• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

No BS Tripod help

Jigstick

“What’s the matter colonel sanders….chicken?”
Minuteman
  • Jul 21, 2017
    Pittsburgh PA
    My head is fucking spinning trying to figure out my tripod purchase. I want to get set to use both my SP10 and my primary hunting rifle off of a tripod. Here is my understanding:

I need to attach arca adapters to the bottom of both rifles

I need a tripod

I need a ball head

I need a leveling base? But I don’t know wtf this is.

The RRS tripods are too pricey. I remember coming across a tripod made by veterans that costs about $300 but for the life of me can’t remember the name of the company

two vets shooting has quality tripods at a fraction of the cost

you need a tripod

then pick a ball head OR a leveling bass. they are just two different styles.

most of them come with the arca CLAMP on the ball head or leveling head. then you need the arca PLATE on your rifle

That’s the guys! Thanks man.

do leveling plates still give you 360* movement for panning? I understand how a ball head gives you that ability. How does the leveling plate still pan around with no ball?

maybe tell me who makes a good leveling plate and post a link and I can decipher how they actually work

for example:

i bought the RECON from two vets, and their 44mm ball head.

that's all i had to purchase. the ball head has the arca clamp with it.

that allows my rifle with arca PLATE to clamp into the ball head.

a leveling head is limited range of motion, but usually a little more solid than smaller ballheads. if you plan on shooting any HIGH angle stuff - a leveling head is not for you. but for small angles/flat shooting. a leveling head is a good choice.

make sure the weight rating of whatever you pick is enough for your rifle.

That’s the guys! Thanks man.

do leveling plates still give you 360* movement for panning? I understand how a ball head gives you that ability. How does the leveling plate still pan around with no ball?
    yes you can pan 360 degrees.

you are just slightly limited in up/down motion relative to a ball head

How do you adjust the tension on the ball head? So that it keeps the rifle stable while also allowing you to track your target? Or do you have to constantly be loosening up some type of tension nut every time you want to move the rifle

How do you adjust the tension on the ball head? So that it keeps the rifle stable while also allowing you to track your target? Or do you have to constantly be loosening up some type of tension nut every time you want to move the rifle

there's a big knob on the ballhead to adjust tension. it is possible to find the sweet spot to support the rifle yet still move it.

in my limited experience with leveling heads - it's a bit easier with them.

but it's possible with both.

Just for clarification purposes two vets is a good company, but they only import the tripods. They aren’t not made by them or here in the US. I believe Chinese OEM? Could be Japan. Having said that, they seem like a good budget option.
    As others have said. Pick the tripod (or legs as some call it) then find a compatible head design (ball head or leveling base). I know you said RRS is too expensive, but at the very least their website has good illustrations on leveling bases and ball heads for educational purposes.

You get 360* with both head styles, what you lose is this: ball heads especially budget ones won’t be as stable to shoot from as a budget leveling base will be. Glassing is not as convenient from a budget leveling base as it will be from a ball head. Leveling base also can’t get as steep an angle either down or up as a ball head.
    One other option is buy budget legs, with a quality head like an RRS head. The anvil-30 is the best head design to shoot from as it’s a hybrid of both a ball head and a leveling base. Honestly tho, the RRS bh55 isn’t bad to shoot off of either.

Buy Cheap China tripod (any of the ones you see not made in US for $800+ are rebranded these)for $300ish

Buy adapter plate from dude who makes them here $80ish

Buy RRS Anvil 30 (This is where you spend the money) for $450.

Yea you will spend $800 it will perform 99% as well as the $1500 setups and way better than the cheaper shit. Anvil 30 is no joke worth it.

Reactions: kerjo
    Get the two vets supply and RRS anvil 30 ball head. You will be thrilled. I had the two vets and bought a RRS tripod and yes I love the RRS, but the two vets is well worth the money. The Anvil 30 ball head has no equal to me. It works great.

The two vets is just a rebranded Chinese tripod you can find on Alibaba for 1/3 of the price. The Leofotos are basically the same as well.

Im thinking about putting a Seekins MRAS MLOK section on the bottom of my SP10. The RRN Anvil 30 ball head would clamp directly onto it?

American tripod for less than RRS.
    Actual carbon fiber for the legs might be Japanese. Their sister company, Colorado tripod company uses Japanese legs

Im thinking about putting a Seekins MRAS MLOK section on the bottom of my SP10. The RRN Anvil 30 ball head would clamp directly onto it?
    Yes, can see the Arca clamp in the pics:

I went feisol 3372 and rrs leveling head. Purchased mine like 3 years ago, before there were all the options of today. I’m very happy with it, and I’m in Indiana (relatively flat) the leveling head serves my purposes well. We even shoot barret 50s off of these and they are handle them fine. It’s really hard to believe.

