• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Nikon Monarch 8-32x50 HELP!

Spanky88

Private
Minuteman
Mar 30, 2009
College Station, TX
Hello everyone. This is my first post on sniper's hide. I look forward to any information I can get. Here goes...

I was recently able to obtain a Nikon Monarch 8-32x50 with their new extra low dispersion glass. I jumped on the chance to get the scope new from a friend for more the 50% off retail value. It was only after I made the purchase that I found a little bit of a problem with my intended use for the scope. I would like to put the scope on a 700 .308 build that I am currently in the middle of, and would like to be able to shoot out to 800 yards. Here lies the problem. The scopes maximum windage/elevation adjustment is only 20 MOA, as in only 10 up and 10 down. Wow, was my reaction. Such a clear and powerful scope with so little ability. I understand that the higher the magnification, the less amount of room for adjustment, but 20 seems a little limited.

My question is: What solution, if any, is the most practical for my situation? I may be wrong, but wont a 20 MOA tapered base still leave me 10 MOA high from the start? Please help!!! I would die if I had to waste this scopes power and clarity by limiting it to 400 yards!

- Clayton -

Re: Nikon Monarch 8-32x50 HELP!

You need a 20 MOA one piece inclined base. Brownells 1-800-741-0015.
I suggest Warne base and rings as they are bullet proof and quite reasonable.

Correct me if im wrong, which I probably am because I am still learning about MOA adjustment basics, but with a 20 MOA inclined base and only 10 MOA in elevation adjustment if the scope is theoretically at zero, wouldn't i still be 10 MOA high before I zero (preferably at 200)? If not please explain. Like I said, Im learning and I would appreciate any info. Thanks for the quick response Humble. I gotta get to class ill check back later tonight.

- Clayton -

it depends. alot of the rifles ive sighted in the the crosshairs are actually above where the bores pointing. cause the bullet is going to be rising in the first 100 yards.

Ive never measured the exact amount, but i know when bore sighting with a laser on a wall 20 feet away i put the crosshairs about 1 mill higher, and its on paper at 100 every time.

even with the base I dont think youll be able to get to 1000. If you havent used it yet, I would try to sell it. And then look to get a Sightron 8-32 x 56 or the 6-24 x 50. I have the 6-24 and I will gaurantee you like it.

hope you get it sorted out

I would not start with a 20MOA base, although until you try any base you won't really know.
The safest bet is a 0 MOA base, but it will likely leave you with little or no elevation adjustment.

Because of the variables involved, action and/or barrel fitting, it's a bit of a crap shoot. Were it mine, I would likely try a 10MOA base and keep my fingers crossed.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Spanky88</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
My question is: What solution, if any, is the most practical for my situation? I may be wrong, but wont a 20 MOA tapered base still leave me 10 MOA high from the start? Please help!!! I would die if I had to waste this scopes power and clarity by limiting it to 400 yards!

- Clayton - </div></div>

Clayton, take a deep breath. You might die, but don't do that just yet.

#1: Crank the elevation knob through its entire range of travel. Count the clicks or the MOA, and figure out how much it really has. If it's truly 20 MOA of total adjustment, then you should sell this scope, as it's almost completely impractical for your intended purpose.

#2: "Almost" completely impractical, UNLESS your scope has a mil-dot reticle, in which case you can use the dots for holdover/holdunder aiming. Sure, this ain't a perfect method, but it's the only way your scope will suffice.

#3: You've surmised correctly about the 20 MOA base causing you problems. Chances are that you will not be able to attain a 100y zero by tilting the scope down 20 MOA.

#4: This scope sounds suitable for a rimfire out to about 100y, or for a very flat shooting varmint chambering out to 500y, provided it's mounted on a 10 MOA taper.

#5: Still despairing? I hear that Costco sells coffins cheaper than your local mortuary.
wink.gif

Alrighty... first off, thanks for everyones input. Everyone has a decent point and theres a couple things I think I will try before I get rid of this thing.

1. Nate: 209 total clicks of elevation adjustment, BUT those are 1/8" adjustments. This puts me at a whopping 26.125 MOA. A little better than expected, but not quite enough for a 20 MOA base.
2. Rafael: The 10 MOA base sounds like the best place to start. Any suggestions on a make or model for a RH Rem. 700 SA one piece? I don't see many 10's as opposed to 20's which are everywhere.
3. Blackhawk: I definitely should have looked at the Sightrons. They look amazing. I guess I learned not to assume that just because the scope is powerful, it does not mean it is equally adjustable.

Anyone have a favorite 1 piece 10 MOA tapered base/ring set for 1" tube? 700 Short Action

Spanky, if your interested a buddy of mine can get you a Sightron 6-24 x 50 for a really good deal. its got 100 moa of elevation. and super clear glass.

I almost got one of the same scopes you have now but backed out once i looked up the specs. thats when i bought my sightron. Im looking to getting another one too.

good luck

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Spanky88</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Alrighty... first off, thanks for everyones input. Everyone has a decent point and theres a couple things I think I will try before I get rid of this thing.

