• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing No clue where to put this....M1 Carbine

desertrat1979

Private
Minuteman
Feb 20, 2006
Southern NV
I was at a loss as to which sections this goes under. Its vintage, but no sniper rifle. Its a semi-auto, but not in the same class as an AR, Garand, or M14 (not in my eyes at least).

My wife just inherited an M1 Carbine from her grandfather. After doing some research I learned that it is a National Ordnance and was made between 62-68. Only drawback...the extractor is missing.

Long story....I think this happened when we went to test fire it, as there was a malfunction on the first round. Spent round stayed and new round jammed. Looked and compared it to another one we had and sure enough, the extractor was not there. I assume, to remove the extractor, you need to push on the ejector to align a hole for removal. Well, this thing had so much grit and gunk that the ejector was hanging up. So I am figuring this caused it to fail in keeping the extractor captured while the bolt was opened at some point. The little sping was still there, held in by carbon and grit.

So, my question. I went to Numrich and found 4 different extractors to choose from. Only one is just listed as a plain extractor. The other 3 are described to have markings on them:
IBM Marked IB
IBM Marked W-B
and Underwood Marked .U.
Since I never saw the original, I have no clue which one was in there. Anyone have any idea which is which?

Re: No clue where to put this....M1 Carbine

Makes no difference they are all interchangable, pick the cheapest
You have a commercial carbine made with some USGI parts

Re: No clue where to put this....M1 Carbine

I collect and work on M1 Carbines and can just about guarantee that you'll want to get the bolt assembly tool. A genuine USGI one goes for around $50. A commercial one available through Sarco is about $22. I have both and the commercial one works just fine.

BTW, if the extractor broke, there's an excellent possibility that the extractor plunger (a really tiny part) and the extractor plunger spring both vanished.

If you're interested, send me the bolt and I'll replace the parts for $12, including return shipping. PM for the details.

Cheers,
Richard