• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Nikon Monarch X 2.5x10x44MMvs Trijicon 2.5x10x56MM

Iron Worker

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 10, 2005
Nevada
I have a RRA coyote AR-15 I want a great 250 yard scope for Coyote hunting in desert.I have the classic Larue 30mm mount. Nikon is $150 bucks more. What's the best? I want great optics. Leupold VX111 sucks! My Bushnell 2.5x16x50MM is better but that's on my bolt action rifle.Help me SH forum your my only hope!

Re: Nikon Monarch X 2.5x10x44MMvs Trijicon 2.5x10x56MM

Well I love Trijicons (have 7) but think the 56mm one is total overkill, especially for 250 yard AR. A 3-9 with the amber triangle would be far better (and faster). The dot model is no where near as bright or visable.
IMO VX IIIs hardly "suck" and are just a good as a Bushnell 6500 (own both), BUT the Trijicon is a superior hunting scope especially in low light or neutral colored game in a neutral background (like your coyote)

I'm to a scope being mounted on a rifle as to where the bell of the scope is close to the barrel. With the Larue mount looking at the profile in rifle bbl to scope there is too much space. Looks like the scope is mounted too high. So for the cool effect I was thinking the 56MM objective. So why would a 56MM objective be over kill?

It puts the scope that much higher and do you really need the additional adjustment a 30mm tube gives and the extra light a 56 gives? Those big objectives started in Europe where they hunt at night.
Biggest drawback is the mil dot, dot reticle. The dot is VERY small, so you're giving away the biggest advantage the Trijicon has, the BIG lighted triangle.

Well I already have the LaRue 30 MM detachable mount.Previously I had a Bushnell 6500 mounted but I moved that to a bolt action.But the 56MM bell wouldn't be disadvantageous would it? Plus there is ample space to mount a 56MM bell.You've sold me on the Amber lighted Triangle.