• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

NM/RRA Free Float Barrel Sleeve?

acebanana

Obi Wan Kanobi
Minuteman
Mar 7, 2012
Charlotte, NC
Anyone have any experience with the various FF barrel sleeves out there for AR15s? I really like the look of my FDE MOE handguard but I recently switched out my cheap skinny FN barrel for the 18" SPR Match Rainier Arms barrel and would like to get the most out of it that I can with a FF hand guard. I am aware the MOE handguard would need shaving down to fit on the sleeve.

Also if I did get one my main concern would be heat building up, and if I did drill some holes for heat to vent I would then be worried about how rigid it would be shooting off a bipod?

Thanks

I have seen a couple heavily modded MOEs/NM FF tubes work like what you are proposing, but it WILL work if you have the time, patience, inclination and tools. Be advised though that you will be substantially compromising the integrity of the MOE handguard by modding it in the way that you'll need to do it and you may or may not ultimately achieve the end result you are after...especially if your rifle will see any heavy use afield. As for shooting from a bipod from that setup...I have used a bipod in conjunction with the NM FF tubes/A2 handguards and that setup worked quite well...don't see that the MOE would really be all that different unless properly loading the bipod causes enough stress/strain on it that one or more of the mounting tabs lets loose or you get a lot of flex that causes you problems. I don't see "heat build up" as being a real issue unless you will be running and gunning this rifle pretty hard.

Here is a link to one thread from BARFCOM that will help you: Modding rifle length MOE handguards for a freefloat tube - AR15.COM That example is as detailed a "How To" as I have seen.

Good luck!

Awesome, thanks for the help! I think I'll probably attempt it after Christmas and I figured if I don't like the end result I can always sell the FF tube anyways and go the more traditional route. This particular rifle will mostly be shot off a bench so it shouldn't get very heavy use anyways.