• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

No Love for the 75gr ELD-M?

TX_Diver

Private
Minuteman
Feb 15, 2017
WI
Searching around shows that there seems to be a strong preference towards the 77SMKs (and TMKs) over the Hornady 75gr ELD-M across multiple forums.

On paper it seems like the ELD-M would do a bit better with the higher BC and is also a bit cheaper?

Through my T3x over N140 I'm getting good results with my first 20 rounds of ELD-M so I was debating switching over to it from the 77SMK.

Is there a good reason to stick with the 77 SMK over the 75 ELD-M? Main use is shooting paper and steel (and coyotes) out to ~400. Occasional plinking out further. I'm getting 2713 out of an 18.5" 1:8 barrel over 24.3gr of N140 w/ the ELD-M.

I LOVE the 75 ELD-M. In fact I have some 77 TMK and 80 SMK I can send you cheap if you want tehm

Out of a SAC 22.5" barrel on my DT I get 2950 (Hornady brass [high capacity]; loaded to 2.450", mag length) and I hammer an 18" plate at 1100 yards all day long.

If you look at the bearing surface of the 75 it is significantly smaller than the 77 TMK and the 80 ELD-M for that matter; in my gun it has superior ballistics as a result of the balance of achievable velocity and BC. It also shoots tiny groups. Hence I just ordered/received 1800 of them

Here's a little trick at 1080 yards on the 18" plate - 2 shots hit the plate before you hear the first impact

The 75gr ELDm in a bolt gun at an OAL greater than 2.260in is an awesome choice! I've been running them over TAC @2980fps in Lapua brass at an OAL of 2.550in for several years now in a 26" bolt gun. They do great on paper & steel, but I would caution using them on coyotes based on my experience with them on woodchucks and PDogs. For better terminal performance I would recommend going with the 73gr ELDm. On woodchucks my experience is that the 73gr bullet fragments/grenades whereas the 75gr just pencils through. I've not had a chance to shoot a yoye with a 73gr yet.

As for the 77gr it is much more forgiving when restricted to the 2.260in OAL of an AR-15 and it's been available for much longer than the ELDm's. Terminals of the 77gr SMK are typically pretty good too.

75s worked very well for me on varmints and predators. Too much if you care about hides.

They are a good bullet if you have the room for them.

Reactions: 260284 and DIBBS
75s worked very well for me on varmints and predators. Too much if you care about hides.

They are a good bullet if you have the room for them.
If my replacement mags ever get here I will have room... As of today another 1-1.5 months out! Let me know if you want to rent one of yours 😂

75 BTHP its alot cheaper (.20 vs .30 cpr) and fits 2.25 OAL mags...

Last edited:
I have had good success with both the 88eldm and the 75eldm. It’s weird as the 88’s have a higher BC and obviously more lead but they are cheaper than the 75’s most places. Here’s a five shot group at 100yds with the 75’s using Lapua brass and 20.5 grs. of H322 out of my MPA.

Attachments

• F693A657-E069-4A4D-A33A-A3C5F5F06848.jpeg
    F693A657-E069-4A4D-A33A-A3C5F5F06848.jpeg
    323.6 KB · Views: 131
Bullshit. They are my go to projectile in 223. Have been awesome in three different rifles for me.

Reactions: spife7980
Depends on application. For bulk ammo, gassers or otherwise, the 77 is going to be the standard. They are the heaviest projectile designed to feed from mag length ARs, they are cheap and plentiful, and will have better performance at distance relative to any of your lighter FMJ type projectiles. Downside, they hit a wall past 5-600 yards.

The 75 ELD is 100% the better precision bullet. In a bolt .223 that is being shot beyond 600 yards consistently, the ELDs (or any of the other VLD style bullets for that matter) are going to perform appreciably better.

They’re both popular, but it’s not an apples to apples comparison. Each one has their merits, but it’s important to identify your primary use and differentiate which will suit your needs best.

If my replacement mags ever get here I will have room... As of today another 1-1.5 months out! Let me know if you want to rent one of yours 😂
I’d just order a waters rifleman mag from Australia. It will get here faster

I saw some 223 mags on ja outdoors or something like that.

Hmm. OP, 18” rifle to 400 yards it may be make a case for the 69 SMK. I do not know the eldm but Have gone thre 5000 75 Amax. That is an even shorter bullet and needed a long oal. Yup may need more speed over bc depending on your chamber. 19” R700 Factory chamber 3000fps. with the 69 over H4895. Easy, reliable and accurate. Just a thought.

75's are shooting like lasers for me out of a 26" 1-7 twist tube. Running 24.4 Varget and getting right at 2850 from them. I never measure OAL or how much to the lands. I have them loaded 1.835" to the OJIVE and sending them. I've been running them from 400 to 1000 at our local prone matches and they are performing excellent.

