• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Nissan Frontier

mvphilly

Major Hide Member
Minuteman
Mar 27, 2022
NY
In the market for a new truck and like the looks of the 2023 Frontier.Any owners here? Anyone here drive one or know someone who has one?

Driving a 2000 frontier. Nearly 300k miles on it. Replaced distributor, starter, alternator, which could be considered wear items being that old.
Had a hardbody before that with over 250k miles, no serious issues until some idiot blew a red light t-boning me and totalling it out.

Not specific to the Frontier but, keeping any vehicle impeccably maintained and detailed(or at least regularly washed) will get them to last a very long time

Man I love this truck . I have not purchased because of a lot of Nissan Truck haters . Good to hear 300 k . Curious as to the transmission , cvt or conventional automatic .
And I have test driven . Love it just cautious .
Hope you find something that inspires you .

Last edited:
Reactions: Bender
Edit : Warmed up muh Google Fu and found that 2023 have a Trans problem . Specifically an issue with the park pin and potential for roll away .
It pains me that Nissan has a history of it's transmissions being a weak point . Further they have an 80 percent interest in the company that supplies transmissions . As I have read and understood it .

Edit : Warmed up muh Google Fu and found that 2023 have a Trans problem . Specifically an issue with the park pin and potential for roll away .
It pains me that Nissan has a history of it's transmissions being a weak point . Further they have an 80 percent interest in the company that supplies transmissions . As I have read and understood it .
If it’s a brand new truck all of that shit will be warrantied. And if it’s not, find a new servicing dealership or a different vehicle

Pro4X. Awesome warranty. Best engine. Great design.

Hate the steering column doesn’t telescope (wtf). Dealers taking the piss with pricing (wait after June), for the delta in price I’d look at Titan in same trim.

Had an 08 Pathfinder (bone stock), essentially a Frontier with the back covered. Put 160000 miles on her and not a single issue. NONE. That is why when I decided I wanted a truck, I got a 2012 Frontier.

Having been a mechanic for far too many years.
I have never seen a Nissan that was worth half of what a Volkswagen was.
And I hate Volkwagens.
Back when it was Datsun they had a few decent vehicles, but since about 1985 or so....not a single one.
I have seen a 50 cent 6mm bolt break, take out a chunk of the block, take out the oil pump, break the timing chain,and NUKE the holy fuck out of the motor so bad there was not a single part that could be used for core......not 1 part, this was on a ~roughly~ 97-98 240sx.
The wiring harnesses crumbled to dust on the 3.0 V6's, same with the 3.3....look into injector connectors on those, it's right on top.
The 3.5 in the Z would overheat and melt the throttle bodies (2 on that model) either wide open, or fully shut, neither is a good thing.
Never saw a good trans in any model.
Every model with a timing chain has the whimpiest chain possible to put in it....and they break, nuking the motor (all are interference motors).

Ehh, I could go on for days.
Stay far far away from anything Nissan except a forklift, even their outboard boat motors suck.

Yes I did do a search on the reviews and it seemed to me all the reviews were big Honda Ridgeline lovers.The main complaint on the Frontier was cluttered display screen and cramped back seats.One mechanical complaint was an engine light on at 600 miles.

Yes I did do a search on the reviews and it seemed to me all the reviews were big Honda Ridgeline lovers.The main complaint on the Frontier was cluttered display screen and cramped back seats.One mechanical complaint was an engine light on at 600 miles.
I have a ridgeline that I use strictly for a work truck to keep from getting my truck all nasty and keep from having to move child seats and tools in and out. That thing has been fantastic. I have about 250k miles on it now and will probably be getting another one this year, just because I need my work vehicle to look a little nicer and my current one is am 06 so it's not as pretty as it needs to be. I bought it used and have put over 150k on it in 4 ish years and it's been absolutely perfect. Definitely will get another one.

And I hate Volkwagens.
Back when it was Datsun they had a few decent vehicles, but since about 1985 or so....not a single one.
I have seen a 50 cent 6mm bolt break, take out a chunk of the block, take out the oil pump, break the timing chain,and NUKE the holy fuck out of the motor so bad there was not a single part that could be used for core......not 1 part, this was on a ~roughly~ 97-98 240sx.
The wiring harnesses crumbled to dust on the 3.0 V6's, same with the 3.3....look into injector connectors on those, it's right on top.
The 3.5 in the Z would overheat and melt the throttle bodies (2 on that model) either wide open, or fully shut, neither is a good thing.
Every model with a timing chain has the whimpiest chain possible to put in it....and they break, nuking the motor (all are interference motors).

