• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Nikon Monarch or Falcon Menace

RidgeRebel

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 18, 2009
Hurricane, UT
Hey guys I need a scope for my LR 308. I can spend $500 give or take a little. I think I have narrowed the choices to either a Nokon Monarch 4-16X42 Mil dot or a Falcon Menace 4-14X44 FFP. I like the features of the Falcon better than the nikon but it bothers me that the falcon only has a 5 yr. warranty as opposed to the Nikon with a lifetime warranty. Please help me decide. Thanks for your help.

Re: Nikon Monarch or Falcon Menace

i have one of each myself...they both have their strongpoints: nikon exceptional glass, turrets very tactile....falcon is ffp available in mil/mil...i'm happy with both of them but for the money (falcon couple hundred less) i'd go with the falcon.

i'm a nikon fan, but the falcon has a lot more to offer
the way i see it, if you cant eff it up in 5 years, your not going to.

Can you even get the interchangable knobs for the Monarchs that Nikon promised months ago?

I like Nikon glass btw.

If you mean the target turrets/knobs - yes. I ordered and got some a couple of months ago.

If you mean moa to mil or the reverse - I don't know.

If you haven't made the new purchase yet, I would suggest you look at the Millett TRS-1. I love mine on the AR.

I think highly of Nikons glass as well, but.....
With only 40MOA of adjustment you may have problems achieving both a 100 yard zero and dialing to 1K with a 308 or the like, but you may get lucky.

The Falcons FFP reticle and matching adjustments would have me looking there, or just save up a few hundred more and look at U.S. Optics. The ST-10 is about double your price range, but it has no warranty issues and if you ever need service you will get it back a few months quicker than with Nikon. Nikon honored my warranty but it took about 4 months.

Have had a falcon menace 4 14 44 for awhile now, very....very good scope. IMO it rivals scopes that cost twice the price. Right around the equivalent of 90moa elevation adjustment.

Another vote for the falcon menace 4-14.
What RC2125 said...

I have a nikon monarch 5-20x44 and I am very pleased with it myself. The holds a zero well and is very repeatable going back to a 200 yd zero. My favorite part of the scope however is the low light brightness. I have taken wild hogs with it at 200 yards well after sunset and the scope was as bright as the little amount of actual light out there.

I have never heard a cross word said about a Falcon either however and I am looking into one for my new .308 just to try it out.

For the price if that's all you want to spend, I really don't think you can go wrong with either. As far as the millet scope though, I have one of them as well in 4-16x56 and although it's exceptionally bright for the price and focuses well, I don't like the eye relief on anything more than a .223 because mounted on a .308 you are VERY close to getting dotted in the eye with it. The cover has tapped me in the forehead many times.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JRose</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Neither, get a Sightron...

And I'm dead serious.... </div></div>

1+ on that. Got a Sightron on my 10/22 and I was amazed at the clarity of the optics. Holds zero extremely well. Another option also is Vortex the Viper series. I have one the 243 and no complaint at all. Great pricing

I have two Falcon Menace 4-14 FFL mil/mil. They have both performed flawlessly. The glass is not outstanding, but it is very usable. From what I've found looking around, the features are virtually unmatched in any other optic system under $1k. They are a great bargain, IMO.

G-Dog

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JRose</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Neither, get a Sightron...

Sightron makes a FFP MIL/MIL scope now?

I have a 4-14x44FFP Falcon and have beaten the piss out of it, run the turrets up and down, etc. No issues.

I don't have any experience with Nikon, but I can definitely recommend the Falcon. I just wish they had the Mil/Mil option and solid stadia lines when I bought mine.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JLM</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JRose</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Neither, get a Sightron...

</div></div>

Not that I know of, but does Nikon?

I won't own another Falcon, and to me, the Sightron is preferable over the Nikon.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JRose</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JLM</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JRose</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Neither, get a Sightron...

</div></div>

Not that I know of, but does Nikon?

I won't own another Falcon, and to me, the Sightron is preferable over the Nikon.</div></div> why won't you own another falcon?

I agree on the falcon, had a 4.5-18 and didn't even get it mounted and it was broke. After a few twists of the elevation knob one of the lenses inside the tube cracked.

I had a 5.5-25 and i didnt care for it. (Falcon) I thought it had terrible eye relief and the optics were very cloudy past 20X. I also had a hard time getting the parallax set. Maybe the 4-14 would be better, i dont know. My scope was also a pre production model. Maybe that has something to do with it? Lee

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a 4-14x44FFP Falcon and have beaten the piss out of it, run the turrets up and down, etc. No issues.

I can definitely recommend the Falcon. </div></div>

LoneWolf. Two questions, because I know you wring the piss out of your scopes and I can trust your feedback.

1.) Do you have trouble with the thickness of the reticle in the 4-14 when you shoot at distance?

2.) Have you had a chance to wring out a 5.5-25? (the reticle in the EMD seems a bit thinner then either the ML16 or the reticles in the 4-14) Does it track reliably like the 4-14?

I might be too sensitve about this reticle thing because I've been doing load development lately. Getting back to shooting center of mass may make it a moot point.

I still have not had a chance to really play with elevation on my WOTAC (may get out to the match near Billings next weekend. THAT should tell me!) and I need a plan B should it fail to track

Thanks

John

No offense guys....but, hearing poor reports like these makes me very thankful that I splurged for my USO's.