• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Nitride Barrel Treatment - what do you know

CaptainH

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 17, 2009
Ohio
I shot at the range this past Sunday and the shooter next to me was shooting a 6.5x55 AI in a Savage action and the barrel was treated / coated with Nitride inside and out. This shooter claims that he should get 2-3 times the barrel life with this treatment. He said the he needed a little less powder now with the barrel treated to get to the same velocity as before the treatment. He was hitting the steel plates consistantly out to 700 yards with this set up. Putting a coating inside the barrel on the rifleing seems counter intuitive to me, but for $80 it seems like it might be worth a try if accuracy does not suffer. Please weigh in on this.

Re: Nitride Barrel Treatment - what do you know

The "search" feature is your friend. Plenty to read here about the nitriding process. Never heard of getting 2 to 3 times the barrel life, but the process is supposed to make them last longer. It is a heat treating process not a coating.

Yep Nitriding will lengthen a barrels life (just not sure about 2-3 times). Nitriding is a treatment this hardens the surface of the metal from around 45 to around 60 on the rockwell scale. It also helps to reduce friction thus thus I can see velocities increasing and this is consistant with the information I have been given about nitrided barrels.

I do it to all my new builds, I love it....it is truly a no maintenance finish and nearly indestructible....and the bbl is easy as hell to clean. I have experienced no down sides as of yet.

I have my 6.5-284 benchmark Barrel nitirded and carbon wrapped. I havent shot it much to give an accurate report on barrel life, but velocities I believe may be a touch faster than norm.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: zink14</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I do it to all my new builds, I love it....it is truly a no maintenance finish and nearly indestructible....and the bbl is easy as hell to clean. I have experienced no down sides as of yet. </div></div>

I'm finding it almost futile to clean my newish Nitrided barrel (about 200 rounds fired).It hardly carbon fouls and there's almost no copper fouling either.Very pleased so far!

To the OP....I'll let you know when the barrel goes and how many rounds through it in about 3 years
wink.gif

I just put a nitrided barrel on my 7RSAUM, shot it at a 1K match last weekend and was very pleased with it's performance, as stated above, nitriding is not a coating but a metal treatment that surface hardens the steel, who you choose to do the process is very important.

Some good information. Thanks. So it is not a coating and therefore should not affect the accuracy of the barrel. Is that what you folks have expereinced?

Gary and others, who / what companies would you recommend? I just may give it a try.

I would like to know who you would recommend because I am having William Rosco build my 300 Rum right now and maybe I will have this done to it.

Thanks for your help.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CaptainH</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Some good information. Thanks. So it is not a coating and therefore should not affect the accuracy of the barrel. Is that what you folks have expereinced?

Gary and others, who / what companies would you recommend? I just may give it a try.

</div></div>

Its a process that occurs at a high enough temperature that Nitrogn is able to diffuse into the surface of the steel. We're talking 1000(ish) degrees. You'll have to accept some risk the accuracy/straightness of the barrel will be affected.

I'm working on a 260 build - both barrels will be nitrided.

Has anyone had a barrel done at MMI in the last few weeks? I've been trying to get one in and the smith that I go through has been shut down at MMI due to Remington flooding them with work and they are not accepting batches from us regular guys. The smith has even tried to contact Joel and get in tough with him through a high end action maker and no one is calling back! Kinda pissed!!

The smith I'm going through has a second source but I can't pull the name of the top of my head, if MMI can't do it next week it goes somewhere else.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bigngreen</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Has anyone had a barrel done at MMI in the last few weeks? I've been trying to get one in and the smith that I go through has been shut down at MMI due to Remington flooding them with work and they are not accepting batches from us regular guys. The smith has even tried to contact Joel and get in tough with him through a high end action maker and no one is calling back! Kinda pissed!!</div></div>

I just did mine last week with MMI-Trueteck. You need to talk to Rodney Lanier, 870-565-2589 [email protected] at MMI. I should have to back together this week. Here is my groups before treatment.