Stay far far away from anything Nissan except a forklift, even their outboard boat motors suck.
Not a VW fan. Lol.

love VW myself from a drivers perspective. But ease of maintenance and quality control were certainly missing from 1992-2010. Not sure about today’s stuff. Mine was the intake manifold. Died 4 times. Once ever two recommended oil changes. WTF

The new Frontiers are supposedly better than the previous generation.
FWIW, the Suzuki equator was nothing but a rebadged frontier and they were confident enough to offer it with a 100,000 Mile warranty.
I just bought a new truck. I don't need heavy towing, nor did I want a huge truck. I had a Tundra that I loved, but with the parking spaces steadily decreasing in size, I really didn't want a full size truck.
I have an aversion to 4 cylinder engines in pickups, so I went with the Honda Ridgeline. It is truck enough for my needs, nice quiet ride and an excellent AWD drivetrain

Reactions: Bender
I was wanting a new truck. I liked the looks of the Frontier too. I test drove one of them and a Tacoma. I ordered a Tacoma.

Reactions: Milf Dots
I had a new one in 2008 maybe. Biggest POS i ever owned. I wont even look at Nissan products now. I had a brand new in 1990 in high school 2 door, 2 wheel drive, 4 speed manual, fucking thing was a tank.

Im on my 5th tacoma since i got rid of the Nissan. I usually keep my cars to 100k, then upgrade.

I suspect so much cross breeding between companies today, they are all the same shit.

Toyota or Honda for best reliability on average. I feel like Nissan's best reliability was back in the 80s and maybe early 90s.

Ford or Chevy for heavier trucks.

Reactions: 101st
And I hate Volkwagens.

Ok boomer

• Haha
Reactions: Huskydriver
The new GMC canyon has a turbo with ~400ft lbs. same size as frontier. I think they look awesome.

1682275390939.png

1682275417939.jpeg

1682275480677.png

• Haha
Reactions: ManUtdManiac
The new Frontiers are supposedly better than the previous generation.
FWIW, the Suzuki equator was nothing but a rebadged frontier and they were confident enough to offer it with a 100,000 Mile warranty.
I just bought a new truck. I don't need heavy towing, nor did I want a huge truck. I had a Tundra that I loved, but with the parking spaces steadily decreasing in size, I really didn't want a full size truck.
I have an aversion to 4 cylinder engines in pickups, so I went with the Honda Ridgeline. It is truck enough for my needs, nice quiet ride and an excellent AWD drivetrain
Ridgeline is a great vehicle. Funny enough, it’s bed has dimensions for flatlying 4x8 sheets. None of the other mid-size have that (I think except Rivian but then that’s a different thing altogether ).

If you live where they put salt on the roads Nissan trucks turn into screen doors after about 4-5 years unless washed all the time in the winter, and up here car washes are closed when it's really cold so impossible.

Ridgeline is solid I just hate the way it looks. Friend of mine had one from 80k until 200k when he passed away, paint was falling off the roof but otherwise nothing went wrong.
Yeah, mine has been great but the paint around the windows and doors is not doing great. Otherwise it's flawless and it's perfect for a work truck. I have a cover on it so I leave a lot of tools and stuff in there and don't have to move stuff around all the time, which is great. Yeah I hate the way they look. The newer ones are better but none of em look good

Yeah, mine has been great but the paint around the windows and doors is not doing great. Otherwise it's flawless and it's perfect for a work truck. I have a cover on it so I leave a lot of tools and stuff in there and don't have to move stuff around all the time, which is great. Yeah I hate the way they look. The newer ones are better but none of em look good
They do offer one with all graphics on it to try and make it look rough and tumble.

They do offer one with all graphics on it to try and make it look rough and tumble.
Probably does help but they just aren't good looking. They sure are good vehicles though and mine goes in serious mud on job sites and gets beat up pretty seriously on the regular. Doesn't phase it at all