• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

NO GUNSMITH Practical Custom Rifle Build

perdurabo

Private
Supporter
Minuteman
Aug 7, 2014
Texas
I'm looking to build a practical precision custom rifle under 12lbs for both hunting and NRL Hunter Open Light division competition. I'm looking for suggestions or recommendations on what would make an ideal build for my requirements plus evaluations on what I'm thinking so far. I'm a very longtime hunter and been competing in PRS matches for several years now. I'd like to move into a custom light practical rifle, but am not sure about all the compatibility detail gotchas I might run into, especially since my plan is that it should be a No Gunsmith Required build. We live in the world of prefits now, I'd like to prove that we don't need gunsmiths, bedding compound or shop lathes to build reliable precision bolt action rifles anymore.

Here's my requirements:

- NO GUNSMITHS! I need to be able to assemble this in my garage with basic tools, a torque wrench, a barrel vise/wrench and some gauges and NO STOCK BEDDING COMPOUND and expect it to be within 90% of the potential of a gunsmith-barreled and blueprinted action.
- Chambering suitable for thin skinned north American or African plains game, mostly whitetail and mule deer out to 400y in a commonly available factory chambering. I intend to reload, but for an explicitly practical non-gamer rifle, I'm thinking 6.5 Creedmoor is the best compromise. No barrel burner 6mms.
- Must also be suitable for NRL Hunter Open Light division (under 12lbs total) should NRL Hunter decide to have any matches in Central or South Texas in the future
- As such, its going to need a lighter barrel, I'm thinking 22" Proof carbon fiber Sendero profile.
- Going to need a lighter carbon fiber stock, but here's the trickiest part of my build...it MUST be a traditional stock profile NOT a "modern" AR style pistol grip chassis. Its a practical rifle, not a gamer race gun. Yes, I'm a Fudd at heart and set in my ways about certain things... pistol grip chassis bolt guns are a bridge too far for me. Ideally it should have adjustable LOP (pad spacers ok) and comb, though. In order to stick with the NO GUNSMITHS rule, its probably going to have to be a mini-chassis of some sort, so I'm thinking something like a Manners MCS-LRH with their mini chassis.
- Action and bottom metal needs to be AIAW magazine compatible with a standard integrated 20 moa pic rail. I intend to use AIAW mags exclusively but AICS compatibility would be a nice to have as well. I really like the new ARC Coup de Grace, but I don't know for sure if I can get a truly prefit Proof carbon barrel for it nor an inlet for manners MCS-LRH with mini chassis. NO GUNSMITHS rule trumps all.
- Needs an FFP mil/mil optic appropriate for both hunting (up to 400y) and occasional competition (out to 1200y) but on the lighter side. A Leupold Mark 5HD 3.6-18x44 would make more sense for ultra weight savings but given that I intend to compete with it as well, I think a MARK 5HD 5-25X56 w/PR-2 reticle would be the best compromise.
- Once piece mount. I've given up on two piece rings forever. You won't convince me otherwise. I'll happily eat the weight and shave it somewhere else, even if I gotta dremel it. Its Spuhr or nothing.
- Bipods should be mentioned here I suppose but I don't think they're critical unless I'm so near my 12lb limit that I need something special. I'm pretty partial to my old Arca Harris, but I might be convinced to go Atlas or Spartan Javelin if I have to shave weight. I'm only mentioning it here because its part of NRL Hunter weigh-in.
- I suppose if I have to also mention it for the sake of weight here, I'll say that as long as I can afford the weight, I'll probably put an EC tuner brake on it because I'm lazy and would prefer to tune barrels instead of tune seating depth. Yeah, its a little gamer, but I've seen the light and hate fiddling with seating depth for the sake of group size when I can just dial-a-group, especially if I need to tune for factory ammo.

Any suggestions that meet the criteria or gotchas that I may not have thought of?

Last edited:
I would suggest you try reading the various other threads on here asking the same questions.

You’ll be fine, pretty hard not to achieve what you’re asking if you keep track of total build weight honestly. PVA will cut you a CDG prefit if you send them a carbon blank @bohem

Don’t expect to shoot well off a Spartan bipod; they’re fine for setting the gun down while you glass or whatever.

A cheek riser is a must.

