• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Nikon Scopes For A tight Budget

NY700

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 23, 2009
Dallas
I've been shooting about a year now and working on finishing up a custom Remmy. I shoot out to 500yds right now and got a great deal going on a nikon monarch 6-24 sf for $400. is it worth it and will it get the job done? how does Nikon glass compare to the other major players?

Re: Nikon Scopes For A tight Budget

Where would you rank the glass compared to say S&B USO Leupold IOR Bushnell Zeiss Burris?

Best to worse IMO.

S&B
Zeiss
USO
IOR
Leupold Mark 4
Bushnell 6500/Burris XTR/Nikon Monarch X - These 3 about the same.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NY700</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Where would you rank the glass compared to say S&B USO Leupold IOR Bushnell Zeiss Burris? </div></div>

Well the German magazine Der Visor rated the Nikon Monarch very highly against the S&B, USO, Nightforce, Zeiss and above Leupold, Burris, etc. It actually won in light transmission, the reviewers were very surprised. On the other hand these were scientific, instrument-based tests, so they don't really count as much as some people's impressions.

I say got for it, a Monarch 6-24 for $400, that is a great price for a great scope.

It's no secret that I'm not a fan of high magnification, but I do have a Nikon fixed 6X on one of my killing rifles and have no problems ringing critter sized steel at the 500yd line. FWIW that little Nikon seems to have better glass than some of my Leupold's and I was very impressed with it with its use on a hunting rifle.

IMHO, Nikon Monarch series are great glasses. Prices are reasonable too. Of course, everyone wants a S&B, Nightforce, Leupy, but the Monarch series will do the job if you are on a budget. I plan to get one for my 223 soon. The only draw back to a Monarch is the total MOA elevation is about 50 MOA. Depending on how far you want to shoot, you may have to get cant base.

My nikon monarch gold optics are well above the Mk4's Ive had. Clicks are more possitive as well. But it doesnt have the amount of internal travel the Mk4's have.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Niles Coyote</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My nikon monarch gold optics are well above the Mk4's Ive had. Clicks are more possitive as well. But it doesnt have the amount of internal travel the Mk4's have. </div></div>

That's the trade-off. Bigger internal lenses in the Monarch provide for better clarity and resolution, but the internal travel is reduced because of these bigger lenses.