• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

No MOA accuracy in 1-8 Twist 300 BLK Supersonic ?

Gee

Private
Minuteman
Apr 25, 2012
UK
Is MOA accuracy achieved in 1-8 Twist 300 BLK when pushed Supersonic ?

When you look at 30BR, people are having to use a 1-17 or 1-18 twist to get best accuracy from a 110 to 120gr 308 head. My understanding of Benchrest Accuracy is they expect 1/4 to 1/3rd MOA accuracy out to 300yards.

I know 1-8 Twist is intended for subsonic accuracy, but my question is about what is the best supersonic accuracy that people have found with this twist in 300 BLK ?

Gee

Re: No MOA accuracy in 1-8 Twist 300 BLK Supersonic ?

1:8 was selected as the best compromise for shooting both subs and supers (110gr - 220gr OTM.)

I know that didn't answer your question, and maybe someone has some empirical data showing that 1:9 or 1:10 is better for the shorter bullets. I've never seen any on the .300 BLK sites I frequent.

I know I get decent accuracy out of my 8" 1:8 barrel when shooting factory supers. About 1.5" @ 100 yards. That's well within the design parameter for the cartridge.

I wonder whether comparing the .300 BLK to the 30BR is of any value. The .300 BLK was never intended to be a precision rifle cartridge. It's like asking a great handyman to be qualified to fix the LHC.