• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Nikon Monarch X

ponchair

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 16, 2007
Tempe, AZ
I found a Nikon Monarch X 4-16 x 50 Mil-Dot for $799. Think that is a descent price? Should I spend an extra few bucks and get a NightForce or Leupold?

I have seen some good reviews about the Nikon, I am just not quite sure, due to the lack of use by most shooters I have seen.

Thanks for your recommendations.

Re: Nikon Monarch X

I think for that price you may be better served by a Sightron SIII or, save a few$$$ and try a Vortex Viper with mildot adjustments. I'm not sure you're gonna give up anything with the Viper and I think the Sightron SIII is a better scope than the Nikon.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hunter223</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think for that price you may be better served by a Sightron SIII or, save a few$$$ and try a Vortex Viper with mildot adjustments. I'm not sure you're gonna give up anything with the Viper and I think the Sightron SIII is a better scope than the Nikon. </div></div>

Some good advice here. Optically, the S III glass is better than that in the Monarch X. To my eyes, the Monarch X I owned was nearly idential optically to the 6.5-20x 50mm Viper I currently own.
I will say that the cosmetics & build quality of the Nikon are excellent but the value proposition is better with both the S III and Viper when you consider the cost involved...

Just my $.02. Best of luck to you.

On the other hand consider this.

The Nikon 4-16X50 that uou are talking about is from their Tactical line. It is built like a tank.

I seriously doubt that Sightron or (gasp) Vortex's optics are anywhere near the level of Nikon optics, especially the Tactical line. The Monarchs are superb scopes with optics that rival those of scopes costing a lot more money.

To the uneducated eye and remembering only what once was, no offense, but that is meaningless.

One needs to remember that Nikon has been making premium optics for many decades and that expertise really shows in real tests.

You might recall the big article in the German optical magazine that showed the lowly Nikon Monarch having the best light transmission of all the scopes they were testing including Zeiss, S&B, Nightforce and Swarovski. They were surprised.

So, if you can get your hands on a Nikon 4-16X50 Mildot, grab it and don't let it go. I still have my Tactical 2.5-10X44. This is a phenomenal scope as the light starts to fade.

natchez has the monarch X 4-16x50 plex for $685. i havnt had one but heard the onld tacticals were much better.

chuck

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sig685</div><div class="ubbcode-body">On the other hand consider this.

The Nikon 4-16X50 that uou are talking about is from their Tactical line. It is built like a tank.

I seriously doubt that Sightron or (gasp) Vortex's optics are anywhere near the level of Nikon optics, especially the Tactical line. The Monarchs are superb scopes with optics that rival those of scopes costing a lot more money.

To the uneducated eye and remembering only what once was, no offense, but that is meaningless.

One needs to remember that Nikon has been making premium optics for many decades and that expertise really shows in real tests.

You might recall the big article in the German optical magazine that showed the lowly Nikon Monarch having the best light transmission of all the scopes they were testing including Zeiss, S&B, Nightforce and Swarovski. They were surprised.

So, if you can get your hands on a Nikon 4-16X50 Mildot, grab it and don't let it go. I still have my Tactical 2.5-10X44. This is a phenomenal scope as the light starts to fade. </div></div>

Easy fella
cool.gif
I did'nt see Vortex on your list
wink.gif
and there's ALOT freakin more to rifle scopes and optics than just brightness. And, if I might ask, how many tenths, or hundredths of a percent brighter was the Nikon
confused.gif

Nikon makes some of the best camera glass and durable lens and camera bodies so I highly doubt their scopes would be bad.

Maybe my reply needs some clarification...

