• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Nitride finish

Normally I shoot, then clean with Hoppes and Sweets the first 5 or so. Then Shoot 3 then clean repeat five times or so, then shoot 5 and clean. If you see copper fouling drop off before then then you are done. Be careful not to be tricked by false positives from the brass jag.

The goal is to break in the barrel with as few rounds as possible. The cleaning after each shot with a copper remover ensures that the bullet is polishing the bare metal each time. If you don't then the copper will fill the fine imperfections and it will take longer to smooth out the throat.

If you send too many down the pipe you will have the throat start to crack... not good.

It is not a science, and you will find many, many differing opinions but that is what I have done and will continue to do with my barrels before sending them off.

After getting it back, scrub the ever live'n snot out of it. If you don't go through a couple of brushes and some bore paste you are not done :)

Good luck and I'm confident you will be happy with the results!

Last edited:
Your just trying to remove burr from chambering process

A good smith can polish any imperfection out so firing not required before treatment, this is route i went after speaking to Joel MMI

Nitriding is a heat treatment to harden and toughen the metal. It is not a finish.

If your bore and or chamber were rough when the barrel was nitrided (I'm assuming the ID and OD were both exposed) then they will be piss hard and a copper bullet will do nothing to burnish anything smooth.

Originally Posted by Jedi
Your just trying to remove burr from chambering process

A good smith can polish any imperfection out so firing not required before treatment, this is route i went after speaking to Joel MMI
That would be the best option.

+1 we have done this numerous times with no problems