• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing NM Barbary sheep hunt

257speed

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 2, 2007
Alb, New Mexico
Finally got out, with son in tow and hunted these sheep for the first time. It was a hard hunt, with lots of walking and glassing the wide open canyons. The animals are hard to spot, as they blend in very well. Finally able to track some down and get a shot (not long at 285). 7mm WSM with 175gn SMK. Went in opposite shoulder at sharp angle, took out lung, heart, liver and exited side (visible in pic). This is the same rifle/load I used on my Elk I posted here a while back. It was a great hunt, especially with my son there.

P2220123.jpg

P2220123_01.jpg

Re: NM Barbary sheep hunt

Congrats nice looking sheep. I went down to the Guadalupes this weekend but wasn't able to make it happen. The walking for Barbary can hurt you.

Awesome job man, keep up the good work with your son!t Let his friends tag along if they can.

Unfortunately they don't have any friends whose parents are teaching them about the outdoors or guns. Except for my buddy whose two daughters 10 and 14 are avid hunters.

257speed,

Awesome - Great photo's

I'm still looking for some good areas to hunt these sheep. I found a very nice area in Hondo, but the land owner wants $2K per sheep, that's a little rich for me.

Yes, Still want to get an Oryx. Got my name in this year, we will see. The rifle is a Lawton action, brux barrel, manners T2A stock that I built myself.

Cool! I'm headed down there next week and hope to be lucky enough to find one to shoot at, myself. Awesome to get the boy involved! Been hunting with my son since he was only a couple of months old - He loves it! Got his first deer and turkeys last year down in TX.

257, Where did you pull this one out of? I have been chasing a small herd around Grants for the last three years and have yet to come up right. It almost looks like your down south in the Florida's. Good looking sheep though, glad to see I'm not the only who takes the young ones out, in my case it's my granddaughter.

Burnt spam, we were in the southeast corner, west of carlsbad. The herds around grants are few and far between.

Good luck,
Jerry

very nice!! I know you can walk forever trying to find or get a shot on these things, my bro and I just went and did a guided hunt for these in Hondo, tons of fun!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 257speed</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yes, Still want to get an Oryx. Got my name in this year, we will see. The rifle is a Lawton action, brux barrel, manners T2A stock that I built myself.

</div></div>

well if you drawn for oryx let me know, i work out here at WSMR and see them just about everyday. there is one that i have seen on multipe trips up range that i swear is a record of some sorts. his horns have to be atleast 45+ inches. he is a beast.

Nice sheep! Congrats! I may have to take a trip out to NM for barbary myself one day - still hoping to win the lottery for an Oryx or Ibex too.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ayreshead79</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 257speed</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yes, Still want to get an Oryx. Got my name in this year, we will see. The rifle is a Lawton action, brux barrel, manners T2A stock that I built myself.

</div></div>

well if you drawn for oryx let me know, i work out here at WSMR and see them just about everyday. there is one that i have seen on multipe trips up range that i swear is a record of some sorts. his horns have to be atleast 45+ inches. he is a beast. </div></div>

Unfortunatly found out today, no Oryx!! Oh well, we'll see how the rest of the draws go.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 257speed</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ayreshead79</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 257speed</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yes, Still want to get an Oryx. Got my name in this year, we will see. The rifle is a Lawton action, brux barrel, manners T2A stock that I built myself.

</div></div>

well if you drawn for oryx let me know, i work out here at WSMR and see them just about everyday. there is one that i have seen on multipe trips up range that i swear is a record of some sorts. his horns have to be atleast 45+ inches. he is a beast. </div></div>

Unfortunatly found out today, no Oryx!! Oh well, we'll see how the rest of the draws go. </div></div>

same here
cry.gif
mad.gif
cry.gif
... but then again like you said lets see how the rest of the draws go..... i would rather have the elk in the freezer...
whistle.gif