1. Nate: 209 total clicks of elevation adjustment, BUT those are 1/8" adjustments. This puts me at a whopping 26.125 MOA. A little better than expected, but not quite enough for a 20 MOA base.
2. Rafael: The 10 MOA base sounds like the best place to start. Any suggestions on a make or model for a RH Rem. 700 SA one piece? I don't see many 10's as opposed to 20's which are everywhere.
3. Blackhawk: I definitely should have looked at the Sightrons. They look amazing. I guess I learned not to assume that just because the scope is powerful, it does not mean it is equally adjustable.

</div></div>

Typically, a flat mount will result in a scope that still is a few/several MOA above the midway point of the scope's internal adjustment range. So, given that your scope has maybe 26 MOA of total elevation (this means up AND down, boys and girls), then it would probably mean that your 100y zero would be somewhere above 13 MOA from the bottom, and perhaps closer to 15-18. As with all Remington 700s, the receiver variance cannot be predicted.

BUT, what I'm getting at is that maybe a 15 MOA taper will get you your most usable elevation range. Not to mention that EGW happens to make/sell a 15 MOA taper base.
smile.gif

See it here: http://egw-guns.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=180

They don't make a 10 MOA, and I didn't look too hard to see who might. Satern maybe, as a custom deal?

Anyway, I still say that you should sell this scope. You got it for a good price, right? If, as you say, you paid about half of "retail", then this means you got it for about $350-400. (A quick Google search shows places selling them for about $700 with the 'BDC' reticle...) If you got it for half of "MSRP", then God help you, you might have paid $450-500 for it. Even so, that's a good bit less than street price, i.e. $700.

So, sell it, then buy something with some elevation adjustment for crying out loud!
smile.gif

As to rings, given that money isn't growing on trees, I recommend you try/buy the Burris XTR. Their "low", i.e. 0.841" from base top to ring centerline, should accommodate this scope depending on the EGW base thickness. See, one component depends on the next. IT'S A SYSTEM, BOYS AND GIRLS. It's not friggin' as simple as you turds asking "What ring height, blah blah blah" a hundred f'ing gazillion times each month, you lazy wanker maggots!

Okay, I digress. So, Burris XTR "low" (1/4" from base top to ring radius bottom) might work, but for sure Burris XTR "medium" (1/2" in that same dimension) will work.

Back to the better solution. Sell the scope, and buy the new Sightron SIII 6-24x50 with mildot reticle. For about $750, it's a lot of scope. Right there with Nightforce, for about half the cost. How do I know this? I have 'em both.
smile.gif

Love the Nikons too -- I have five or six of their scopes -- but not this 8-32x50 thing. It's as impractical as the B&L 4200 6-24 was/is, with about twenty MOA of 'up'. Pathetic!
wink.gif

I wish I had been as smart as you. Ha. I think I'll give it a shot if I can find a good 10 MOA base. Although I have yet to shoot 1000 yds, I would like to have a scope with the ability to get me there. Obviously, I don't have one yet. If it turns out the 10 MOA base is no help, I'll sell the scope and most likely look into your offer. I work at a gun range full time and go to school as well so its hard to find time to shoot, but Mondays were closed and I, along with the boss and other employees, like to go out on Monday mornings and shoot in the 400-600 range. In the next couple of weeks Ill give it a try and get back to you. Worst comes to worse, I can mount the Sightron on the same base and give myself an extra 10. Thanks again for the help. I'll keep you posted on the progress.

Nate: thanks again for the advice, especially on the rings/bases situation. I got the scope for $331 at my door, which is a great deal, but as we have all figured out, is worthless for my original intent. I have the advantage of working at a gun range where I have been able to become good friends with some guys for who, lets just say, money is no issue. They shoot trap religiously with their $15,000 Kreighoff's and a few are interested in long range shooting. I'm sure I could get rid of it for anywhere from $650-$750. If this Sightron is as good as you all make it sound I may only be out a couple hundred bucks, but actually up a little in the end when you consider what I payed for the Nikon.

ewoaf: you are totally right. It was some what of an impulse buy. My buddy showed me his once a year prices on the scope in a catalogue as a rep for Nikon and unfortunately the catalogue did not entail specifications other than magnifications/sizes. Being a big Nikon fan and owning more than a hand full for a few deer rifles and budget varmint guns, I figured it was a home run. Ha. Now i know.

Out of curiosity, how does the Sightron compare to say a Leupold VX III 8.5-25x50 LRT?

Don't mount the Nikon. Leave it new in the original packaging. Sell it as new, for $600, i.e. a hundred bucks less than street price. Sell it on eBay or wherever.

Put that money towards a scope with more elevation adjustment.

Heck, sell it for $400 and you're still ahead of the game.

You do NOT want to sell that scope as used. Sell it new, and move on.

Good thing I posted when I did. I was going to try and get it set up sometime this week. Ill take your advice and try and find a buyer. It may take me a while to get enough for the proper set up, but I know it will be worth the extra $$. Thanks