• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Nightvision

KOOutdoors

Private
Minuteman
Feb 29, 2012
Michigan
I'm looking to get night vision(probably pvs-14) to mount an an AR-15 with an EOTech. What companies should I avoid? and what ones are honest? What do I look for in the Data sheet?

Thoughts on MOD Armory and Ident and wilcox

Re: Nightvision

Go to the NV forum here (subforum of the Scope forum one down). There's lots of bitching between dealers, but really any of them here should be able to get you a good optic at a good price.

You'd be surprised on the amount of response, Also try a search for the info. I though I remembered coming across something similar the other day.

Wilcox supplies night vision mounts and other night vision accessories. The two major companies of night vision mounts are Wilcox and Norotos. Both make great mounts and there are a few advantages from each company. I'm not exactly sure what information you are looking for however with regards to mounting your PVS-14.

When customers want to transition from their helmet to their AR and back again we would recommend Wilcox with the Alamo Four Star DLoc. With the Wilcox JArm and the Alamo Four Star PVS-14 DLoc you can leave the JArm on your PVS-14 which allows for an easy transition. Also you can still swing your PVS-14 / Jarm from right eye to left eye as well. In addition because the DLOC does not twist you do not have to worry about clearing any backup iron sights. The height is designed to work with EOTechs and Aimpoints.

For the data sheet you want to know about Signal to Noise, Resolution (LP/MM) and FOM.
For resolution having 64 LP/MM is like having 20/20 vision.
Signal to noise is how well your night vision performs in darkness. Does a company gaurantee certain specifications? Does a company stock night vision?
On our units we stock they have a 25 and above signal to noise.

Another major thing to consider is that a unit can have great specifications but will not be image clean. Image clean means no spots 3,000ths or larger, no honey comb, shading, scintillation, etc.

I hope that helps point you in the right direction. Let us know if you have any additional questions.

If you meant Ed Wilcox, and not Wilcox Industries, he's very good to go. He's a great guy and is a magician when it comes to repairing older night vision.

Wilcox Industries is the company that Camille mentioned, they make NV stuff and other systems for the special ops community.

Another alternative is to find a source for the tube and give them the specs you're looking for, then take the tube and install it in a PVS-14 housing (or other) yourself.