I have OWNED and USED in the field both the 4-16x Monarch X and the Vortex Viper 6.5-20x. I have hunted with & put approx. 50 rds through a FN SPR in .308 equipped with a S III 6-24x (wasn't my rifle, borrowed it from a friend during a long weekend predator hunting & shooting a few months back; yes it was heavy). I'm sharing my opinion based on what my right eye has told me during the experiences. Am I claiming that the Monarch X uses inferior glass or doesn't make a high quality, durable product? NO. All I'm saying is that, if you consider optical quality and VALUE, I believe that both the S III and Viper offer a better VALUE based on their respective build quality and optical performance. Now, if you can get a Monarch X for $500 then maybe you go that route but I've yet to see a NEW model go that low. As a side note, the only reason I sold my Monarch X was because I needed the funds to upgrade to a 6-24x Zeiss Victory Diavari. I still have two standard Monarch scopes on other rifles & have no plans on replacing them since I got them second hand for a steal. There is no way I could do better optically for what I have in them...

The original poster asked if he should be looking at Leupold or Nightforce as well. My advice is yes, check them out & compare them side by side with the Monarch X and others, and see what your eyes tell you. Then you can make an education decision based on what works best for you and your budget.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hunter223</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Easy fella
cool.gif
I did'nt see Vortex on your list
wink.gif
and there's ALOT freakin more to rifle scopes and optics than just brightness. And, if I might ask, how many tenths, or hundredths of a percent brighter was the Nikon
confused.gif
</div></div>

Vortex was not on the list because the extensive tests were performed on top of the line scopes only. I think they just picked a Nikon Monarch to laugh at it, which probably explains why they were so suprised at the results. The Nikon performed extremely well and held its own, despite costing a fraction of what the other scopes tested did.

Let me just point out that your question about how much brighter the Nikon was shows that you did not really understand what I wrote. Let me try to explain it to you again.

I said the "Monarch had the best light transmission of all the scopes tested." I did not say it was brighter than the other ones. So, what does light transmission mean and what is the importance here?

The amount of light a scope receives is dictated by its objective element size, its big front lens. The larger the front lens the more light enters the the scope. From that point on, the light will only be reduced (lost). This occurs every time light goes through a lens and this is where lens coating comes in. It the lens is not coated, every air to glass surface robs about 5% of the light that goes through it. Advanced coating methods reduce this loss and this is why you want your lenses to be fully coated. Multiple coating layers reduce the loss of light for different wave lenghts so you get the term "fully multi-coated." Only sophisticated companies are able to properly coat their lenses to the point where they are able to reduce transmission loss.

As others have said, Nikon makes top of the line photo equipment and has been doing that for decades. They make their own lenses, Nikkor, and their riflescopes benefit from their expertise in optics.

As for the percentage, let me tell you that the range was 86.0% (Docter) and 88.2% (Nightforce) to 93.3% (Nikon). The closest was S&B at 93.1%. The Nikon scope tested had an MSRP of $600 and was available for $400. I think the S&B was about $2,500.

So the bottom line is that optically speaking, the technology used by the $400 Nikon was superior to all others, including those who make scopes costing thousands of dollars.

So, how could scopes that have inferior light transmission appear brighter? By having larger objective lenses, that's how.

So when one wants to compare the optics of one scope to another, one must use the same objective size and the same power setting under the same conditions. This is why personal impressions are totally useless as a measure, but that's how people remember the scopes.

If its a brand new one, its a good deal. right at dealers cost.

But if it were me. Id get the Sightron S3 6-24x50. A friend of mine has an original Nikon tactical and its very nice. from what I understand the newer Monarch X is not as good..

Good luck

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sig685</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
As for the percentage, let me tell you that the range was 86.0% (Docter) and 88.2% (Nightforce) to <span style="color: #FF0000">93.3%</span> (Nikon).The closest was S&B at <span style="color: #FF0000"> 93.1%.</span> The Nikon scope tested had an MSRP of $600 and was available for $400. I think the S&B was about $2,500.

</div></div>

SEE!!! SEE!!! I toldja!

just cuz the scope is transmitting more light percentage-wise than some of the larger scopes doesnt mean it is transmitting more light. Ya, we got that. Also, just because one scope lets in or transmits more light doesnt mean the "brighter" scope transmits and handles the light better.

I have the older nikon tactical 2.5-10 before it become the monarch x. If you can find the older 4-16, by all means get one.

