• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Nikon Monarch 4X16 42 mm Mil Dot

Ark. Trapper

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 27, 2009
Aetna, Arkansas
Ok Guys I'm looking over scopes for my new rifle and have pretty much settled on the Monarch 4X16 42mm with Mil Dot reticle and a Kenton Industries elevation turret. I'd like to know how you folks like your Monarchs. The good
grin.gif
and the bad
mad.gif
, I want to hear it all. I've got a 4.5X14 Buckmaster that I really like. Thanks in advance.

Re: Nikon Monarch 4X16 42 mm Mil Dot

I guess I should have said that this is a long range hunting rifle, not a tac-ops rig. It's a Savage action with a shilen barrel in 25/300WSM. I've got plenty of room around here for shots up to 600+ yards. Just looking for a good clear reliable, and repeatable optic for less than $600.

Ain't nothing wrong with the Nikon Monarch neighbor

Had a Buckmaster, looked through a couple of Monarchs, and I really liked them.

-Pat

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ark. Trapper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've got plenty of room around here for shots up to 600+ yards.</div></div>

Max Internal Adjustment
40 MOA

Better keep searching, brother.

ain't nothing an angled base won't fix and still stay under the price barrier

I've got two Monarchs, love them both. Had zero problems and the glass is very crisp and clear. Love the BDC reticle in the scope on my .308. Sorry but when you are on budget, the Monarch has all the features you can afford.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ark. Trapper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ok Guys I'm looking over scopes for my new rifle and have pretty much settled on the Monarch 4X16 42mm with Mil Dot reticle and a Kenton Industries elevation turret. I'd like to know how you folks like your Monarchs. The good
grin.gif
and the bad
mad.gif
, I want to hear it all. I've got a 4.5X14 Buckmaster that I really like. Thanks in advance. </div></div>

Trapper,

I'm not going to try to talk into or out of buying what you like. The particular Monarch your looking at has some good features; Very good to excellent glass, and a good price point $450.ish....

The bad:

Nikon has some of the most insipid customer service in the Optics industry. As a company they don't really seem to care, their CS employees don't seem care; there attitude is you bought it, so what do you want us to do about it????

Moving on, with only 40 MOA of adjustment in the Monarch 4-16, you'd better hope you don't need more than 20 MOA to get where you going. Even the standard 20 MOA base cannot help you get there, because you cannot get a 100 yd zero in a 40 MOA scope with a 20 MOA base.

In my view, unless your shooting a laser, to comfortably to reach 600 yds. and beyond, you need a scope that starts with at least 50 MOA of adjustment. Yes, with a real flat shooting round, you can get to 600 with less than 20 MOA, but how much of that 20 MOA are you going to lose just sighting in? So why push it.

There is a boatload of scopes, under $600. that have at least 50 MOA, including ones with the Nikon name on them, if that's what you fancy . Now go find them......

IMHO, YMMV....

I'm shooting a 110 grain Nosler Accubond at 3491fps, and according to The Best of the West ballistics calculator I should be able to get to 900 yards with 15 MOA using a 300 yard zero.

I had the exact scope you are considering, albeit with the standard elevation turrets. Glass is very good, turrets are positive and repeatable, and the price is not bad. As mentioned above, the amount of adjustment is very limited, all though you can somewhat accommodate this with a 20MOA base and using the mil dots as holdover. The only reason I sold the one I had was simply because I really didn't have a rifle to use the scope on. I originally picked it up to use on a 20" AR, but wanted 1/2" clicks (instead of the Monarch's 1/4). It has a very generous eye relief, and worked quite well in in a LaRue SPR.