• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

No tax/low tax states

mvphilly

Major Hide Member
Minuteman
Mar 27, 2022
NY
It has always eluded me as to how states like Florida,Texas or Tennessee are able to supply their residents with the same services as far as education, police, fire services etc. and yet have a low ,or reasonable or no state tax at all and other states like NY Cali or Illinois cant do the same.I mean I know the libs run the latter but they have to know their tax and spend ideas dont work. Is it the fact the blue states are huge union strongholds so their workers get paid 2 and 3x what other states pay their civil servants?

It has always eluded me as to how states like Florida,Texas or Tennessee are able to supply their residents with the same services as far as education, police, fire services etc. and yet have a low ,or reasonable or no state tax at all and other states like NY Cali or Illinois cant do the same.I mean I know the libs run the latter but they have to know their tax and spend ideas dont work. Is it the fact the blue states are huge union strongholds so their workers get paid 2 and 3x what other states pay their civil servants?
TX property tax is ridiculous. Mine is up over 40% over the last few years. If you own a business here you really get fucked. Freedom my ass. Don’t pay the state to live and see how long you walk. I would pass on what you call “services” if I could keep more of my money. Of course state property taxes doesn't touch what the illegitimate federal gov’t steals under penalty of death by statist.

The leftist states have to have more money for the handouts they give for votes. As far as it "not working" it's working just fine in that these fuckstains get reelected year after year.

Those states have much higher property and sales taxes. No tax on groceries in GA, but I have to pay sales tax on groceries when I go to Texas.

And your federal tax liability is offset by whatever state taxes that you pay. Evens out in the end.

Texas businesses are forced to pay a substantial property tax payment every year. Everything is considered property and taxed including inventory. Land, buildings, vehicles, tools, office equipment, and any inventory is included as property and taxed accordingly every year over and over again until you die or go out of business, whichever comes first. It’s a large burden on small business that is 10’s of thousands if not six figures a year. The corrupt politicians don’t give a fuck. The more taxed, the more stolen.

Man making my taxes in Utah looking better haha

Property tax is stupid high. On a $350k property expect to pay around $6000/year

Pfffff, that’s whiffle ball my man. I’m not a resident of Illinois because I work out of Kentucky, but I do own a small two bedroom home in Chicago because my wife lives and works there for now. She’s stuck because of a child from a previous marriage. In addition to the state income tax and a 10% sales tax, I get to pay $10,200 property tax on my tinny home; sure my state income tax is paid in Kentucky, but it’s about the same in Illinois. Add all that up!! Can’t wait to bolt…….

8.25% sales tax in texas

Property tax is stupid high. On a $350k property expect to pay around $6000/year
I have all that and still state tax. So the grass is actually greener then where I’m at.

7% sales tax and 1% property tax, but if you use homestead exemption, it helps out quite a bit. We also have some of the cheapest electric in the country.

On the other hand, it seems like the population here doubles in winter and the small fishing town I grew up in no longer what it used to be. There are still a few hidden gems in FL, and we are looking at buying in one of those locations soon.

Reactions: BLEE and Bender
LOL I wish. Here in NY in my 1500sf home my tax is 16000.00 thats sixteen fucking thousand dollars per year.My elecric bill last month was 583.00 dollars. One more year of this shit and bye bye.

Bro..Procrastination is a bitch and we can help you!!

By the way did everyones natural gas costs triple or only here in Socal? 450.00 for 94 therms.

Reactions: 30calDeath
I have to pay sales tax on groceries when I go to Texas.

Sound like fake news... put something out thats "kinda" true, but not really true.

You only pay sales tax on "prepared" items in Texas at the grocery store. I honestly dont know what that really encompasses, but I just looked at our grocery receipt from today that was over $200 and we paid 28c in sales tax and that was on 409 kitchen cleaner. I found last weeks over $200 and we paid $1.12 in sales tax. Stuff like hamburger buns and bread(which to me is "prepared") arent taxed... neither was the boxed pasta or the jar of pasta sauce. Not on yogurt either. But funny enough tax on the guacamole that the store makes... and ice cream(that one wasnt a shock to me), but not on jimmy dean frozen breakfast sandwiches. I'm guessing if I bought Sushi that the grocery store "prepares" or cake, again that the grocery store bakery makes, then sales tax, but I can go buy a cake mix in the baking aisle and not pay tax on it.

I haven't perused the interwebs to verify it for certain, but.....Rumor is, that for whatever disability percentage you have from the military in Texas, that percentage is removed from your property taxes. Which, for me would be tits!!!! 100% disabled and somewhat (dys)functional.

That's good enough reason for me to move there. 😁

Those states have much higher property and sales taxes. No tax on groceries in GA, but I have to pay sales tax on groceries when I go to Texas.

