• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing No Divot for gas block?

Tactical30

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
May 5, 2009
Eastern Ohio
I want to install a low profile gas block on my new AR build cuz its a mid-length gas setup and im putting a Larue 13.2" Hangaurd on, I also have the Larue and Daniel Defense low profile gas blocks as spares (dont ask) but the bbl I got does not have divots in on it. Is that ok to install w/o the divots on the bbl? I heard that the only reason the front sight posts are divoted on is becuse in combat its not as easy to move it if you bump the sight post. I dont know if thats true or not but it kinda makes sense. I just wanna know if i can install a L.P. gas block without having to divot a new bbl.

Re: No Divot for gas block?

Just line it up and tighten the set screws. You'll be fine. If it bothers you back the screws out and you should have marks where you can put divots. Most front sight posts are installed with tapered pins.

if i did back the screws up to make a couple divots , whats the safest way to do it? Small Dremel bit , Regular drill and small drill bit? Just thinking about doing that makes me nervous.

Another option is to buy a gas block dimpler from Rainer Arms. Here's the description from their site:

<span style="font-style: italic">Easily secure your low profile gas block by drilling proper sized dimples every time. One screw aligns with the gas hole while the other nylon tipped screw tightens down on the barrel holding it securely in place. Use a 11&#8260;64 drill bit to properly drill out the dimples. Fits, VLTOR, PRI and many other low profile gas blocks. </span>

http://www.rainierarms.com/?page=shop/detail&product_id=1089

It sells for $39 and but I think you would have to do quite a few builds to get your money's worth or you could sell it or rent it out to your friends once you're done.

Hope this helps.

You're putting way too much thought into it. Just line up the gas port and screw it down tight, you are not going to hurt anything.

Make damn sure that gas port is lined up, otherwise you'll have nothing but problems. If you get the gas port lined up, secure the gas block, then remove it and drill dimples with a standard bit where the setscrews marked the barrel. You might not "need" dimples, but better safe than sorry, barrel makers put them there for good reason.

Part of the reason, you don't have to tighten the screws as much to achieve as good or better holding power than just running setscrews down on the smooth barrel exterior.

-matt