Lastly, and I expect you won’t change your mind and that’s fine, but: nothing wrong with a pistol grip on a hunting gun. Pistol grips exist because they are generally ergonomically superior, which leads to better shooting grip fundamentals, which leads to better shot consistency (accuracy). I wouldn’t be so quick to sneer at that. But, plenty of people shoot carbon stocks just fine, and it’s definitely a bit easier to get light with them.

Good luck with your research!

this describes every rifle i've ever built. assembled from parts in a garage/basement

btw...those pistol grip chassis can fold, cost the same and still be lighter than an LRH

You’ll be fine, pretty hard not to achieve what you’re asking if you keep track of total build weight honestly. PVA will cut you a CDG prefit if you send them a carbon blank @bohem
Thanks for the bump!

We have carbon Osprey blanks as well, we can cut them and skip the barrel nut or the customer needing to source a carbon blank.

Reactions: kindabitey
Do you have a budget? Here is what I would do.

Impact NBK Action .473 Bolt with 20moa integral rail AW cut. $1400
Stuetsville Precision Bartlien Carbon Fiber Pre-fit 6.5CM 7.7 twist Rem Varmit 24" $1200
Manners LRH with M5 Mini chassis $1230
Hawkins Hunter Bottom Metal $200
Salmon River Solutions Arca rail (Drops right in Manners LRH) $100
Salmon river Solutions Mini Self Timer $185
Trigger Tech Diamond Trigger $300
Spuhr 35mm Mount $400
MK5 5-25 in PR2 $2000
AW mag $90
Lightweight Double Pull Ckyepod $900

If you are Mil/LEO everything from Impact can be had at a discount as well.

Do you have a budget? Here is what I would do.

Impact NBK Action .473 Bolt with 20moa integral rail AW cut. $1400
Stuetsville Precision Bartlien Carbon Fiber Pre-fit 6.5CM 7.7 twist Rem Varmit 24" $1200
Manners LRH with M5 Mini chassis $1230
Hawkins Hunter Bottom Metal $200
Salmon River Solutions Arca rail (Drops right in Manners LRH) $100
Salmon river Solutions Mini Self Timer $185
Trigger Tech Diamond Trigger $300
Spuhr 35mm Mount $400
MK5 5-25 in PR2 $2000
AW mag $90
Lightweight Double Pull Ckyepod $900

If you are Mil/LEO everything from Impact can be had at a discount as well.

Actually, if you’re military, almost everything on your list can be had with a discount

Like this one

I’ve been thinking of selling it

09110C4E-56BD-490C-BBF5-6123E6A4074D.jpeg
332EE585-6BB7-404A-B28A-7FED1C0449B5.jpeg
60D6D8BB-E890-4550-B138-438FBA1FFB63.jpeg

Shoots factory Hornady ammo really well.

I’ve never done a load development for it

I was shooting 143 ELDX at 2675

That was with a Deadair sandman S

I recently sold the scope to fund my PRS habit

As shown weighed 11lbs - that’s with scope and Sandman-S

82CE517F-A55F-4654-B1E4-F5527B45D44A.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: pingunit
My whole package is a Proof 20" CF, ARC Nucleus, ARC rail, Manners CS-2 w/ mini-chassis and a 4" rail section up front, TT Special 2-stage. Goes like 7.5 lbs. All up with optic, Atlas CAL, Dead Air Nomad, magazine it's 11.75 lbs. It carries really nicely, in my opinion. With all that stuff on it, the balance point is right at the front of the mag well. The reason being the CS-2 is very butt heavy with its adjustment mechanism. The balance is definitely rearward without the can and the bipod on it - you may or may not like that feel.

I had (have) a 22" 6.5 CM - the difference (vs. 20") isn't worth worrying about if you're weight conscious. If I were optimizing performance (instead of rapid length of pull adjustment so that my son can share the gun with me), I'd transition from my CS-2 (2.75 lbs or so) to the T2 (same ergo package) modded to use the CS-2 cheek riser (or maybe just a spacer and a cheek wallet). The LRH is obviously an even lighter, more fully featured option. Keep your optic to 30 ounces or so (I've run 24, 29, and 30 ounces on this and the weights are for the 29-ounce setup).

I’ve thrown this together for next year. Comes to 11 lbs 3oz with a 33oz optic and 5oz rings.