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2653056#Post2653056

Okay I have been poking around on the forum and I picked up that the barrel should have rounds through it before sending it off for nitriding. If I have 450 down the pipe is that too many? I have not received a call back yet from any companies.

I read some were on joel kendrecks writings i think it was. that once you have the nitride done to your barrel. once you shoot it out you cannot have your barrel recrowned its to hard is this true

I've had 3 barrels done, two factory and a Brux.

I sent them in new. The two Factory's shoot great the Brux won't shoot worth a crap.

My shooting partner has not had good luck with the Nitriding treatment at all. His custom barrels are horrible shooters and he is a 1000 yard benchrest shooter. He knows his stuff.

My Brux should have shot it was fitted and built by an expert smith.

I WON'T be Nitriding anymore barrels. So far it's been a hit and miss treatment.

Buyer beware as far as I'm concerned.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: apache kid</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've had 3 barrels done, two factory and a Brux.

I sent them in new. The two Factory's shoot great the Brux won't shoot worth a crap.

My shooting partner has not had good luck with the Nitriding treatment at all. His custom barrels are horrible shooters and he is a 1000 yard benchrest shooter. He knows his stuff.

I WON'T be Nitriding anymore barrels. So far it's been a hit and miss treatment.

Buyer beware as far as I'm concerned. </div></div>

Which company did your nitriding?

I have had a few Rock barrels done and have been very happy with the results. In all honesty the only barrel that was faster after the treatment was a .22cal by 40FPS which is pretty good. All others really showed no gain. No loss of accuracy either.

Cleaning every 500 rounds and wondering why I am doing it as they really are not dirty.

Love the finish and look. Did my Surgeon RSR receiver and bolt with no issues. IT WILL BE DONE on other builds from here on out. Have had a few 1911's done as well.

In my opinion 450 shots is to many. When I spoke with the guys ar Rock Creek they informed me that after a period or so many firings yor barrel will start to "heat check" and the grain within the steel starts to form sub micro cracks. Its not an issue and all barrels do it yet there seems to be concerns to exposing barrels that are heat checked to the tempretures of the process and the open grain of the steel. Not sure its worth the risk for the cost of a new barrel and chambering to even consider it. Burn up your new barrel and go for it when your ready for a new barrel.

Built my rifle, shot it about 30 times over the chrono, cleaned the piss out of it, bore scoped and then had it done. Ran the exact same rounds down it after Black Nitride and really couldnt put a increase to the velocity.

what finish do you put on after the barrels are treated? can you still cerakote?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: taliv</div><div class="ubbcode-body">what finish do you put on after the barrels are treated? can you still cerakote? </div></div>

I was wondering the same thing...has any one coated these barrels and actions after nitride bath?

I've seen one cerakoted after treatment, looks nice.
Not sure if the guy had to bead blast it first, but I can find out if you like.

My shooting partner just degreesed his barrel and Duracoated it FDE and its holding up fine.

Sand blast the treated barrel and duracoat sticks to it just fine.

Ok Ill give that a try but would parkerizing stick to a CM barrel that has been treated? Thanks milo but you dont have to go through any extra trouble Im just curious and also trying to figure out if this is something I would want to do

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: apache kid</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've had 3 barrels done, two factory and a Brux.

Buyer beware as far as I'm concerned. </div></div> I would like more info. Were these all sent in new? Accuracy baseline established, then after nitriding accuracy decreased? I am thinking about doing this to an upcoming build, but don't want to ruin a 450 dollar barrel.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kgw43</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: apache kid</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've had 3 barrels done, two factory and a Brux.

Buyer beware as far as I'm concerned. </div></div> I would like more info. Were these all sent in new? Accuracy baseline established, then after nitriding accuracy decreased? I am thinking about doing this to an upcoming build, but don't want to ruin a 450 dollar barrel. </div></div>

That's why I'm afraid... I can't afford another barrel

New crowns can be cut on these barrels.
no steel is to hard to machine with carbide tools.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CaptainH</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Okay I have been poking around on the forum and I picked up that the barrel should have rounds through it before sending it off for nitriding. If I have 450 down the pipe is that too many? I have not received a call back yet from any companies. </div></div>

I've had one barrel done and another is pending... not sure I want to have it done!