In the same situation as Jigstick.....but I want something similar to the Hog Saddle or Vyce to clamp my rifles into....any recommendations for this type of set-up??

Field optics research has been getting some good reviews lately as well. They look like a good middle ground between the 2 vets and rrs.

Reactions: toader
    I considered the hog saddle. My hunting rifle is in a Manners carbon fiber stock. And I’m not keen on drilling into it and installing an ARCA rail on the bottom of it. But on the other hand my SP10 will have an Arca rail and supposedly they hold the rifle much more securely than the saddles. 🤷‍♂️

@koshkin

could you tell the folks the name of the tripod you have been using?
    I forgot it after reading about it in one of your posts.

thinks sir

Buy Cheap China tripod (any of the ones you see not made in US for $800+ are rebranded these)for $300ish

Buy adapter plate from dude who makes them here $80ish

Buy RRS Anvil 30 (This is where you spend the money) for $450.

Yea you will spend $800 it will perform 99% as well as the $1500 setups and way better than the cheaper shit. Anvil 30 is no joke worth it.
    I am interested in putting the RRS Anvil on my Manfrotto tripod. Can you specify who makes the adapter plate you are talking about or provide a link?

For the last couple of years I've used a ballhead for all my tripod needs (Labradar, bino's, spotting scopes, rifle shooting and xbow shooting) and it has met my needs UNTIL I tried my buddies tripod with a leveling head and OMG. I like it so much I ordered Vortex's new Radian tripod with leveling head. It has 15° of movement which meets all of me needs so far. Though the ballhead meets 100% of my needs the leveling head meets 99% of my needs but MAKES that 99% that much better. The leveling head just keeps my rifle closer to the upper vertices therefore adds more stability while the ballhead add's height above the vertices.

For anyone who is on a budget, and wants a "one & done setup":
    $150 - BOG DeathGrip Aluminum
    $250 - BOG DeathGrip Carbon
    (shop around, you might find slightly cheaper prices)
    https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=bog+deathgrip+tripod&FORM=HDRSC3

They are a no nonsense, will work with just about anything, setup. It is not something that I would deploy with (plastic versus metal parts), but it will get the job done for most shooting applications.

If you want the most "versatile setup":
    Take whatever head that you want, and put a RRS SC-LR Clamp on it. That QD Lever Clamp can grab BOTH a PIC Rail & Swiss Arca Rail. That gives you the versatility to grab a typical AR Pic Rail and a Precision Rifle Arca Rail.
    Clamp.jpg

Then take a Hog Saddle (which ever model works for you), and put a Swiss Arca rail section on the bottom of it. You can then quickly & easily grab/mount the Hog Saddle with the SC-LR clamp on the tripod.
    Clamp Saddle.jpg

Saddle.jpg

If you carry/use that setup, then you can grab/mount 95% of the rifles out there. Downside, it is NOT a cheap setup!

Ball Head versus Leveling Base pretty much comes down to range of motion, preference, and price. Like most things, you will ultimately get what you pay for. If you want a smooth tracking, rock solid, easy to use model, they are NOT cheap!

There are a lot of preferences with tripods:
    - Price
    - Size & Weight
    - Leg Locking Mechanism: Clamp versus Twist Lock
    - Head Mounting Style
    Like the heads, you will pretty much get what you pay for. However that being said, if it does not have to be 100% failsafe, there are some good economical options as mentioned in this topic.

Best of Luck!

Last edited:
    @koshkin

could you tell the folks the name of the tripod you have been using?
    I forgot it after reading about it in one of your posts.

thinks sir

It is indeed PRO32 from Field Optics Research with the clamp that has both Arca-swiss and Picatinny clamp. I also have their original Gunpod, for rifles that do not have a bottom rail.

I am kicking off a small comparison of tripod mounted rifle vices, so I have two newer models here from Field Optics Research. One is basically like the original one I have, but lighter. The other is aimed more at hunting rifles because the jaws can accomodate tapered stocks (within reason). I also have the VYCE from RRS that already got here. It is less feature rich than Field Optics Research, but is super smooth. Both Field Optics Research and RRS seem really nicely made. Reaper Grip is on its way here. I was thinking about adding a Hog Saddle to it, but I have not been able to reach them.

