personal preference but I feel I get a more precise shot that way. 2. I didn't expect it but I find the higher sights help me line up faster. 3. Obviously, they look over a suppressor.
As a nice touch the rear of the slide is serrated to match the rear sight serrations, nice touch.
Of course there is the threaded barrel .578 x 28 pitch
Last but not least, the build quality is insane on this pistol. The fit of slide to frame is flawless. Barrel lockup is definite and positive.
Range time
My first trip was a 200 round session about 15 min. after walking out of Green Mountain Guns. During the session. I fired both suppressed and un-suppressed. They gun ran perfectly. I tried to goof it up with a limp wrist and it still ran fine. I have heard complaints about Nighthawk magazines before but I don't see it, the stainless ones are (for what I can tell) Wilson's with nighthawk written on the base plate. The blued magazines are different, they have a metal follower but both ran fine. Unreal accuracy with this gun. This is a 1911 that truly out-shoots me. Everything remained in the x-ring through the 200 rounds at various distances up to 50ft.
The second session, again 200 rounds. This time, all various hollow points. Cor-bon, Federal Hydra shock, Gold saber, Horandy, winchester JHP. and a few others I simply had lying around. With this much variety I thought I could create some sort of failure... nope. In fact I couldn't tell a difference on paper either. All shots at 60ft. (new weird range by me I won't be going back to btw) anywhoo everything stayed in the x-ring.
Finally, a third trip to the range. 200 rounds Fiocci FMJ and winchester FMJ running speed drills, double taps, and Mozambique's. The gun ran fine and with sick precision.

Overall, this is the best pistol I've ever owned. Expense as shit but worth every penny. The old saying goes "beware the man with just one gun" I own and have owned a lot of guns that won't change, I love guns, but I have always maintained a favorite. Not that I have had many but this is the favorite of all of them.
IMG_0630.jpg

IMG_0629.jpg

IMG_0632.jpg

IMG_0631.jpg

IMG_0636.jpg

IMG_0635.jpg

IMG_0634.jpg

50ft group
IMG_0643.jpg

Double tap drills
IMG_0617.jpg

Re: NightHawk 1911 AAC review

Ok, where is the video for shooting the Osprey? I have been looking at them and yours looks really good on there.

I'll try, don't keep your hopes up I am the only Japanese guy in the world who can barely operate a camera.
The Osprey is awesome though. There are a ton of youtube videos with the osprey, in fact one guy who has this same setup.

I'll work on an Osprey review but here is the breakdown of it
Noise, about as loud as a 10/22 rifle un-supressed, deeper pitch though. No hearing protection required even indoors. It's not Hollywood quiet but pretty impressive. Outdoors the thing sounds super quiet. The pistons can be switched to fire smaller calibers .40SW 9mm. Obviously can be fired wet or dry. Fun as hell. Buy with confidence.

Oh, one more note about the Nighthawk... The gun has started to make me into a 1911 snob. I haven't said anything yet but the other day I was looking at a Ruger 1911 and caught myself thinking "aww that's kinda cute." I need to fight that instinct. I hate gun snobs.

Love my Nighthawk GRP Recon. I know what you mean about the trigger, it is so smooth and the slide feels like it is on ball bearings.

Good god, man. I've been thinking about one of these for a while but keep telling myself, "Nah, your Operator works just fine." But with a Osprey 45 on the way, I'd really like a dedicated host for it. You may have just cost me $3k. What a badass pistol.

Thanks ZLbubba. Listen, My last "favorite" pistol was a TRP Operator, so I know what a good gun that is. Believe me, this gun is worth every penny.

Nighthawk builds a beautiful 1911. I have a GRP Recon and can't say enough good things about it. To the OP, congrats on your purchase!

Thank you, going to the range AGAIN tomorrow. Seriously, I can't stop shooting this thing.
We used to have a member who's quote read "my name is _____ and I have a 1911 problem" I feel that now.

when you have a 1911 that costs almost as much as your most expensive bolt gun then you have a SERIOUS problem, lol.

very nice blaster bro. i have a commander coming as a supressor host

$2799.00 Thats pretty reasonable for such a nice 1911. Damn now I want one.
grin.gif
Very nice set up. And the perfect caliber for supressed fire. Kinda funny too cuz I got my first 1911 at Green mountain guns. They are great people. Thats an awesome system you have. Enjoy!
grin.gif

q1N6o.jpg

NighthawkAAC5copy.jpg

I agree with Sgt. 0811.
Good straight up review, with good assessments. The "Ball" cuts (backstrap, Front strap slide top) are flat out bitchen & work. It does have a thin grip. It was too thin for my mitts.
It is truly one of the, if the most comfortable 1911's I have handled. I have a few true customs & this one rivals them.
Totally dig mine. Accurate, reliable, easy to carry, good ergonomics, good fire controls. Nighthawk has these babies down. Make their own forged frames now by a company across street called PM Machine Co. They do not use Remsport anymore (as has been erroneously reported) & have not for some time.

HTH...