Zermatt TL3 SA
AG Composites Adj. Hunter ARCA rail added (I like a traditional stock as well)
Proof Carbon 20” 6.5CM Prefit
TBAC CB Brake/Ultra 7 Gen 2
TT Special
Hawkins M5
Atlas CAL Gen 2

Still out on glass but it’ll either run a NF ATACR 4-20x or a ZCO 420. I’ll see how I feel about that stock after a few comps and then reevaluate. I too hope that they finally add a Texas match as well but I have no problem attending those in Louisiana and Oklahoma should they continue to host them there.

Last edited:
What I would do

Stock : Manners TA, Manners Pro Hunter, Manners LRH, Mesa Precision Adjustable Altitude. Just sold the EH1 on my 308 for the Pro Hunter.

Action : Bighorn Origin

Barrel : Proof CF Sendero Prefit

Trigger : TT Special or Diamond

Rings : I know you don’t want rings but the ARC M-Brace rings are fire. Run them on all My guns

Brake : SRS TiPro line

Bipods : Atlas Cal

That basically sums up all my rifles. 6.5PRC comes in at 9lbs, 308 at around 10lbs with optics. 7RM is closer to 12lbs with optic.

Attachments

• IMG_2801.jpeg
    IMG_2801.jpeg
    365.8 KB · Views: 94
  • IMG_2358.jpeg
    IMG_2358.jpeg
    206.5 KB · Views: 104
  • IMG_2088.jpeg
    IMG_2088.jpeg
    247.8 KB · Views: 108
Last edited:
There's about a million different ways to do this.

I don't even know where to start without more parameters and info.

Reactions: HogsLife
If you're dead set on a traditional stock profile instead of a chassis (regardless of the stock material) you really should give some serious consideration to epoxy bedding the action as it can insure the best, most consistent possible fit. I've done four now, and they've all turned out well including two that are pillar bedded. It's not difficult, and there are plenty of written and video tutorials available online to help you out. You can practice first on a small piece of pipe and a roughly inletted piece of wood to give you a clear idea of what's involved. Marine Tex epoxy and original JB Weld 8265S both work well. Just be sure to thoroughly apply a thin, buffed-in layer of good release agent to your action - I use Kiwi neutral shoe polish.

Probably a lot cheaper than other options with carbon barrels, as long as you have a carbon/composite bipod and aren't ridiculous with other attachments I don't think you will go over weight, probably at least a pound under. Traditional stock shapes but compatible with bag/bipod, hammer forged barrel should have longer wear life than stainless cut barrels too. Available in 6.5cm. You can get 10 round magazines. Wallnut, laminate or synthetic stocks with LOP spacers. I own an LA101 in 17HMR with laminate stock and an LA105 (heavier profile 24 inch barrel, KRG XRAY chassis)in 6.5cm, I'll be buying a 102 myself in 308 if I don't win one in a charity raffle next month.

The LA102 is a 'crossover' 22 inch varmint profile, some similarities with tikka action. Single stage adjustable trigger, the bolt body is full lug diameter, you can get the signature series which is fluted.

Happy to mail you the factory 20MOA rail off my LA105 if you buy one, I have gone to 40MOA.

images (30).jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: Stoweit
Grayboe says their stocks don't need bedded. They have lightweight options and are very reasonably priced.
A Solus or Origin action, a quality CF wrapped barrel.
Not sure what game you're hunting, but since this is a medium weight build, I'd look at the 6mm CM to reduce your recoil as much as possible while still giving you enough juice for deer sized game.
I'd seriously consider two separate scopes. You'll pay a weight and FOV penalty with a high mag scope, unless you went with something like the tract 4-20 elr scope.

NRL Hunter open divisions have a .25 / 6.5 defacto minimum caliber.

edit: it’s more complicated than that, but essentially 6mm doesn’t qualify. Can’t push the little 6’s fast enough to make power factor without breaking the speed limit.

Last edited:
Reactions: fdkay and tex68w
I will be the one to remind you that Tikka is an option. I built a "franken" Tikka with Tikka T3 factory 3006 donor. KRG Bravo with AICS or even cheaper Tikka CTR stock, bottom metal, mag. Picked up take off CTR 20 inch 260 Rem barrel and take off, shortened, threaded Tikka 260 Rem 16 inch barrel for even shorter rig. Vortex Razor LHT for a "crossover" scope. I went 260 over 65CM as 1) got great deal on the 260 barrels, 2) more powder capacity than 65CM, and 3) already have 260 dies, brass, etc.

