• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Nikon Monarch X

Spanky88

Private
Minuteman
Mar 30, 2009
College Station, TX
I came across a Nikon Monarch X 4-16x50 with the Mildot reticle today and was wondering if anyone had any experience with this scope. I was thinking about putting it on a 308. The scope has a 30mm tube and 50 MOA internal adjustment. With a 20 MOA base this should give me enough adjustment to hit 1000 with a 175 grain bullet if my math is correct. Any ideas?

Clayton

Re: Nikon Monarch X

50 MOA of adjustment isn't a whole lot to play with. It may work by the math but you never know until the scope is mounted and zeroed to know if the adjustment is there. Because the screw holes/reciever alignment is never perfect and the 20 MOA Canted base might be too much to get a 100 yard zero. Plus when the erector is at close to the top or bottom of the tube (near topping or bottoming out on elevation) the windage adjustments are not always accurate. I would only recommend this scope for a flatter shooting cartridge (260, 243, 6.5x47, 300 Win mag, etc..) so you use less of your MOA adjustment and go with a 10 MOA, or 15 MOA base so your not close to bottoming out the erector.

Re: Nikon Monarch X

I'm looking into one of these and have done a bit of research. With the exception of limited elevation, it seems to be a great scope.

Tracking has always been a concern with manufacturers that don't do a whole lot of tactical type scopes but the reviews that I've found say they're as good as leupold, etc.