Joel told me just enough rounds to burnish the leade or throat, less than 30.

IIRC, Glock's "tenifer" finish is a type of nitrocarburizing (melonite) with a phosphate finish on top.

Link

I am not sure what to think based on my experience of just 1 barrel. Bought a drop in Shilen .243 for my Savage. Sent it to Joel for Melonite. Looks great inside and out. I just cant get it to shoot. Tried 4 different bullets with 2 different powders and dozens of combinations. It may have nothing to do with the Melonite. Cant figure it out.

I have 2 Brux barrels (.243) on order for my Templar action. I really
Ike the idea of the Melonite process but kind of afraid to try it again.

I just got my 260 barrel back from MMI today. The surface finish looks EXCELLENT to say the least. I'm gonna spin it on tonight, clean the bore and shoot it on Saturday.

I'm also going to have my 300 NM Imp nitrided. I hope to have the parts out to the in them next week.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gme</div><div class="ubbcode-body">how's the bore look? </div></div>

The barrel was coated with a light oil when I got it. The bore looks like there is dust that has collected on the oil. I'll get it cleaned up and post my findings. If its anything like my other barrel, it'll be spotless.

Okay, I stepped away from work to clean the bore. I did the following proceedure 5 times:

Dry patch, patch with butchs bore shine, bronze brush (3 times), butchs, dry patch.

The chamber and bore "look" perfect. I inspected what I could see with a light looking down the barrel and shined the light at the crown and looked back down. No areas of concern at all. The patches still come out brown after each brushing but, that's been my finding on my other barrel as well.

Now all I need to do is see how it shoots. It was built by Beanland so im pretty confident it'll do just fine.

I wonder if any one brand of custom barrel would work better than another with this process...cut rifling vs button?

I also have an AR MMI treated barrel (Rock Creek, cut rifled 5R pattern) which has been difficult. I think the bore is too smooth, and fouling doesn't remain consistent. To this end I have begun not cleaning the barrel and accuracy is beginning to improve at around 200 rounds. 77 SMK's and IMR 8208 XBR powder to MK 262 velocities and beyond. Maybe there is such a thing as breaking in a barrel...LOL

any updates about this nitriding? Are you guys still happy with the results?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Longshot38</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yep Nitriding will lengthen a barrels life (just not sure about 2-3 times). Nitriding is a treatment this hardens the surface of the metal from around 45 to around 60 on the rockwell scale. It also helps to reduce friction thus thus I can see velocities increasing and this is consistant with the information I have been given about nitrided barrels. </div></div>

I know it might be a bit early to ask this; but does anyone have some good range feedback on round counts with this nitride finish? Say for example your .338 LM barrel lasted 850 rds. normally before loosing accuracy and a new barrel after having a Nitride finish done it lasted for 2000 rds.?

I am really interested in this stuff if it holds true.

Much respect,
-Sv

Don't hold your breath. It'll be year, if ever, before the shooting community comes to any kind of consensus on this.

For now, yous pays yous money, and yous take yous chances.

Ok so there is Nitride treatment. I have also heard of cyrogenic treatment. Perhaps this is the better way to go.

Is there any other treatment's you can do to extend out barrel life?

I wonder if anyone has actually had both treatment's done
smile.gif

-Much respect,
-Sv

Anybody nitride a barrel that was cryo-treated? Could there be any added benefit?

Has anyone here used a nitride on stainless? I've seen a few pics, but was unsure of how anyone liked it long term.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MattK287</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Anybody nitride a barrel that was cryo-treated? Could there be any added benefit?</div></div>

You have to nitride the barrel first. The heat of the nitride will reverse the cryo treatment.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ohnomrbillk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Has anyone here used a nitride on stainless? I've seen a few pics, but was unsure of how anyone liked it long term. </div></div>

The barrels that are nitrided are stainless.