• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing NM 16A Bull Elk Tag in Hand!

distantfoe

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 23, 2006
El Reno, Ok.
Ater only 3 years of putting in for New Mexico bull elk tags, I drew a 16a late October rifle tag! (Never thought it would happen to be honest but who knew this year it happened) Money is not plentiful so I'm going to try DIY. I've spent a lot of time searching the internet to get an idea of what to expect and what areas will hold elk in the last two weeks of October will very little success.

Any ideas of what I'm getting into in respect road conditions, terrain, etc. would be appreciated. Still not sure to plan on a backpack style hunt or camp at the truck and atv/hike in/out daily.

There is some pretty rugged land there. If you are going to be alone I would suggest leaving some accurate information on your plans and then sticking to them. Hunters get lost regularly in that area. Some monster bulls there too. Wish I had been drawn. Have fun!!!

I've hunted this area before. 16A can easily be done with a truck/ATV camp. Send me a PM I am petty close to you and we can visit. It will be a good hunt and good chance of success.

First off, congrats!!! That is an awesome tag. I know a pretty decent chunk of the unit burned last year. I did some quick research and it appears the fire was pretty low intensity and burned a lot of previously burned area. Also they have only received about 1/3 of their 10 year average rainfall for the area, so most of that burn area probably hasn't put on a lot of new growth yet. Hard to tell without putting eyes on it though. Sounds like finding water is going to be your most important factor unless they get some miraculously wet summer.

h4everything - thanks for the invite! I should have some maps in a few days so I'll pm ya when I receive them to go over it.

Okbow87 - Good to hear from ya! Hopefully the burned areas will hold some elk. From what I've seen the terrain doesn't include a lot of high points that lend themselves to glassing, hopefully the burned areas will make spotting a bit easier.

I hunted the unit first week of Sept archery, about six years ago, and it is a large unit with good roads. Finding elk wasnt hard at all and judging by all the broken sheds we found you may be harder pressed to find a good bull completely intact.

Congrats on an awesome draw! Good luck and be sure to post up some pics.

distantfoe,

Let me be the first to welcome you to New Mexico at the end of this month.

Good luck on your hunt and post up your story and pics!!

Congrats on the tag. It is a good area, my understanding is that the rut is pretty late again this year so that should help you out. It is just starting to cool off so I wouldn't take just cold weather gear... google earth will help you get some ideas of the terrain and there are some great maps and GPS maps available. It has been a few years since I hunted over there but elk are fairly abundant in the area. I would say set up your camp and ATV to your area to start hunting.

Good luck and be safe!

Needless to say, I'm started to get excited. Sounds like the weather situation to this point might actually help me out. The full moon could be an issue, never hunted elk with a full moon.

Any word on what conditions the roads are in after all the rain?