• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Nikon M-223 4-12X40 BDC Long Term Review

Hi Speed

Private
Minuteman
Mar 28, 2006
Chester, S.C.
I realize this scope has been reviewed a lot but I wanted to give ya'll a personal opinion of it after having put one through it's paces for a year. I narrowed down my choices to Nikon M-223 4-12 and the Leupold Mark AR 4-12. I opted for the Nikon because 1)The glass was a little better (more vibrant) to my eye
2)The BDC reticle was matched to my round of choice (Fed Prem 55gr NBT at 3240fps). This scope is on a DPMS sweet 16 all dolled up on a match 16" barrel. This is my farm/coy dog gun. Being able to get on target and squeeze was my main goal in this build. BDC is awesome here.
3)can't believe a nikon burst my loopy bubble.

I realize the 16" barrel is not conducive to high velocity (3240fps) but after shooting this set up to 690yds, you merely place your 600yd bubbles lowest point where you want to hit at 600yds instead of center of ring.

This rig has been strapped to four wheeler racks, ridden shotgun for 6 months in the truck. Eradicated a cooter infestation at the local honey hole, and bagged so many dogs it's not funny. My son shot his first buck with it. 4 years old. I have shot groups that rival those of my GAP's and 10fp. ( I will elaborate more on this later) Everything is scratched, used, slightly abused, and the scope has proven not to be the weak link like so many optics are.

I have performed box tests at 100 and 200yds to confirm tracking. It is no slouch and exceeded all expectations. Its dead on. I like the turrets but here is my only gripe. I carry this set up on a one point sling and after tromping through briars and bending down to go under limbs etc and crossing fences and jumping creeks the turrets tend to turn on their own. you must constantly confirm their settings. I just return to zero and she's gtg. At first i was let down which led to the box tests. I can live with this cause I trust everything about the scope, this is to include the easily turned turrets.

This set ups ability to shoot 5 shot groups at 100yds that can be covered completely with a dime have led to many friendships and request's to build other peoples rigs. Some of which are members here. One was referred to in my last thread about the Vortex Crossfire scope fail on a budget 10fp build.

DISCLAIMER My thought processes are somewhat hampered but not totally shut down by the fact that every waking moment is spent with Hi Speed Jr.. Any questions are welcome and if you pick the post apart i'm sure you'll find run on sentences, mispelled words, and an opinion or two you don't agree with. This site has learned me a lot and I'm merely trying to give back. Thanks