• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

No 208 amax for .3oo wm. whats my next best thing?

19dsniper

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 25, 2010
Fort Hood Texas
With the huge waiting list of people waiting on more 208 grain AMAX. whats the next best bullet for 1000+ yards out of a .300wm? Should i just go with the 210? or is there something better? I am down to my last box of 208's and i know they wont last long!

Re: No 208 amax for .3oo wm. whats my next best thing?

The 210 would be my logical choice.

Depends on your twist rate, I would recommend the berger VLD 210s, or JLK, but you have to watch seating depth with the VLDs they like to be seated into the lands or a 1/1000 or so off from the lands each rifle is different. For a more conventional bullet SMK 240 grn does wonders.

Here is a list of BCs for ya, all info came from Manufactures Websites and are of the G1 variant

210 JLK BC is .665
210 berger VLD is .631
210 SMK BC .645
240 SMK BC .711

Hornady A-max 208 BC .648
The Sierra wouldn't be a bad way to go and you wouldn't have to deal with the VLD seating issue.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: frankythefly</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Here is a list of BCs for ya, all info came from Manufactures Websites and are of the G1 variant

210 JLK BC is <span style="text-decoration: line-through">.665</span> <span style="font-weight: bold">0.630</span>
210 berger VLD is .631
210 SMK BC <span style="text-decoration: line-through">.645</span><span style="font-weight: bold">0.611</span>
240 SMK BC <span style="text-decoration: line-through">.711</span><span style="font-weight: bold">0.647</span>

Hornady A-max 208 BC <span style="text-decoration: line-through">.648</span> <span style="font-weight: bold">0.633</span>
The Sierra wouldn't be a bad way to go and you wouldn't have to deal with the VLD seating issue. </div></div>

I updated these with the real BC's that were tested. I think I got the JLK and 210 SMK right but if not dead nuts, they're much closer.

The 240's are incredibly over-stated by Sierra, that number is only really good above 2500fps.

210 Bergers are an excellent bullet, I've shot a few from my 30-06. I get the Amax's for much cheaper, so I bought them instead, but the Bergers are a very quality product.

The 220 SMK's average G1 per Bryan Litz is about 0.617 IIRC and it's an excellent bullet as well.

Anything shown above will shoot very well from a 300 WM at 1000+yd.

JLK makes 2 different 210's. I've only shot the normal VLD (short boattail) and they perform *very* similarly to the 208, so I'm guessing that BC that Bohem posted is for that one. I got them to run very well jumping almost .250", mag. tolerant and they shot a 5 shot 1 hole group at 100 yds. I have not played with them over 1500.

Keep in mind that Swampy only makes runs of these once or twice a year, so if you catch him at the right time, he'll have some, if not the wait is months.

Try the Berger 210's. I'm pretty sure they were available last I checked.

The Sierra's would work also in theory. I just won't buy them because they're too frickin' expensive and I won't send the message to Sierra that I think they're worth it.

John

<span style="font-weight: bold">ETA</span> if you're only shooting to 1000 guys have been getting fairly good luck with the 220 SMK and it's less than the 210.

I had used factory 190 grain Sierra's before i began using 210 bergers and I have been very happy with the 210's. I have made hits at 1 mile two different times and at 1000 yards I have had 3 inch groups (3 shots). They are expensive but worth it. I have not had the opportunity to shoot 208 AMAX mentioned above. What is the BC for those bullets and how can I get on the waiting list?
smile.gif