So I posted this a few days ago in the Precision Rifle.... show em thread - https://www.snipershide.com/shooting/threads/precision-rifles-show-em.6252617/post-11027451

But I'll rehash here:

Defiance Machine anTI short action, .480" bolt face, nitride finish, Guardian cut
  • Proof Research carbon fiber wrapped barrel, 22" length, 1:8" twist, 6.5mm Creedmoor Defiance Pre-Fit
  • TriggerTech Special 2-Stage Pro Curve
  • MDT HNT26 chassis, Cobalt Green, Arca rail, non-folding
  • Area 419 Hellfire Match muzzle brake
  • Defiance Machine 20 MOA aluminum scope base
  • Spuhr SP-5001 35mm diameter, 30mm / 1.18" tall mount
  • Leupold Mark 5HD 3.6-18x44mm TREMOR3
  • RRS SOAR 240mm Universal Arca rail

6 lb 3 oz - rifle only

8 lb 6 oz - rifle with optic

8 lb 11 oz - rifle with optic + RRS arca rail (read the article on why I added this)

11 lb - fully configured rifle with MDT CKYE-POD triple pull

Berger 144 LRHT + 42.2 GR H4350 + Alpha Munitions SRP + CCI BR4 ~ 2695 fps give or take depending on temps.

I used NRL Hunter Open Light 12 lb limit as the guide which this meets and my load makes power factor. Runs AW magazines (Guardian Cut) without issue.

Smart move would be just to pickup a ctr / bravo in 6.5 off the PX.

You'll have way more cash for an optic and ammo. It'll do everything you need for NRL hunter.

Then if you still get the custom bug you can go build what you want. Sounds like right now you don't really know, and spending money when you don't know what you want always leads to regret once you do.

Reactions: blue_ridge
So I posted this a few days ago in the Precision Rifle.... show em thread - https://www.snipershide.com/shooting/threads/precision-rifles-show-em.6252617/post-11027451

But I'll rehash here:

Defiance Machine anTI short action, .480" bolt face, nitride finish, Guardian cut
  • Proof Research carbon fiber wrapped barrel, 22" length, 1:8" twist, 6.5mm Creedmoor Defiance Pre-Fit
  • TriggerTech Special 2-Stage Pro Curve
  • MDT HNT26 chassis, Cobalt Green, Arca rail, non-folding
  • Area 419 Hellfire Match muzzle brake
  • Defiance Machine 20 MOA aluminum scope base
  • Spuhr SP-5001 35mm diameter, 30mm / 1.18" tall mount
  • Leupold Mark 5HD 3.6-18x44mm TREMOR3
  • RRS SOAR 240mm Universal Arca rail

6 lb 3 oz - rifle only

8 lb 6 oz - rifle with optic

8 lb 11 oz - rifle with optic + RRS arca rail (read the article on why I added this)

11 lb - fully configured rifle with MDT CKYE-POD triple pull

Berger 144 LRHT + 42.2 GR H4350 + Alpha Munitions SRP + CCI BR4 ~ 2695 fps give or take depending on temps.

I used NRL Hunter Open Light 12 lb limit as the guide which this meets and my load makes power factor. Runs AW magazines (Guardian Cut) without issue.

I stumbled on your website randomly when researching defiance actions and NRL hunter builds. How are you liking it so far?

Cool to see you posting here too.

I stumbled on your website randomly when researching defiance actions and NRL hunter builds. How are you liking it so far?

Cool to see you posting here too.
I am pretty happy with the build. I am trying to make my way out to my secondary range which will allow me to setup steel out to 600 so I can confirm and true up the load data.

When the next NRL Hunter season schedule gets set, I will be making the sincere effort to make the one venue that is relatively close to me (assuming they hold it like they have the past two seasons).

Reactions: AleksanderSuave
My thoughts but not sure if loaded mag counts towards weight.

CDG 34oz could be a couple of oz lighter with fixed bolt handle.

20" carbon barrel blank roughly 45oz

Manners LRH with mini chassis 43oz maybe 45oz with pic rail added, no other options, comes with arca rail.

Leupold mk 5 3.6-18 29oz

Spuhr 5002 9.6oz
Spuhr 5001 8.4oz

Triggertech diamond 3oz?

Guwerks bipod 12oz

Apa little bastard 4.2 oz

This would leve you with roughly 10oz left plus material removed from barrel blank and feeds from AW mags.