I don't think you can go wrong with the Nikon. I have the Monarch X 4-16X50 on my 5R .300 win mag. The only bitch that i have is that mine has the niko-plex reticle but i shouldn't complain to much because I picked it up for $450 when a local shop was going out of business. Really want to pull the trigger on the SS 3-9 but I bet next year they come out with a higher magnification variable.
I highly recomend the Nikon, my opinion is that they are better than the Mark IV's.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hunter223</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
SEE!!! SEE!!! I toldja!

just cuz the scope is transmitting more light percentage-wise than some of the larger scopes doesnt mean it is transmitting more light. Ya, we got that. <span style="font-weight: bold">Also, just because one scope lets in or transmits more light doesnt mean the "brighter" scope transmits and handles the light better.</span> </div></div>

Huh?
confused.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sig685</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hunter223</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
SEE!!! SEE!!! I toldja!

just cuz the scope is transmitting more light percentage-wise than some of the larger scopes doesnt mean it is transmitting more light. Ya, we got that. <span style="font-weight: bold">Also, just because one scope lets in or transmits more light doesnt mean the "brighter" scope transmits and handles the light better.</span> </div></div>

Huh?
confused.gif
</div></div>

Let me break it down for you like a small child so you can understand. Just because the scope transmits 2 TENTHS of a percent more light does not nessecarily mean that it handles the visible light spectrum better than the scope that is ever so closely behind in transmission. Did the evaluators mention what wavelength they tested? There is more to image quality than just being bright. But I guess Nikon=Schmidt and Bender. Why didn't you let us in on this bit of info we could have all saved sooooooo much money if we just knew Nikon was the best scope to be had?

Man, this turned into a pissing match in a hurry!

I have a Nikon Monarch X 2.5x10 44mm Mil-Dot and it's outstanding. In my opinion a much better value than any of Leupolds offering in the Mark 4 3x10 scopes. Frankly, it's just better glass. I have yet to have a problem with any of my Nikons, and I own 3 and have had them for several years. Is it as good as a Vortex or Sightron? Hard to say.... These things tend to be very subjective. I'm not a huge fan of Sightron, their glass is OK but I don't think it's where Nikon's is at. I had a SII Big Sky 4x14 and it's not where any of my Nikons are at in terms of clarity. In fact it was on par with my 4x14 Buckmasters Nikon, which was about half the price! Just my opinion here. Vortex has a smokin' waranty, and their customer service is about as good as it gets. I have a pair of their binoculars and they flat out rock! I'm seriously considering one of their new 5x20 Tactical scopes as well.

All in all, I don't think you will be disapointed in the Nikon 4x16. My only complaint would be that it's not FFP or Mil-Mil.

Good luck,

I don't think Nikon is bad, I just prefer others.
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tman300wm</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Man, this turned into a pissing match in a hurry!

Just my opinion here. Vortex has a smokin' waranty, and their customer service is about as good as it gets. I have a pair of their binoculars and they flat out rock! <span style="color: #FF0000"> I'm seriously considering one of their new 5x20 Tactical scopes as well. </span>

All in all, I don't think you will be disapointed in the Nikon 4x16. My only complaint would be that it's not FFP or Mil-Mil.

Good luck, </div></div>

Get one you WON'T be disappointed

I know you have one you lucky devil! I have been watching for them for some time, and they certainly have my attention, esp. since LL did his review.

sorry for bringing back an older thread but for some reason I am under the impression that the old nikon 'tactical' line is built better than the new 'monarch x' line, does this hold to be true?

I own two 4-16's. One is an old tactical model with the Gen 2 mildot. The other is with the Niko-plex. They are great scopes. Very durable, bright and have positive/precise turret adjustments. They only have 50 minutes of elevation travel but with a canted base it will get ya most anywhere. The 2-10's have more travel. Eye placement behind the scope is less forgiving than a Leupold but not a problem. Sniper Country has a very good review on both models.

Oh sorry to address your question. The price you found is fair. Place an ad in the WTB section and you should be able to find an older tactical model. The first ones had a Gen 2 mildot reticle (no BS they did).