• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Nikon vs Vortex

Longshot38

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 1, 2009
Montgomery, TX
So I'm looking to invest in a spotter come tax season. I have narrowed my choices down to either a Vortex Razor HD or a Nikon Field Scope III. When I look at these side-by-side these two look pretty comparable. The Razor gives me a ranging reticle but I have to purchase a 50mm lens for my D3100 to digiscope with it. The Nikon doesn't offer a ranging reticle but I can digiscope w/o having to purchase a new camera lens. Anyone else have experience or thoughts about these?

Re: Nikon vs Vortex

I have no experience with the Nikon(there CS sucks BTW) spotter, but I spent this last weekend looking thru Razor HD spotters with and without a reticle, my money is going to be spent on one of these, in less than perfect conditions(cold and raining with wind gusting 15-20) the targets I was scoring looked great, when the rain stopped trace was so easy to see, I was seeing misses before dirt started flying, my vote is the Razor.

Cobra thanks for the intel. Here is another question for you. What did you think of the reticle? I can see multiply advantages of having one in a spotter, both for spotting shots and in photography. What is you take?

the 30x Mil reticle was perfect for the stages I was spotting, the 20-60 scopes were on the 1105 yard shot and the tower where the shooters were engaging targets out to 1k, all my stages were were inside 500 yards, the reticle is nice, I will be buying a straight Razoz with the Mil reticle, later should I need a 20-60 then I'll get one, but I have no idea about taking pictures thru one.

And while I value your input chiller, I would like to know the why behind you opinion. In terms of the products I own from both companies I have been very happy but I have never had to deal with the CS of either.

If for no other reason the CS or Vortex is head and shoulders above any mauufacturer I have had to work with. I have and still own a Kowa that I use for Highpower. The Vortex is just a better made scope in my opinion. I would also recomend you check some of the bird sights that have done head to head comparisons.

I work at a major retailer who stocks and sells both of these side by side. In my experience I have come to expect higher quality for the money in Nikon. Typically they have better resolution in their glass in the price ranges as well. I will say that Vortex usually has some better features in the pricing ranges. While Vortex does have a "better" warranty I have sent several back for defects of both Nikon and Vortex. I have had great experiences with both companies. I have several pieces from each company, in my go to spotter I have a Nikon. However, my favorite binos are my vipers. I think it depends on use, and each person. Like I said, glass I would give it to Nikon (better pictures) but the Vortex will do just fine and you can get the reticle.