• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Rifle Scopes Nikon Monarch X Scopes

Re: Nikon Monarch X Scopes

Well they are:

1) Mil/MOA

2) Limited adjustment range except on the 2.5-10

3)Standard Mildot reticle only , cause Nikon got sued for borrowing Premiers GenII reticle.

4) Not particularly cheap, for 1999 technology.

5) Nikon CS is generously indifferent.

Other than that, I suppose they work fine.

YMMV,

Bob

I have a "tactical" not the "X" but all I have read suggests they are nearly same... But I don’t have a X to compare it too.

I believe they discontinued the tactical due to a patent infringement on the reticle design. My understanding is they switched to a .2 mil mildot rather than the .25 mil mildot there by creating there “own” custom reticle on the new X model.

At any rate, my 2.5-10x (w/ a gen 2 style mildot reticle, think premier) is a good scope. The only thing I have heard negative about them is the eye box on the 4-16x is narrow.

The 2.5-10 has around 100 moa of adjustment and I am running a 30 moa rail but thinking about switching it out to a 45 moa and here is why. With the 30 moa rail I am 2 turns and 3ish moa short of the bottom. I noted this on the tube, think zero stop. If I had a 45 moa rail I would not have to count the turns up as I would be less than one full turn from the bottom, 1 turn is 10 moa on mine.

The glass is good enough to get the job done when running it on the 1k range. Tracks well, no problems holding zero and mine seems to be a true 1/4 moa value per click. Right now it is on a 308 tactical and sees use out to 800 yards, 1k if the wind isn’t screwing with me and my slow poke 2550fps 175 matchking load...

I owned a 4-16 X 50, it had a true .25 moa turret, very solid clicks, and tracked very well. The glass was typical Nikon, very crisp and clear, worked really well during low light (dusk/dawn) shooting without being a lit reticle. I sent mine back after several months because of spots I noticed on the reticle at low magnification, Nikon sent me out a new scope in three (3) weeks. I would recommend them as a solid scope for under $1,000.00.

A few months back I had the opportunity to shoot a Surgeon rifle in .308 with the Monarch X scope. I engaged targets from 300-550yds and it was deadly. With the new turrets and reticles these scopes are much better than previous models. I found the reticle to be a good size as not to block out the targets and easy to see at the same time. For the money they are a great buy. I myself have quite a few of the older Monarchs and the glass is very clear and I have never had a failure. Check out there ballistic software too.

Once I am done with the current comparison I am working, I'll be doing a review on Monarch X 2.5-10x44, Viper PST 2.5-10x44 and SWFA S.S. 3-9x42.

I've got all three scopes here, but I have not gotten to them yet. I should be done with them just before SHOT in mid-January.

ILya

Hmm... maybe I'll put off my purchase until I see your comparison as I'm looking at all three of those scopes as possibilities.

Well a Nikon Prostaffer was kind enough to send a 4-16x50 Monarch X to me to do some testing. I hope the snow melts around here soon and I can get some shooting in. Im putting it on a Nesika Model K repeater in 260. The rifle is out getting new barrels for next shooting season. Im going with a slight turn neck 1/8 and a 1/9 twist. Heres the lowdown on rifle:

Mcmillan Prone stock with adj cheek and butt
Shilen select match barrels
Nightforce rings
Nesika 20moa base
Jewell trigger