• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

No.4 (T) repro build

future_sniper

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Nov 20, 2009
Ruther Glen, VA
I have a No.4 MkI that I want to build into a No.4 (T) reproduction as I absolutely love the rifle but have no intention of spending the money for a real one anytime soon. Has anyone done one recently? Is there a good place besides Numrich to get the parts? Who did the work to install the scope mounts? Any help would be appreciated.

Reactions: Jarridmoore
I searched “No.4 (t)” and found some links:

I’ll repost an earlier recommendation:I don't have any names of US-based gunsmiths (others might), but I will offer this: Before you attempt a British No. 4 (T) sniper repo, I recommend you get this $20 book off amazon.com and read the chapter on making a reproduction. My guess is the author might know of a US-based gunsmith given that he has a real and repo No 4.

THE MATCHLESS ENFIELD .303 No. 4 MK I (T) SNIPER: AND BRITAIN’S ELITE FORCE OF SCOUT/SNIPERS WHO DOMINATED WWII BATTLEFIELDS. (Art In Arms Press Book): John, Jeff: 9781732639546: Amazon.com: Books

THE MATCHLESS ENFIELD .303 No. 4 MK I (T) SNIPER: AND BRITAIN’S ELITE FORCE OF SCOUT/SNIPERS WHO DOMINATED WWII BATTLEFIELDS. (Art In Arms Press Book) [John, Jeff] on Amazon.com. *FREE* shipping on qualifying offers. THE MATCHLESS ENFIELD .303 No. 4 MK I (T) SNIPER: AND BRITAIN’S ELITE FORCE OF...
www.amazon.com

What you will learn in that book is that getting the scope mounting pads correctly mounted and truly parallel to the bore is not easy - and I would only use a gunsmith who has done this before on Enfields. I also learned that the quality of the reproduction No 32 scopes is not the same as the original scopes. I don't have a Enfield No 4 (T), but it appears to be difficult to do correctly...so I recommend spending this $20 first before you start down that road....

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: ZG47A
I've been looking for someone to do this for years and still haven't found a smith thats willing. Or to do a 7.62 conversion for a L42 clone.

If you plan on using a repro No32 scope, please manage your expectations early.

I've tested a few, including 2 X made by RSM, a No32Mk2 clone and a No32Mk3 clone.
On the Mk2 the reticle bounced around all over the place when turning the elevation turret, didnt track or return to zero . no good.
The Mk3 the elevation drum would slip as you turned the outer turret, meaning your markings and zero were all over the place, so essentially it became zero and hold only. Not much fun with that post reticle .
On both the finish would scratch off with your fingernail.

Regarding scope mount fitting, it's not something you should trust any smith with unless they have successful experience undertaking these conversions.
Brian Dick is a go to gunsmith in the USA for these conversions, a good thread here: