• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

No more poncho-w-liner for a "tent", is my old crew tent good?

Geronimo

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 15, 2010
columbus, ohio
Ok need a durable tent for at least 3 seasons, and was wondering if getting a surplus crew tent I used when on bradleys, is still decent or just stupid. I thought they were big and well made, and too big. Any suggestions? I know I can find lighter but more durable? Going to be used for camp sites and areas I won't need to walk to far lol. Here is what I am talking about Crew tent, 10'x10' winterized

I don't know, looks pretty cool to me!

If you're going to be packing it in, you want a backcountry style tent.

That 4 crew tent looks to be a great base camp tent. Good find!

Loved them, and know it will hold 5 guys in sleeping bags while in a sandstorm at ntc, was really surprised how big the poles are, and how warm it was in the winter. just was wondering if anyone else tried them out as a normal tent. Leaning towards it as a campsite use tent.

You can also break it down and have one person carry the main tent part as others carry the roof, poles and pegs. Just to lighten up the load for one person.

For camp site camping?
How durable do you need your tent to be?
Why do you think a crew tent would be more durable?
For at least 3 seasons? This a misnomer in tent talk. What is called a 4 season tent is really a single season tent; better suited for winter, high altitude, wind, cold, snow, etc. not so much as a general 3 season tent. Many 3 season tents will do just fine in winter, but not high wind or high snow loads though.

Crew tent, will it work, absolutely, stupid, that is your perspective, but there may be better options. I would recommend an actual packing tent so you can camp site camp and carry it when that time arises.

For our camp site camping by the rig, 12x12 screen tent no floor. Family of 5 with additions at times. It protected us from bugs, rain, snain and Sept and May snow, allows us to build a camp fire inside for warmth and cooking, eating on camp chairs and a small table. For private use, hook tarps in the corner. Lasted over 10 years for a cost of less than $100 at the time.