• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

No budget lightweight hog tripod

TheHebrewHammer

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
May 1, 2021
The South
So I got a heavier cheaper tripod for myself as I am use to carrying around a MK48 or 240B all day. I am looking for the best ultralight tripod for my father for hunting hogs. It will be holding up a AR-10 that will be no heavier than 12-13 pounds. I would like this to have all the features but am not well versed in tripods. Price is not an issue, buy once cry once. I tried searching past threads but couldn't find a post on a no budget setup, just recommendations based on price.

Diver has some great threads on tripods, i went through bogden, fesoli, then rrs.

I am no genius on the matter, but I know you are probably looking at Really Right Stuff or Outdoorsman tripods. I would take a look through the Modern Day Sniper podcast as Caylen and Phil have discussed tripods a fair bit. Maybe one of them will chime in here.

Reactions: TheHebrewHammer
Imo, the promediagear has more features than the rrs or it did when I looked at both of the top tier options last. The RRS has a seller reputation and is outstanding gear.. The RRS Anvil is best for shooting.

Yall are gonna have to post model numbers along with companies, I have no idea what I'm looking at when I look RRS website.

Not sure how light weight it needs to be but my RRS 34L with an anvil 30 is remarkable

It can level anywhere, I can sit, kneel, stand or go prone with it, as can my kids (7 and 10)

It also works for big tall dudes, I’m 5’11” and the apex fully extended is over my head meaning a 7’ dude could probably shoot standing comfortably

My 10 year old can manipulate it to where she can hit clay pigeons from standing at 200 yds with a 22 and spot her shots with an ar15
8B7182FA-300B-4C19-B380-75714E22CFE7.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: TheHebrewHammer
Midwayusa.com had rrs tripods in stock. Not sure if they still do. I tried the RRS ascend but it really wasn't that much better (steadier) then my cheap tripod. I was trying to go lightweight and now I have a 34L coming to replace it.

I guess it depends on how you will use it. I use a set of $100 Jim Shockey shooting sticks. Light and mobile. We walk miles most nights and they are easy to deploy and shoot from when the sounder starts running.

For me the ticket for hog hunting is the rrs 22i with an anvil 30. The collapsed length is fairly long but I don’t think there’s a tripod that’s faster to deploy. It’s good in muddy fields as well since the twist locks are at the top of the lower leg. No need to get my hands muddy handling the feet/lower legs.

If I had to go another way it would probably be a 24l with the tfct apex and anvil head for the compactness.

For me the ticket for hog hunting is the rrs 22i with an anvil 30. The collapsed length is fairly long but I don’t think there’s a tripod that’s faster to deploy. It’s good in muddy fields as well since the twist locks are at the top of the lower leg. No need to get my hands muddy handling the feet/lower legs.

If I had to go another way it would probably be a 24l with the tfct apex and anvil head for the compactness.
It was a tough decision for me between the 22i and the TFCT-33 three section leg model. The longer folded length of the 22i didn't bother me at all, but when set up at a sitting height, the 22i does require a bigger span of real estate to get set up. I ended up with the 3 section leg model as it is more versatile in hilly country and less ground footprint needed set up for a sitting position.

As far as muddy use goes with it, I just leave the bottom leg sections about 1/3-1/2 way out to about the length of a collapsed 22i leg and leave them be until I get back in and wash the mud off. This way, any mud has about zero chance of getting into the lower adjuster collars. I just use the middle leg adjusters to deploy the tripod out in the muddy field.

I’ll second newguy’s post above. Anvil30 on a 22i works great for my type of hunting, which is almost always spot, stalk close as possible and shoot standing. It lives under my back seat, so compactness not an issue. Really quick to deploy with only 3 twist locks, super stable and light enough so it’s no big deal walking across fields. I’ve used trigger sticks and reaper grips, both which are fine at those low and medium price points but if your ok with not just breaking but blowing up the bank take a look at the 22i/anvil.

Here’s some pics, @TheHebrewHammer thats your old HaloLR on the roost.