Reactions: bunsen27
How do you figure that??? 75 eldms are what almost all tac class guys in PRS are using. Hard to beat the BC for the weight of the 75 eldm.

Think I'm like .030 or so.

My barrel doesn’t really care. I did a seating depth test and settled on .027. Then I seated them deeper, not paying attention, .020 more, which made them .047. They shot the same way. Here’s 5 shots out of my barrel with them. And as stated above, they shoot excellent out to 1000 yards, which is as far as I’ve shot them.

Attachments

• B9CB0BFB-255D-4888-A6BD-620BEB2799FC.jpeg
    B9CB0BFB-255D-4888-A6BD-620BEB2799FC.jpeg
    265.9 KB · Views: 113
Last edited:
How do you figure that??? 75 eldms are what almost all tac class guys in PRS are using. Hard to beat the BC for the weight of the 75 eldm.
I think what he's saying is that 75BTHP has short COAL for OEM magazines (gas guns), where the 75 ELDM longer is OK for PRS bolt gun (still under 77gr TAC limit). Without constraints, there's always Berger 85.5 Hybrid ... :ROFLMAO:...but they're (2-2.5x) the cost of BTHPs...so maybe not for high volume training.

I think what he's saying is that 75BTHP has short COAL for OEM magazines (gas guns), where the 75 ELDM longer is OK for PRS bolt gun (still under 77gr TAC limit). Without constraints, there's always Berger 85.5 Hybrid ... :ROFLMAO:...but they're (2-2.5x) the cost of BTHPs...so maybe not for high volume training.

I will touch on the straight 75 BTHP. I was sending some of those the other day for break in on a new 223 barrel, to save my 75’s. I will say the accuracy of those was impressive as well through the first 75 shots.

I've had the same luck with the bthp's. .020 jump over 24.5gr varget and they shoot lights out to 500. Still ironing out seating with the 75 elds though...

I've had the same luck with the bthp's. .020 jump over 24.5gr varget and they shoot lights out to 500. Still ironing out seating with the 75 elds though...

That powder charge range must be the sweet spot for the 75 and Varget. I’m at 24.4

Reactions: nrspence
I'm getting 3000 fps with N140 and the 75s in a 26"
Did a 10 round pressure test looking at the brass and all the rounds when into a clover leaf despite each being a different charge weight.

Reactions: nrspence
That powder charge range must be the sweet spot for the 75 and Varget. I’m at 24.4
The current node is from 24.4 to 24.7. Load work was done in 35-40* weather so I picked 24.5 and it shoots consistent year round(20*-100*). I want to swap over to the eld but finding the right jump hasn't been as easy as the bthp was.

I have had good success with both the 88eldm and the 75eldm. It’s weird as the 88’s have a higher BC and obviously more lead but they are cheaper than the 75’s most places. Here’s a five shot group at 100yds with the 75’s using Lapua brass and 20.5 grs. of H322 out of my MPA.
I'm looking to build a 223 around a 80+ class bullet what barrel length were you shooting the 88s and what velocity did you get from it? Were you able to get them into AICS mags?

I'm looking to build a 223 around a 80+ class bullet what barrel length were you shooting the 88s and what velocity did you get from it? Were you able to get them into AICS mags?
I’m running a 23” barrel, had to chop it a bit as I bought it used and made it into one to fit my switch lug. I’m not pushing the 88’s very fast, found a very accurate node at a little over 2600. I throated the barrel for the longer 75’s and 88’s and load them to an OAL of 2.505. They fit fine in the plastic MDT mags.
B6AD0245-F933-45DF-A748-1120FA3826DB.jpeg

I find generally Sierras to be a little more accurate than Hornady. That being said 75gr ELDs at around 3,000 fps are a laser beam. The 80 and 88gr bullets typically can't be driven fast enough in 223 to out perform the 75 in any meaningful way. The 88s will smack the steel as little harder at long range which is nice, my gun doesn't like then much though.

Agree that the ELD line in .224 maxes out trajectory wise with the 75 green offering

The problem with the 80 grain offering is it has a significantly longer bearing surface and I could not push them near as fast as the 75s despite being only a little bit heavier

I also agree that Ciara are more accurate, but you cannot beat the ELD line of bullets for trajectory at Range and cost-effectiveness

The BTHPs and SMKs are more forgiving and likely to shoot out of all barrels. The ELDMs are a little more picky in some barrels but are ballistically superior. But they don't really fit gas guns. And I personally dislike shooting plastic tipped bullets in gassers. I have a little pile of broken tips from the 88's on my loading bench. I figure when I get to 100, I'll send them back to Hornady. I buy the 3500ct bulk boxes and I get some fucked up tips in those. Makes you wonder if some are broken right out of the box, how many are wanting to break but juuuust make it through your seating die.

For bolt gun, outside of TAC class, most guys are just upgunninig to 88's or 85s in their long barreled .223's.

Reactions: secondofangle2