• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

No point...just strange load results

pdogsbeware

Private
Minuteman
Sep 10, 2011
Colorado/Minnesota
No real point to this, just a strange finding from today at the range. Now obviously, this is two small of a sample group to really be of any help, I know that. But still, looking for thoughts, comments, etc...

So of course, I'm a procrastinator and after re-barreling, just started my reloading for an upcoming prairie dog trip this year (in 2 weeks). I kept getting conflicting groups with my "best load. Sometimes it would be 1/2 in, other times it'd be 1in, and still others it would look like the below group (at 100 yards)

oiak2w.jpg

Now I can notice two distinct 5 shot groups with quite a bit of vertical stringing, which is strange because they were shot randomly in 2s and 3s (same shitty groups though even if I stayed behind the rifle through 5 shot strings).

Anyways, the interesting thing is when I moved back to 325 yards...which I found, with the North Dakota winds, is where I usually limit my shots too. I was seeing if it was my shooting abilities, or reloading shortcomings that were affecting my less than desirable results. That's when this little guy showed up...

2yodgrm.jpg

The highest one was just to get on target, then adjusted for elevation and shot two, 3 shot groups. Soo...what the sam hill batman!?

Now I don't believe that whole thing about bullets shooting better at range...just the physics about it don't make sense. I am, however, a firm believer that shooter makes a difference, especially after seeing/doing this. Even while shooting I was more confident and relaxed at the 325yard mark, probably because I wasn't worried about every little thing trying to make the smallest hole possible. Who knows, could be anything.

Feel free to chime in, as It's just my thought that it was my shooting, and I'm curious as to if there are any other causes. Same load, same bullets, same shooting table, same everything.

Because I know someone will ask;
22-250
Win brass
35.2 gr Varget
53gr V-max
3.500 COAL

Re: No point...just strange load results

Buckfever?

Seriously, part of it may have been that you psyched yourself out a little when shooting your group for measurement.

Some of it could be inconsistant cheek weld or shoulder placement, also.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gunsnjeeps</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Buckfever?

Seriously, part of it may have been that you psyched yourself out a little when shooting your group for measurement.

Some of it could be inconsistant cheek weld or shoulder placement, also. </div></div>

Unless your bore is fouling out - what he said.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gunsnjeeps</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Some of it could be inconsistant cheek weld or shoulder placement, also. </div></div>
This and perhaps parallax?

Buck, or rather, Target Fever it was!

Just came back from the range, and I'm fairly confident the original poor results was my shooting. From 300 to 425 yards with a gusting wind from the 11 o' clock, groups on the steel were acceptable. Not GREAT...but ok. I painted a little outline of a prairie dog on the steel and I was putting 4 out of 5 shots inside it, so I'm satisfied my trip won't be a total bust.

Now I just have to refine my technique to get rid of the occasional random flyers. I admit I have horrible trigger pull problems, but I can usually call those ones.