• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

No decapper on 308

citysmasher

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 27, 2008
Tulsa, OK
www.urbanrifleman.com
I replaced my decapper on my Hornady 308 sizer with one from a 22-250 about 6 years ago. So, obviously there is no expander ball at exit.

I have loaded for both gas guns and bolt guns. My MI with a 308 barrel would shoot 3/4 min with Match iron sights. My latest Rem 700 shot right at .25 MOA yesterday.

It works and I know the cases gauge straighter. I do have to use a VLD reamer.

I was thinking of getting a bushing die. Why?

Is anyone else doing this?

Re: No decapper on 308

Looks like the die is not undersizing the neck too much yet you are getting enough tension for a usable level. As long as the neck tension is good I wouldn't change it.

I have done the same with 223's in the past and done fine with it.

Greg

If your brass is not splitting 1 or more out of a 100 after 6 reloadings, you're probably okay

The bullets are doing what the expander ball would be doing if it were there, plus a little extra.

To know for sure, mic the necks in two places 90♠ apart after sizing and then again after seating. That will tell you how much the bullets have to "expand" your necks after sizing, and whether the sizing on the necks is a bit overdone.

Then again, why bother? It's working for you.

Yes, it will work. But you will have a ton of neck tension on the bullet. Once you have worked up a load like this, just keep it going. Just chamfer with the VLD tool a little more than normal, so you don't shave the bullet jacket. That's the only problem doing it this way, plus the added neck tension. Have you measured your run-out?

Chad

I leave the expander out of my dies as often as the brass will allow. I use a de-capper die before tumbling. The brass seams to last longer, headspace is much
more consistent especially with older or harder brass.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ChadTRG42</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yes, it will work. But you will have a ton of neck tension on the bullet. Once you have worked up a load like this, just keep it going. Just chamfer with the VLD tool a little more than normal, so you don't shave the bullet jacket. That's the only problem doing it this way, plus the added neck tension. Have you measured your run-out?

Chad
</div></div>

I do seem to hit the sweet spot of the loads about a grain low.

I have had a few split necks with one batch of brass. I never had splits necks before using this batch.

What I really want is someone to change the neck diameter of my sizer die.

If you use a Forester Sizing Die, you can send it back to Forester (or just call them and purchase a new one from the start) and they will open up the neck to whatever size you spec. I did this with my .223 FL sizer had them open the neck to .244 which gives me .003 tension from a .247 loaded round. Works like a charm. I think they charged me $20-$25.

Danny