• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Rifle Scopes Nikon Monarch 5-20x44 Opinions?

wolf6151

Private
Minuteman
May 22, 2011
Pearland, Tx.
Anyone have experience with this scope? Pros, Cons, reviews or opinions? I'm thinking of putting it on a Remington 700 VS that I will soon have re-barreled, most likely to .243 that I will use for paper punching 100-300 yds. but occasionally out to 600-1000 yds. and possibly some deer hunting. Opinions on the scope? Thanks.

Re: Nikon Monarch 5-20x44 Opinions?

Had one and liked it alot...was my very first foray into "good" glass. Not terribly heavy, side focus, nice bright image. Seemed to be a *very* slight yellowish tint at high magnification settings. Only 34MOA elevation which can be a concern for long range, but 'Shooter" app shows a 107gr SMK @ 3000fps needs 27.4 MOA to 1000yd at sea level/standard atmosphere so I'd imagine a 10-20MOA base or Signature Zee rings with inserts would fix you up.

Sold it to finance a Bushy 4200 6-24x50 FFP.

There are better choices out there, but I think its a fine piece of equipment and you can find them used in the $300-350 range.

Very good glass, some of the best for the money, like mentioned it suffers from lack of elevation adjustment. But with you given intention and the round I would say you will be happy with it for a long time especially with a canted base.

Overall

Good scope. I have one and had it on a .308. I consider it light for its size. I recently replaced the scope and have not decided to sell it, because for the money, it is hard to replace. Like others stated limited elevations travel, but a .243 has the advantage over my .308. I had it on a 20 moa base, and even with the canted base I only had 26 moa to use. (All the scopes I have used on this rifle seem to never even find the middle of the road so it could be something with my rifle.) Also, I can look at again, but I think there was 6 moa per knob turn and they are 1/8 moa adj...this caused me some speed and location memory issues shooting past 400 yds. I would have to check the target turrets, but I never used them. They may give you more moa per turns but I cannot verify that right now.

The Glass

Images are crisp, and I did not notice any yellow even when compared to my IOR. I know its subjective, but I desired better performance during low light hunting. My IOR 3-18 42 and my buddy's Sightron S3 3.5-10 44 are much more usable in the early am or late pm hours. But, it has to be compared to the price of both those scopes. Also, I questioned the actual 20x magnification. It doesn't seem any more powerful than my IOR's 18x. In reading other reviews, this 20x question was mentioned also.

The turrets

Except 1/8 clicks limited moa per turn..no cons. Both things I listed may be of no issue to you with that .243. Also, mine passed a box test with flying colors. You should have a choice of 3 turrets that come at no extra cost with that scope. That will give you variety as the target knobs are large in size and the smalls tuck away nicely. There is a definite click on each notch and they re zero by a top screw which is very easy to use.

Again, overall good scope. I used it to hunt deer for two years and I shot paper out to 500 maybe 600 with this rifle. I often used it for a spotting other shooter's shots. I had no desire to replace mine until I looked through a S3 as almost all my hunting is done in the low light hours. For what you stated, I would guess it would serve you well. Make sure you check Ebay. I picked mine up new for around 360.00. The selling company was out of the northwest.

I know scope reviews can be subjective, but I like this scope even with the cons.

Blessings!

owned 4-16 and use 2.5-10 on my hunting rifle. IMHO they are hard to beat without spending a whole bunch of $. waiting for a bushnell 2.5-16 for my paper puncher. hope they live up to expectations.

Great scopes for the cash. Glass is hard to beat until you get up into the 900.00 range. They track well they have fairly good eye relief just great scopes for the mid range price scopes.

If you had to compare the Nikon Monarch to a Vortex Viper 6.5-20x44, how do they compare and who get's your vote? Thanks.