Attachments

• 2B822CED-70BD-4221-AF8F-B5264088CFBD.jpeg
    2B822CED-70BD-4221-AF8F-B5264088CFBD.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 120
  • 9288A9A6-B248-4CD9-8FB1-DA76E57F1416.jpeg
    9288A9A6-B248-4CD9-8FB1-DA76E57F1416.jpeg
    686 KB · Views: 122
  • E35BE478-2E32-4629-B9E8-4F53C675811C.jpeg
    E35BE478-2E32-4629-B9E8-4F53C675811C.jpeg
    658 KB · Views: 97
RRS is the way to go if no budget. For mainly shooting off of it, the 34L with Anvil head is the easy button. If the gun he is shooting has an arca rail or picatinny rail on it, or you are wanting to put an arca or picatinny rail on it then that is all you need. Just clamp the gun in and shoot. If the gun doesn't then get the Vyce also, to clamp around the gun. It is crazy how accurately you can shoot off of them, I can easily ring plates out to 6-700+ standing with mine and I really haven't even practiced shooting off of it much.

Call them and talk to them about how long the backorder is, it usually isn't too long. I have orderd 2 tripods direct from them, both were backordered and they took 1-2 months tops. Or can search around for a retailer to have them in stock.

Tripod and Anvil

Vyce

Last edited:
Any dealers on here or recommended places to get it from? Wont be home for 6 months so don't really care about back-order.

I have a RRS with Anvil-30 for shooting, and it's a fantastic setup. (Mine has the Anvil-30 Integrated into the tripod, not a separate head)

That said, recently I was planning a trip where I wanted a really nice RRS tripod dedicated for photography. RRS was sold out everwhere, so I picked up a ProMediaGear TR344... really nice tripod, made in usa... worth taking a look at them... i paired it with a RRS ballhead

For hogs, I wouldn't recommend the Anvil unless you are smashing them at long distances during the day. Don't get me wrong, the Anvil is sweet, but it isn't my first choice for that application. You can't go wrong with an RRS tripod itself, they are awesome. I ended up just using the ultralite bog deathgrip on top of my tripod for hogs. This is primarily hunting at night where a "long" shot is over 150 yards. It provides you with a solid rest for relatively short range shots and you can easily remove your gun if it's not clamped in in case shit gets weird and they start running right at you.

I tried the Anvil and also a big ball head, didn't work out great for me. I have thermals, but am still a poor when it comes to NVGs and the fuck around time getting everything locked in while in the pitch black was detrimental to my hog shooting.

My plan is to have to gun ready to go including bipod about 150-200 yards out and pick it up and start approaching as close as I can get. I have a bog pod and my dad will be using it for the next 6 months to see if he can handle the weight of a ar-10 + scope + clip on + bog pod. I am willing to bet I'm going to hear some complaints so I'm looking for options for him and I can use the bog pod.

I have the RRS 22I with anvil 30. It's not the shortest when collapsed, but the leg locks are more in reach. Seems a little more stable than my other RRS soar anvil 30 ( 3 leg sections). It also seems lighter due to less hardware.

My plan is to have to gun ready to go including bipod about 150-200 yards out and pick it up and start approaching as close as I can get. I have a bog pod and my dad will be using it for the next 6 months to see if he can handle the weight of a ar-10 + scope + clip on + bog pod. I am willing to bet I'm going to hear some complaints so I'm looking for options for him and I can use the bog pod.

Does he or you have an ar15 he could use instead of ar10? Would cut a lot of weight right there. Even if you just buy a new upper for an ar15 in 6.8spc or 6.5 grendel or something. Lots of ppl still blast hogs with plain ole 223/556 FMJ's too.

He loves his 7.62x39 upper, but he recently built a lightweight carbon fiber 14.5 upper and we have several thousand rounds of 168 gr HPBT Sierra matchking factory ammo.

rrs with anvil rules

This. I have a TFCT-33 and it's the shit for shooting work, and still works quite well for spotting.