ILya

Im really considering this tripod. Doesn’t look that much different than the Feisol ones.
    That tripod is what I run. If you search RT90C there is a long thread on here about it. That thread is why I gave it a try. I put this head on it: http://www.fieldopticsresearch.com/...Lever-Clamp-with-Pan-Axis---NEW-x51632630.htm

With this setup I can do PRS with ARCA, or what it gets used the most for is night calling with picatinny. Rock solid for a calling setup. I wasn’t overly impressed with the Field Optics Research mount but it gets the job done.

That tripod is what I run. If you search RT90C there is a long thread on here about it. That thread is why I gave it a try. I put this head on it: http://www.fieldopticsresearch.com/...Lever-Clamp-with-Pan-Axis---NEW-x51632630.htm

With this setup I can do PRS with ARCA, or what it gets used the most for is night calling with picatinny. Rock solid for a calling setup. I wasn’t overly impressed with the Field Optics Research mount but it gets the job done.

That's the same head I use. A good quality bowl top is a lot steadier than any ballhead I have tried to date, but the angle is a little limited, so I also bought their high angle bracket http://www.fieldopticsresearch.com/.../p/High-Angle-Bracket---HAB-270-x49747654.htm
    If you have an Arca plate on your stock, this pretty much compensates for the steep angles while being more stable than ball heads.

ILya

Reactions: 64E and Jigstick
    So if I want to use this tripod:

With this thing:

And this thing:

Is there any other adapters, brackets, screws, etc...that I need to buy? These products would allow me to directly clamp an ARCA plate or Seekins MRAS MLOK Rail directly time the plate listed above...or into that saddle?

Be conscious that you’re (potentially) stacking the ~3” ASFPL atop the bowl adapter, and then another saddle type clamp atop that; you’re giving up a lot of stability by putting the weight up higher than it needs to be in order to accommodate every type of rifle with the Arca / Pic clamp and then the Hog-Saddle clone atop that. If you are able to skip the Hog Saddle clamp and add Arca to your rifles, that seems to be a preferential setup (even if you don’t buy our Arca - Mlok adapters 🤣).

I’m not sure if you will have issues with the ASFPL unthreading from the Innorel bowl adapter since you’re relying on the bowl for pan; I know the adapter I got from @midwestoffroad solved that issue for my Innorel / Anvil setup. Maybe he could lend some insight.

Seems like lots of guys are skipping the clamps and rails all together and just throwing a flat table-like surface atop their tripods and then putting their fortune-cookie / GameChanger bags atop the flat surface for maximum speed and flexibility. Food for thought.

Reactions: midwestoffroad
    Seems like lots of guys are skipping the clamps and rails all together and just throwing a flat table-like surface atop their tripods and then putting their fortune-cookie / GameChanger bags atop the flat surface for maximum speed and flexibility. Food for thought.
    This is what I do most of the time. Able Table.

With this thing:

And this thing:

Is there any other adapters, brackets, screws, etc...that I need to buy? These products would allow me to directly clamp an ARCA plate or Seekins MRAS MLOK Rail directly time the plate listed above...or into that saddle?

Depending on what range of motion you need and if you need both picitiny and arca clamping capabilities the stock inorell leveling base would work alone with the saddle or a RRS sclr clamp

With this thing:

And this thing:

I can‘t give a definitive answer because I don’t own those other products. I bought the clamp with pan axis. First thing I did was ditch the pan axis on my clamp, and direct thread it onto the stud that sticks up out of the bowl on the tripod. Configured this way, it gives me plenty of tilt for my purposes, and pan is accomplished with the bowl as designed into the tripod. It does appear you could do the same thing with the saddle but I am not sure of the mounting thread compatibility between the bowl/saddle? It also appears you may loose some tilt because the saddle would not be sitting very high at all above the bowl this way.

The problem is I don’t want to be installing arca base plates onto a bunch of my carbon fiber and hand carved stocks. I’d rather clamp those into a saddle. But on my AR10/15s I plan on using the ARCA bases. So trying to cover both bases.

Just an FYI, if it hasn't been mentioned already: the anvil 30 will clamp on to ARCA and standard picatinny rails.

It's part of the reason it's so popular.

Reactions: Jigstick
    I’ve thought about putting the RRS Anvil on that Innorel tripod. Then I would just have to buy some form of saddle for my composite rifles.

What's your total budget? That might help us give some more definite recommendations.

Best bang for buck in my opinion is a 3372 and a RRS leveling head. If you must have a clamp style, also a PIG saddle with a arca thing on the bottom.

If you'll only take seated shots or are using this for light ar15's, you can get away with the 3342. I personally greatly prefer the leveling head over the ball head and think it's way easier to use with gloves and at night. I would not get anything except for an RRS head. If I couldn't afford it, I'd get a pig saddle with no head and save up for an RRS head.