• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

No frills, all business. Cost to build a 300wm 700 Rem?

EotS

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Nov 12, 2020
South
75% bench, 25% hunting. Something very closely configured to what a Bergara HMR is. 26in bbl, heavy profile, threaded. Mag fed(likely mag fed, I'm flexible on that) , likely in a KRG Bravo.

What real world cost am I looking at? What's the most effective specific brand parts to compile for this? Again, not looking for flash.
Assuming I go with a trued factory action and bolt...?

Something like the Pacific tool and gauge actions for $67ish

Or, would I be better off starting with the Rem 700 Long range, and have it worked? I know Rem QC ain't all that but having my smith true up the action should fix all the factory shortcomings, and I hear the stock is decent. I can get one for $679

Thoughts?

Last edited:
Reactions: Distance570
How about a Remington 700 police and if you want one, get a Bravo chassis for it.
Mine was super accurate with 212 grain Eld-x right out of the box.

I'd go cheap remington donor action with a remage nut and criterion prefit. You should be able to put it together for under $1500 with a decent aftermarket trigger and the bravo. You could even do it for less depending on whether you want the barrel threaded and what you get the action for. Probably the best bang for the buck going.

If tikka makes a t3x in 300wm/7rem with a heavier barrel I'd look there first.

Reactions: Holliday
I'd go cheap remington donor action with a remage nut and criterion prefit. You should be able to put it together for under $1500 with a decent aftermarket trigger and the bravo. You could even do it for less depending on whether you want the barrel threaded and what you get the action for. Probably the best bang for the buck going.

This is probably what I’d do as well.

Tikka makes one, but it's $1900, and I ain't paying almost 2k for something with a HF barrel.

If you're thinking that a Bergara HMR is a good thing, why not just get that?

Reactions: gnochi
Tikka makes one, but it's $1900, and I ain't paying almost 2k for something with a HF barrel.
you might be the first one complaining about a tikka barrel that's not because they tend to be a little slow

for $2k you could build a damn nice custom and not make any compromises
origin
prefit barrel
bravo
krg bravo
tt special

any reason to not do a 300PRC versus the winmag?

What model? The only model I know of that's that expensive is the tac a1. Believe it or not, the tikkas are pretty damn accurate, maybe even the most accurate of all factory rifles, hammer forged or not. Sako's are CHF too.

From what I've seen, the tikkas outshoot the bergaras, are a little more consistent and the actions are (IMO) a lot nicer too. Triggers are about as good as factory triggers get. I don't own a tikka so I'm not the expert here, but I believe you can also switch between a long and short action by swapping the bolt stop, which I kind of like too. I just wish they came in more (better?) configurations. Maybe a little longer barrel on the CTRs, a broader selection of chamberings and either additional stock options or throwaways like the walmart remingtons to keep the price a little lower for tinkerers.

No stake in the game, so get whatever suits you. Just sharing my admittedly limited experience.

you might be the first one complaining about a tikka barrel that's not because they tend to be a little slow

for $2k you could build a damn nice custom and not make any compromises
origin
prefit barrel
bravo
krg bravo
tt special

any reason to not do a 300PRC versus the winmag?
This is almost exactly what I run. Only difference is I'm in a AI chassis I bought here on the hide instead of the bravo.

I'd probably go PRC over the win mag too unless you're already set up to reload for the win.

I wouldn't say I'd never own a remmy again, but I wouldn't pay to have it trued if I did.

What model? The only model I know of that's that expensive is the tac a1. Believe it or not, the tikkas are pretty damn accurate, maybe even the most accurate of all factory rifles, hammer forged or not. Sako's are CHF too.

From what I've seen, the tikkas outshoot the bergaras, are a little more consistent and the actions are (IMO) a lot nicer too. Triggers are about as good as factory triggers get. I don't own a tikka so I'm not the expert here, but I believe you can also switch between a long and short action by swapping the bolt stop, which I kind of like too. I just wish they came in more (better?) configurations. Maybe a little longer barrel on the CTRs, a broader selection of chamberings and either additional stock options or throwaways like the walmart remingtons to keep the price a little lower for tinkerers.

No stake in the game, so get whatever suits you. Just sharing my admittedly limited experience.
The only Tikka I see in 300wm is the Lite, pencil barrel.

Aside from the afore mentioned $1900 one.

I dropped aprox $1400 into a old rem 700, 7mm rem magnum bdl that i had. Break down goes as $600 having a smith spin up the barrel, repair a base screw hole then drill out to 8-40, he also trued it up. X-caliber barrel was a freebie but invoice showed $205, 28" mtu contour. Area 419 sidewinder brake. Krg bravo plus a spigot mount. Followed up a harris bipod, a few AI pmags, and a 40 moa NF base. Already have decent scope(for now) an rings. End goal for me was to reach out to a mile consistantly. So far the setup is 16 lbs. Its hefty but not excessive for me. I muster up consistant 5/8 moa groups at distances with only 80 shots fired thus far