• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

No RCBS precision mic for 260, options?

EROCO

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 21, 2010
Can I use my 308 mic to measure any reference point on the shoulder, it doesn't have to be the Saami location but as long as it's consistent?

Also, I was thinking of using my 223 seating depth gauge on the 308 mic base to measure a spot on the ogive, wii that work?

Or I can purchase the 6.5 x 55 which seems to have very similar measurements?

I'm a fan on the tool so I wanted to stay with the RCBS concept..

Thanks folks.

Re: No RCBS precision mic for 260, options?

im not a fan of that tool, i have one. I never even use it. I bump my shoulders back .001 and i measure it with the tool but , i found that thing to be useless. Another POS in my drawer.

i like your idea though.

"Can I use my 308 mic to measure any reference point on the shoulder, it doesn't have to be the Saami location but as long as it's consistent?"

Correct, it's not necessary to use the SAAMI point on the shoulders of every case, it's just a place to make a comparitive measurement anyway, but your .260 has the same datum line as the .308 (and .243/7mm-08) anyway. I find the Precision Case Mic's shoulder gage to be excellent even tho it's overly costly for the simple job it does.

Your idea of using a PCM bullet seating thimble from another cartridge can certainly work but you should have the correct one with the gage you have, it comes with the set. ??

That dummy cartridge - 'freebore' - device that goes with it sucks.

Yes I use the 308 mic for both .243 and .260 - as fuzzball says it just needs to give a before and after reading.

The COAL aspect of the mic set though is poor, I use the Hornady kit, much better.

Yea, I never use their dummy round which I think is useless too. I use my actual brass and bullet I am seating to measure the distance to the throat.

That's good then, I'll skip buying the 6.5 x 55 mic tool.

Thanks everyone.