• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Nikon scope help

CF_Smith

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 13, 2013
East Coast, Canada
Hey all,

so I bought my first scope last night (besides the one that came atop of my Remmy 597), had it mounted to my gun at the shop. I'm new to this whole scope thing, I've always been an iron sights kind of guy. So I chose the Nikon monarch 3 in 4-16x50mm because it seemed to fit my needs the best at my entry price range, will probably upgrade later and put this on a .223 down the road most likely.

Anyway, my question lies with zeroing the scope. Part of the reason I chose the Nikon was for the zero reset turrets. I think I understand how to zero the firearm, but not how to reset the windage/elevation to zero. So my understanding is that you zero the scope, click click click, good it shoots where it should, then you pull up on the turret and spin it until it falls on the zero. So if I'm understanding the manual correctly, the gun/scope is now zero and you're ready to rock.

What I don't understand and can't find information on is how to physically reset the zero. If someone could give me some insight that would be awesome!

Thanks,

James

Hey all,

so I bought my first scope last night (besides the one that came atop of my Remmy 597), had it mounted to my gun at the shop. I'm new to this whole scope thing, I've always been an iron sights kind of guy. So I chose the Nikon monarch 3 in 4-16x50mm because it seemed to fit my needs the best at my entry price range, will probably upgrade later and put this on a .223 down the road most likely.

Anyway, my question lies with zeroing the scope. Part of the reason I chose the Nikon was for the zero reset turrets. I think I understand how to zero the firearm, but not how to reset the windage/elevation to zero. So my understanding is that you zero the scope, click click click, good it shoots where it should, then you pull up on the turret and spin it until it falls on the zero. So if I'm understanding the manual correctly, the gun/scope is now zero and you're ready to rock.

What I don't understand and can't find information on is how to physically reset the zero. If someone could give me some insight that would be awesome!

Thanks,

James

James, I'm not sure I understand your problem. From what you have said you are right on track to get dialed in with your scope. Just get where you want to be at 100 yards, pull turret's out and set them for zero. Both turret's. That way if you ever need to trun them to dial in more elevation or wind adjustment you can just turn back to zero to be dead on at 100 again. I have used that MONARCH 3 4-16 scope, it is a nice one, easy to use and very clear.

http://i1216.photobucket.com/albums/dd363/bman940/MONARCH 3/bartspoton.jpg

James, I'm not sure I understand your problem. From what you have said you are right on track to get dialed in with your scope. Just get where you want to be at 100 yards, pull turret's out and set them for zero. Both turret's. That way if you ever need to trun them to dial in more elevation or wind adjustment you can just turn back to zero to be dead on at 100 again. I have used that MONARCH 3 4-16 scope, it is a nice one, easy to use and very clear.

http://i1216.photobucket.com/albums/dd363/bman940/MONARCH 3/bartspoton.jpg
Okay, so then I misinterpreted what spring loaded reset meant? I do what I mentioned above, then simply line things back up for zero manually? They don't spin back to where they were? I'm thinking kind of like a pull out cord from a vacuum cleaner.

I'm new to scopes in general and don't have all the knowledge that may seem common sense to some people haha

James

No worries, it's really quite easy, pull out turret so it spins freely (no clicks), turn it to zero and push it in. Now you have returned all setting's to zero.

No worries, it's really quite easy, pull out turret so it spins freely (no clicks), turn it to zero and push it in. Now you have returned all setting's to zero.

Yeah, I had that part all done, my confusion was after I zero: say I need 20 clicks of windage, after the shot, to return to zero I thought that I could make the turret spring back, but now I understand that I manually crank it to zero.

Yeah, I had that part all done, my confusion was after I zero: say I need 20 clicks of windage, after the shot, to return to zero I thought that I could make the turret spring back, but now I understand that I manually crank it to zero.

Yes, You are correct. One of the things I am in the habit of doing is glancing at my turret's before shooting to make sure they have not turned while I haul my rifle on a sling or being slid out of my rifle case. A quick glance is all it takes.

Yes, You are correct. One of the things I am in the habit of doing is glancing at my turret's before shooting to make sure they have not turned while I haul my rifle on a sling or being slid out of my rifle case. A quick glance is all it takes.

Awesome! I appreciate the help and patience when it comes to this newbie situation. For whatever reason scopes don't come as naturally to me as other gun stuff does. I'm very impressed with the scope so far (have not yet shot with it) and just want to learn how to properly use it/not break it before I take it to the range/field.

Thanks a million!

James