• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Nikon Laserforce vs Leica Geovid HD-B 2000

Guyotrd

Private
Minuteman
Feb 23, 2013
This year's Elk hunt was especially difficult due to heavy snow and 14 degrees F temperature. The usual process of digging in the pack for the rangefinder, getting the binoculars dialed in and taking off my gloves to operate the two devices was far more taxing then in less extreme situations. I currently own Nikon Monarch X bino's in 8.5x45 and a Nikon Rifle Hunter Rangefinder and have been happy with both. I though it might be time to solve the too many devices problem with either the Leica or Nikon.

As the Leica is now being discounted to 2k because a newer model has been released these two are seldom compared. I would appreciate any observations from those that have experience with both.

From reading reviews the Leica add's a ballistic calculator and temp and pressure sensors to give the best shooting solution, and I imagine the glass is better - but is it 1000 $ better I am not sure - The Nikon comes with a lifetime warranty I believe (their website is confusing on this) and measures incline, like the Leica, but no calculator. I think the leica is 5 years.

If I bought the Nikon I would get custom turrets for my scope and that would simplify dialing the shot. Or I could get a Kestrel and solve the real problem of accurate wind calculation - but this leads back to device sprawl. One downside of the Leica is that the custom ballistics memory card can only take one rifle cartridge - so you need two memory cards for two hunters and more hassle - if I am going to have a toy like this I would like to be able to calculate my son's shot as well as mine when we hunt together.

I have a pair of the nikons, and a buddy has the leicas. We both shoot PRS and when we range the targets together we are writhin a yard of each other. The glass on my Nikon is not in the same league as the leica, but either is the cost. I am very happy with the Nikons and ranged a house at 1700 yards. For the extra $1000 dollars for the leicas you can buy a kestrel or another scope!!! The Leica will do better at dusk and dawn when it is a little darker, but for me in PRS I am not shooting at that time so I'll save my money.

Thanks sasquatch98266 for the response. It is good to know the Nikon's perform in ranging.

I had a chance to compare the Nikons, $1200 to the the Leica Geovid R for $1400 yesterday. In a huge store at about 60 yds the Leica's crushed the Nikons in optical quality as you stated. I would have still gone for the Nikon's because of the lifetime no questions warranty, except they had a fair amount of Chromatic Aberration and worst of all there was a substantial blue tint, which I had seen on pictures on-line but thought it might just have been the camera used. That would probably effect right before and after sunrise and sunset viewing at distance right when the hunting is best.

In addition, I am not racist or anything but have found that stuff made in China is often lower quality - because WE drive that paradigm. Unfortunately at a Macro level our whole culture seems to be focused on price instead of quality. There are exceptions where QC is tight and I am sure in 20 years their stuff will be much better, just like made in Japan was also synonymous with lower quality in the the 70's and is as good or better than here now. As an exception, my Monarch X are made in China and they are quite good. (excuse the rant)

When I compared both to my old stand alone Nikon Monarch X and they were close enough to the Leica's that I am still satisfied with them, but I really want to consolidate. There was no blue tint or CA in the Monarch X.

I found the Leica HD-B Demo's in the 2000 and 2200 for a substantial discount, and the ballistics calculator would be useful. Does anyone know the difference between the two, perhaps the range?

Now the big question is to get the 8 or 10 power. I selected 8.5 instead of 10 on my old Nikon's primarily because the ability to get a steady image when holding free hand for longer periods and also because of low light advantage. I observed that the military who really rely on them for life and death typically use 7 or 8 power. But.. as these will be used for longer range shooting perhaps I should just learn to hold the 10's steady. The question becomes where do you cross over from a Bino to a spotting scope?