• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Nikon Monarch or Bushnell 4200 or Menace

jrbet83

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 31, 2009
Pasco, Washington
I'm looking at the

Nikon Monarch 4-16x42

Bushnell 4-16x40

Falcon Menace 4-14x44

Or Other.

What do you think about these three. Which would you go with and why? Thanks in advance. I know the Bushnell and Falcon have been discussed, but the Monarch doesn't get included in the "Best Bang for the Buck" discussion. What to see how it holds up.

Re: Nikon Monarch or Bushnell 4200 or Menace

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jrbet83</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm looking at the

Nikon Monarch 4-16x42

Bushnell 4-16x40

Falcon Menace 4-14x44

Or Other.

What do you think about these three. Which would you go with and why? Thanks in advance. I know the Bushnell and Falcon have been discussed, but the Monarch doesn't get included in the "Best Bang for the Buck" discussion. What to see how it holds up. </div></div>

What do you want to do with them? How far do you want to shoot? What caliber?

The Nikon is a 1" tube with 40" of adjustment, SFP. Mildot, but no turrets.

The Bushnell is a 1" tube with 40" of adjustment, SFP. No Mildot, and no turrets.

The Falcon is 30mm Tube, 75" of adjustment, Turrets, various Mil and Mildot reticles, FFP.

They are really apples and tomatoes, their features are so different, and purpose as scopes are not comparable.

If you are talking tactical, and those are your brands then compare:

The Nikon Monarch X 4-16x50; Bushnell 4200 6-24x50mm T and Bushnell 6500 2.5-16x42 T, and the Falcon Menace 4-14x44. At least all have 30mm tubes, turrets, SF, and Mildots of one sort or another.

Now the playing field is level.....

the monarch x, is in a whole different price range. that's why i listed those three. the bushnell model you suggested is even a bit higher.

i wanted your guys opinions on those scopes.

I have or had the following:

Nikon Monarch 2-7x32 & a Nikon Monarch Gold 2.5-10x50mm, but not the Nikon scope your looking at.

Bushnell 4200 2.5-10x40mm & a 6-24x50mm T, but not the Bushnell scope your looking at.

I have both a Falcon Menace 10x42mm & Menace 4-14x44mm FFP.

Since I have only one of your 3, I will limit my comments to that scope:

Menace 4-14x44 FFP is very good glass for the price, but the glass is not as good as the Bushnell 4200 series, nor the Monarch's. It does have FFP. The turrets are not bad at all, but not as good as the one's on the Bushy 6-24. The side focus will go down to 10yds. I like the Falcon MOA MP20 reticle (in my 10x42mm) a bit better than the MOA SL16.

I don't know how the Falcon's will hold up long term, or how well they will be serviced if something breaks. But they do represent a lot of bang for your buck.

Bob

So the monarch with aftermarket turrets, may be a good bet at a fair price.

If you can get by with a 1" tube, and only 40" of adjustment, then yes....

Bob