• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Nikon BDC reticle?

Remsen

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 11, 2006
Northern California (occupied)
Natchez is having a sale on "refurbished" (they claim that they aren't actually refurbed, just unsold units from a large retailer) scopes. One of them is this Buckmasters scope with a BDC reticle.

At $149, it seems to be a screaming bargain.

Has anyone ever used the Nikon BDC reticle and if so, any thoughts on how it works for hunting? I have a 7 mag with an old Leupy 3-9 and a new Kimber 7-08 and if the BDC is useful I was thinking that it would be a good scope for deer and antelope hunting on either rifle.

Re: Nikon BDC reticle?

BDC reticle are partial solutions to non existent problems. They are designed for folks you cannot take the time, or don't want to learn, how to actually use a mil or moa based reticle, and how to work up dope for their rifle and load.

BDC's do simply solve your gross elevation problem, but do nothing to solve your windage problem. And wind will queer your shot faster than tanking the elevation will.

When you talking about shooting game well beyond 300 yds, you must consider BOTH windage and elevation, and angles if need be, or why bother.

IMHO and YMMV,

Bob

The BDC is actually useful on a hunting rifle. I've got both a Nikon with a BDC and a NF with MOA reticle. The BDC is very useful for hunting because depending on your hunting situation, you may not have time to adjust turrets for shots. I zeroed my Nikon and shot the ranges that matched the BDC and you can very quickly adjust for various ranges by holdover with the reticle. So for hunting it is very useful and very quick for varying distances. I'm not much of a fan of the BDC for target shooting though because it has a pretty course crosshair. You can go on Nikon's website and look at the reticle thickness. But for hunting it helps in low light. Just my $.02.

I have a Nikon with the BDC, and I have Leupold's with both the VH reticle and the B&C reticle.

IMO the Nikon reticle is just a jumbled up mess. Circles everywhere-covering everything up-obviously I do not like that reticle.

Now the Leupold VH reticle works very well. Good thin subtensions with additional aiming points for wind adjustments. Which as stated above is very important.

The VH and B&C reticle can be used in considerably more shooting situations. As long as you have a good LRF. When used in conjunction with a good LRF you can use the reticles fairly easily out to 400 or 500 yards. But past that gimmick reticles are not the way to go. Tom.

In general I don't like the BDC retical either. I have one on my muzzle loader, and for the ranges a the retical supports for a muzzle loader (or a shotgun shooting slugs) it is OK. On a rifle, however, I think the circles are just not precise enough an aiming reference to be using at 300, 400, 500, 600 yards.
On rifles, I like the Burris BalistiPlex an Ballistic Mil Dot reticals much more.

BDC reticles have their place. I run one on my coyote hunting AR, total of 11 moa of elevation and hash marks are calibrated for a 10 mph wind, gets me out to 525 yds. If you break them down to the moa between the lines you have good hold points out to the maximum range. Lot of guys like AGOG's and that is a BDC reticle. Like anything you have to put in the time and practice to take advantage of the reticle.

I use mine on a 22lr I have. It allows me to shoot beyond 200 yards without running out of elevation adjustment. It has its uses but remember that it does not take into account ammo loads, humidity,wind, and other factors that affect trajectory. It serves its purpose for a specific load if you use it for hunting only.