• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Nitrating a gun barrel

tilman2141

Private
Minuteman
Jan 16, 2022
Kentucky
Is H&M the only company out there doing a true nitrate finish on gun parts. I’ve read there are other companies doing what’s called a black finish but H&M finish is proprietary to them and only true Nitrate finish. I’m wanting to have my 2 barrels done for my custom rifles being built. Bore and all. I’ve heard by doing so you can greatly extend the life of your barrel

Reactions: Baron85
H&M is local to me... They are the best in the business. So feel confident that they will do the best job possible.

They do the Nitride process for the top makers in the business. They do offer standard Nitride and their proprietary Nitride+ process. Last time I was there their was a wooden crate full of Kelbly's actions sitting in front of the counter, total works of art.

Is H&M the only company out there doing a true nitrate finish on gun parts. I’ve read there are other companies doing what’s called a black finish but H&M finish is proprietary to them and only true Nitrate finish. I’m wanting to have my 2 barrels done for my custom rifles being built. Bore and all. I’ve heard by doing so you can greatly extend the life of your barrel
You need to first shoot and break the barrel in before sending it out to be treated. You will get better results with accuracy doing this. Most barrels take about 200 rounds to properly break in.

Here is a picture of the last one I had them do for me, it is a Uintah bolt action AR15 barrel, also had them do the bolt and firing pin, muzzle device. Cost me $100.00

Nitride 002 (Medium).JPG

Not sure. I’m sending a barrel to BAT Machine to have it melonite treated. They outsource it to a place that I believe is in Tennessee or Kentucky

Will do. Gotta call them today. Barrel. Bottom metal. And some action screws all need done