• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Nikon BuckMaster for FinnFire???

wksinatl

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 30, 2001
Atlanta, Ga
I have decided to buy a new BuckMaster for a Sako FinnFire. I'm convinced of the optical quality but have a few questions on the knobs. I need a scope w/ target knobs for this rifle. We shoot from 25yds to 300yds and need repeatable adjustments. I have (or have had) Leupold MK 4's, USO's, and NF. I know what the knobs on these look like but can't seem to find pics of the Nikon's knobs.

It appears that the BM comes w/ 2 sets of knobs, one set used with the turret covers and one set for exposed target knobs. I am interested in the 4.5-14x Mil-Dot model shown here: http://www.opticsplanet.net/nikon-ri...s-4-14x40.html

<span style="font-weight: bold">Does the BM's come with 2 sets of knobs?
Does anyone have a closeup pic of the target knobs?</span>

I appreciate the help!

Keith

Re: Nikon BuckMaster for FinnFire???

I have 2 buckmasters one is the one you are looking at and it only has 1 set of knobs. My 6-18 has 2 sets of knobs one of which is target knobs

As far as repetability and reliable moves and returning to zero I wouldn't count on it holding up to your expectations if you have used NF USO etc. They are good scopes but I found that setting a zero at 200 or 250 and leaving it was the best thing for my Nikon.

I just cheched the boxes to see the difference between the two. The one that comes with 2 sets of knobs specifies that it has target turrets. They are the taller turrets that fit the target knobs. So if you want one with 2 sets just make sure to order the target turret model.

Gillie,
Thanks for the info. Maybe I need to rethink my choices.

Keith

I ran a 6-18 BM on my medium weight 300WM and it dialed up and down many repeatable times from 100-400 yards....for the money you could do a whole lot worse.

I Have the 4-14 on a 22-250 in my pickup, dialed up and down on a regular basis, Never had a problem with it.

6-18 BM on my CZ 22 trainer. Dial to 200+ every time I shoot it. I have never experienced a change in zero or unreliable performance from the scope. That includes dialing wind at 200. With a 50 yard zero, I still have 5 or 6 MOA left when dialed to 200.
If you are going to 300 with it, I would plan on purchasing a 20 MOA base for the rifle.
I would not hesitate to purchase another for this type of rifle.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MTETM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I Have the 4-14 on a 22-250 in my pickup, dialed up and down on a regular basis, Never had a problem with it.

6-18 BM on my CZ 22 trainer. Dial to 200+ every time I shoot it. I have never experienced a change in zero or unreliable performance from the scope. That includes dialing wind at 200. With a 50 yard zero, I still have 5 or 6 MOA left when dialed to 200.
If you are going to 300 with it, I would plan on purchasing a 20 MOA base for the rifle.
I would not hesitate to purchase another for this type of rifle. </div></div>

Good to hear you guys trust the knob's repeatability. Yes, I do have HotRod9mm's rail on it. I have one on order for a CZ Varmint also. I wish the 6-18 had 1/4moa clicks though. I am also going with Burris sig zee rings for more moa adjustment.

I was shooting a Volqaurtsen barreled 10/22 w/ a MK4 3.5-10x and still had plenty adjustment left with a 15moa rail. We were shooting at 275yds. My bud was shooting his Kidd built 10/22 using a Trijicon 3-9x (Mil Dot), also at 275yds. He was using a 15moa rail and also had some adjustment left, even though it is a 1" tube.

It's looking like the 4.5-14x does NOT have target knobs.

thanks for the replies,
Keith

Keith,
I will try to switch my target knobs from the 6-18 to the 4-14 and see if they are the same. I have been told they are, but I have never tried. If they are, you can purchase the tall knobs directly from Nikon. Just order the 6-18 target or tall knobs. Give Nikon a call.

I don't worry about the 1/8 or 1/4 "clicks" Think in MOA, NOT clicks. If I need 15.5 MOA, I dial 15.5 MOA, not 'x' number of clicks.

MTETM,
That would be great. That will have alot to do with what scope I buy.

Thanks a bunch!

Keith

I tried to put the target turret "tall" knobs from my 6-18 on the 4.5-14 it doesn't work unless the 4.5-14 has the tall turrets on it. Mine has the short turrets on the 4.5-14 and tall on 6-18. It should work if you went tall to tall.

As far as holding zero, I set my 6-18 knobs to "0" after sighting in on my .204 and after about 4 months of use diling up more than 1 turn and back down for longer shots then back to zero the last time I sited in my knob that started on zero was at 5 of the 6 MOA on the knob. So my zero had moved a whole minute over that time span. I never dial my 4.5-14 with short turrets just set zero and left it and it seemed to be fine. I went to a NF recently for my new setup so I can dial all I want with no issues.

Don't want to scare you away from Nikon because I still use both of mine and really like them but they are not perfect, however, for the money a damn fine scope. Just my opinion but dont get a BDC recticle in my opinion they are worse than holding over with a Mil dot or even a regualar "crosshair".

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gilly</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I tried to put the target turret "tall" knobs from my 6-18 on the 4.5-14 it doesn't work unless the 4.5-14 has the tall turrets on it. Mine has the short turrets on the 4.5-14 and tall on 6-18. It should work if you went tall to tall.

As far as holding zero, I set my 6-18 knobs to "0" after sighting in on my .204 and after about 4 months of use diling up more than 1 turn and back down for longer shots then back to zero the last time I sited in my knob that started on zero was at 5 of the 6 MOA on the knob. So my zero had moved a whole minute over that time span. I never dial my 4.5-14 with short turrets just set zero and left it and it seemed to be fine. I went to a NF recently for my new setup so I can dial all I want with no issues.

Don't want to scare you away from Nikon because I still use both of mine and really like them but they are not perfect, however, for the money a damn fine scope. Just my opinion but dont get a BDC recticle in my opinion they are worse than holding over with a Mil dot or even a regualar "crosshair". </div></div>

Thanks for taking the time to try them. I think I have gotten spoiled by the MK 4's, USO and NF's. I need to re-think this project.

thanks,
Keith

Keith,

Midway has the 6-18 Nikon BM w/target knobs on sale for $300, but I believe it ends today???? (almost sure of it)

When I checked it out, they were out of stock, but expected to get them in soon. (less than 30 days) They did say you could back-order at that price, you just need a little patience.

-Pat

I just tried, see I am not the first.....
They are NOT interchangeable. Oh well, it would have been nice.

I still haven't had a problem with POI/Zero shift in a year. Each scope may be a bit different. 6 MOA per revolution.

Good luck with your project.

Eric

If you are set on Nikon there is a Nikon tactical I just saw in the for sale forum here might work for you. Its a little higher than a buckmaster new but may work.