• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Nikon FX1000 4-16x50 or Bushnell Forge 3-18x50 FFP

drewdude

Private
Minuteman
Oct 18, 2019
Hello,

I will be using this on a 22-250 bolt gun. I plan on using it for target shooting 95% of the time and hunting coyote 5% of the time. The rifle will rarely be in my back outside of a case; however, there may have to be times I walk through thick bush with it out of a case. The area and time of year I will be using will be cooler (0-10 degrees Celsius) and cloudy a lot.

question 1:
Which scope in your opinion will be better at keeping the reticle clearly visible at lower magnification (without using the illumination)? And would the difference between the two be that noticeable?

question 2:
Should I be worried about loosing zero while walking through the bush with the Nikon considering there are no turret locks?

question 3:
Which will have the best and widest eye relief at all magnifications (I hate it when scopes leave me with a small sweet spot to see the full field of view)

Question 4: is there anything else I should consider as a factor in my decision between these two scopes?

things I like about the Nikon over the bushnell:
- illuminated reticle
- price
- trust in the brand
- optical bang for buck

things I like about the bushnell over the Nikon:
- lockable turrets
- higher magnification range 3-18 vs 4-16

I was also considering the bushnell Nitro as well due to its cost and the fact that it gives me almost everything I want.

I have checked out the other brands available through my LGS (which I will buy the scope from) which are Burris, Steiner, Zeiss, Simmons, Tasco, Leupold; but they do not offer anything within my price range that I’d be interested in.

Thanks in advance!

Get the Bushnell forge. Better warranty, forge has 6x zoom ratio and the Nikon only has 4x.

Thank you, but I live in Canada, and it’s pretty difficult and exspensive to get a ‘tactical’ scope shipped across the border.

I just looked threw these two i was debating between the 2. Bushnell has better glass and locking turretts. Nikon has the better reticle and turrets both felt great on tge scopes. Just my opinion when i played with the 2

I just looked threw these two i was debating between the 2. Bushnell has better glass and locking turretts. Nikon has the better reticle and turrets both felt great on tge scopes. Just my opinion when i played with the 2

thank you,

how visible was the reticle on the forge at lower magnifications? And that’s impressive to hear the bushnell has better glass considering how many good things I’ve heard about the Nikon’s glass quality. I understand it can be pretty subjective, but what about it would you say was better?

It sure seemed clear around the edges brighter and just made the colors pop more but the Nikon is no slouch it is very good to

The radicals for me are hard to see under eight power basically I usually keep my skope 10 or above

Thank you for that, I was curious at what point they became in effective. So at 10 and above they do well? Is there any way you can get a photo at 6, 8, 10 and 12 power for me sometime?

The radicals for me are hard to see under eight power basically I usually keep my skope 10 or above

I just played with them i dont own one. I do have a steiner m5 3 15 and that never goes below 10 or cant see it at all

What about the Nikon, can you remember how that one was? Because I was thinking that if it disappeared, all you would have to do is illuminate the reticle and bam

I have not been to impressed with my Nikon fx1000 4-16. I wish it had a capped windage turret. On a recent elk hunt my windage turret came loose after a bumpy utv ride in. Ended up making the rifle useless until I could confirm zero. I really think my SWFA 3-15 has better glass to my eye.

Thank you for that, that’s one of my fears. I intend on having this gun in a boot on the side of a snowmobile and quad.

Do you think a scope cover would have helped?

I wish I could get a capped or a lockable capped turret with illumination and Mil reticle in my price range. With at least decent glass.

I have not been to impressed with my Nikon fx1000 4-16. I wish it had a capped windage turret. On a recent elk hunt my windage turret came loose after a bumpy utv ride in. Ended up making the rifle useless until I could confirm zero. I really think my SWFA 3-15 has better glass to my eye.

Thank you for that, that’s one of my fears. I intend on having this gun in a boot on the side of a snowmobile and quad.

Do you think a scope cover would have helped?

I wish I could get a capped or a lockable capped turret with illumination and Mil reticle in my price range. With at least decent glass.
Yeah I think a cover or tighter fit in the case would have helped. Now I shove an extra knit cap in the case to ensure it doesn’t move around as much.

I do think the Nikon Fx1000 is a good bang for the buck. Mine tracks fine, has decent glass, and the reticle is ok. The blogger coldbore miracle has a good write up on the fx1000 black. It convinced me to purchase one.

Last edited:
Reactions: drewdude
I just played with them i dont own one. I do have a steiner m5 3 15 and that never goes below 10 or cant see it at all
We’re you able to see the forges reticle at all at the lower magnifications? Below 8 that is.

I would definitely recommend going with Bushnell on this one.

You should be able to find them online for a decent price!

Just keep looking you’ll find em!

Yes I do have one! And I really like it. They must be working on something new

I’ve got a few of them and they all track very well, last winter I sent my elite tactical in because the tube kept fogging up I must have hit it really hard somewhere.. and the sent me back a new one! No questions asked., but other than that I have never had an issue with em

It’s hard to tell the difference until the sun starts going down..

And no I didn’t buy one, I ended up changing my train of thought on it. Decided I’d be willing to spend more on a scope if it had a hashed reticle, illuminated reticle and capped/locking turrets. Neither of these ended up meeting all of that criteria.

And no I didn’t buy one, I ended up changing my train of thought on it. Decided I’d be willing to spend more on a scope if it had a hashed reticle, illuminated reticle and capped/locking turrets. Neither of these ended up meeting all of that criteria.

Lmll
What did you get?

I’ll either be doing a tract toric 4-20 30mm FFP, delta titanium, NightForce SHV, or bushnell elite LRHSi... it will depend on what’s on sale and what not when I go to buy. But I’d be content with either.

I am also waiting on Koshkin to finish a review on the tract toric. That will help with my decision.

I just bought a new gun safe, so that’s going to let my rifle and scope purchase.

When I buy, I will post my thoughts on here.

thank you for you input btw.

Hey camraland has some good deals on the 3 12 44 and the dmrii 3 21 50 just to let you know. I think im gonna donome of those 2. I hrard great things on tract

I tried through camera land, they cannot ship to Canada. Thanks for the heads up though! Wish I could!

Last edited:
Is what it is man. Doug said they wish they could, just the regulations don’t allow it.