For hogs, I wouldn't recommend the Anvil unless you are smashing them at long distances during the day. Don't get me wrong, the Anvil is sweet, but it isn't my first choice for that application. You can't go wrong with an RRS tripod itself, they are awesome. I ended up just using the ultralite bog deathgrip on top of my tripod for hogs. This is primarily hunting at night where a "long" shot is over 150 yards. It provides you with a solid rest for relatively short range shots and you can easily remove your gun if it's not clamped in in case shit gets weird and they start running right at you.

I tried the Anvil and also a big ball head, didn't work out great for me. I have thermals, but am still a poor when it comes to NVGs and the fuck around time getting everything locked in while in the pitch black was detrimental to my hog shooting.

My experience has been the opposite, I love using mine for night hog hunting. I can flip the release lever and my rifle lifts right off the tripod if I need to ditch it.

Reactions: shields shtr
My experience has been the opposite, I love using mine for night hog hunting. I can flip the release lever and my rifle lifts right off the tripod if I need to ditch it.
Yeah, this probably works 99% of the time, and the added stability is probably worth it. I just had one situation where I was shooting a hog fairly close and after I shot his buddy ran right at me. Not sure if it was actually charging or not, probably just being a dumb animal. It happened pretty fast, but I was like a monkey fuckin a football and instinctively tried to pull my rifle off the head when it was locked in and ended up doing this sideways leaning gangster style type deal with little to no success. I am not the worlds greatest shot, but usually just a semi solid rest for me is more than sufficient to land a first rounder in the wheelhouse before they all scatter and all bets are off. Not to mention the Anvil is so stupid solid it is almost toooo easy, especially the first shot.

Yeah, this probably works 99% of the time, and the added stability is probably worth it. I just had one situation where I was shooting a hog fairly close and after I shot his buddy ran right at me. Not sure if it was actually charging or not, probably just being a dumb animal. It happened pretty fast, but I was like a monkey fuckin a football and instinctively tried to pull my rifle off the head when it was locked in and ended up doing this sideways leaning gangster style type deal with little to no success. I am not the worlds greatest shot, but usually just a semi solid rest for me is more than sufficient to land a first rounder in the wheelhouse before they all scatter and all bets are off. Not to mention the Anvil is so stupid solid it is almost toooo easy, especially the first shot.

I found running the tripod a little shorter and spreading my legs wider to compensate (lowering my upper body without hunching) helps with getting out of the Anvil quickly once I pop the lever - just stand up full height and the rifle lifts out. I haven't ever tried getting closer than ~30 yards, and I almost always have a pistol on me to go with the AR just in case.

Reactions: shields shtr
I’ll second newguy’s post above. Anvil30 on a 22i works great for my type of hunting, which is almost always spot, stalk close as possible and shoot standing. It lives under my back seat, so compactness not an issue. Really quick to deploy with only 3 twist locks, super stable and light enough so it’s no big deal walking across fields. I’ve used trigger sticks and reaper grips, both which are fine at those low and medium price points but if your ok with not just breaking but blowing up the bank take a look at the 22i/anvil.

Here’s some pics, @TheHebrewHammer thats your old HaloLR on the roost.
I’ll second this as well. I love my 4 section RRS but for night hunting the legs stay extended. The 22i is ideal.

Here's a pix of me in the middle of P. dog town in the middle of a mag change. My friends and I buy he tripod used off of Craigslist for $100 or slightly less. We built our own Hog Saddles with stuff you can buy from a hardware or big box store. Total cost of the Hog Saddle is less than $20 and they work great! My friends rig is in the back ground.

Attachments

• Hog_Saddle.jpg
    Hog_Saddle.jpg
    402.2 KB · Views: 116

Do you have a dovetail rail or picatinny that you’re clipping into? I tried pic rail for a while but as you said it’s a pita to clip into in the dark. Dovetail rocks right in. Also I started running my plate further forward so my hand is basically on the anvil the whole time. Very easy to flip the lever and get out of it in a hurry.

Do you have a dovetail rail or picatinny that you’re clipping into?
Arca. Overall, I would say the Anvil setup is definitely the most solid. For me my setup is more than sufficient for "hog accuracy" and just eliminates the extra (even if rarely needed) step of unclipping from a clamp. Might be more of a personal preference deal.