And your federal tax liability is offset by whatever state taxes that you pay. Evens out in the end.

The ‘high’ property tax in Texas does not make up for the lack of income tax when compared to CA. 9% state income tax in CA. SALT deduction capped at $10k means it doesn’t even out for many of us. If your household income is over $110k, you are paying more in total income tax in CA than in a no income tax state.

1% property tax on a $1.2M shack on a postage stamp in CA, vs 2-3% on $400k new construction home on a lot with grass and trees and stuff in TX.

Sales tax is a wash, or favors TX as well.

Gasoline tax.

Vehicle registration.

Bridge and highway Tolls

The list keeps going.

Texas is full…

On a related note to the $10,000 SALT deduction cap a number of states are starting to allow work-arounds for pass-through businesses. Say you have a partnership, normally all the income/expenses are reported on a K-1 then you pay the tax on them. Now, the new hotness is to have the business withhold state taxes, similar to what's done on wages. That way you've already paid a portion of your taxes before it hits your personal return (and in the end you get to deduct more.)

No sales tax here Put that in your pipe and smoke it.....😊

My kids were so confused the first time they bought a .99 candy bar and a dollar bill wasn't enough.

We do have property tax, income tax, and tourist taxes.

I'm always blown away I can't get a cheap motel room here for under $100, but I can go to Florida and do it all day long.

Reactions: Bender
Sound like fake news... put something out thats "kinda" true, but not really true.

You only pay sales tax on "prepared" items in Texas at the grocery store. I honestly dont know what that really encompasses, but I just looked at our grocery receipt from today that was over $200 and we paid 28c in sales tax and that was on 409 kitchen cleaner. I found last weeks over $200 and we paid $1.12 in sales tax. Stuff like hamburger buns and bread(which to me is "prepared") arent taxed... neither was the boxed pasta or the jar of pasta sauce. Not on yogurt either. But funny enough tax on the guacamole that the store makes... and ice cream(that one wasnt a shock to me), but not on jimmy dean frozen breakfast sandwiches. I'm guessing if I bought Sushi that the grocery store "prepares" or cake, again that the grocery store bakery makes, then sales tax, but I can go buy a cake mix in the baking aisle and not pay tax on it.

I'll agree to that and plead ignorance. Certainly could be just because of the things that I buy. Have noticed, though, that sales tax is higher there on regular stuff (clothes, sporting goods) compared to GA

Shut...the...heck...up man. We're full already, remember?

To everyone else: Oklahoma will get you on the meth tax...that's where everyone tries to steal your shit in order to further their addiction.
I'm headed back in a few years. Try not to burn the place down, please.

• Haha
Reactions: Maggot
I'll agree to that and plead ignorance. Certainly could be just because of the things that I buy. Have noticed, though, that sales tax is higher there on regular stuff (clothes, sporting goods) compared to GA

I just looked at the GA sales and use tax "general rates" chart that the state puts out. It lists 165 counties I guess they are, they call them jurisdictions...

State rate is 4% and then the counties I guess add another X% in GA. Looks like the majority are at 7% or 8% total. Some are up at 8.75%, 8.9% or 9%... There's 2 that are at 6%.

In Texas our state rate is 6.25% and cities/counties can add up to an additional 2%(and they all fucking do) so our rate is "generally" 8.25%.

That not, IMO, a "noticeable" difference in sales tax... I mean I wouldnt "notice" 1% unless it was maybe on a multi thousand dollar purchase or a car or something like that. So you go buy $200 in clothes. If you were in a GA county where the sales tax rate is 7% you would pay $14 in sales tax. In Texas you would pay $16.50 on that same purchase... So not really that noticable.

I'm not trying to "brag" on our taxes in Texas because we are FAR FAR FAR from a low tax state IMO. Not having income tax isnt the panacea people make it out to be.

I would rather see our sales tax % rise to 10% and then the property tax rate drop considerably. Texas makes ~3.5billion every month in sales tax. So 42 billion a year. In 2021 they made 73 billion on property tax(2022 will be FAR FAR higher). So I would personally rather offset the property tax with some sales tax increase. But I am a fan of consumption tax's over income tax at the federal level so...

Mn is de shyt......walz is really doing a great job allocating the billions in surplus to the bush biter community, our roads are simply awesome, not a pot hole in sight, most of our bridges dont collapse, each city can/has their own lil city sales tax in addition to our low, low low state tax rates....if ya wanna start a bonfire in any city, we encourage it , fight with the blue men and we'll send you and your family a thank you check for say...27 mil or so....fish jump outta the lake INTO your boat without any provocation and the always sunny/65..... So.....pack your crap, and head on over!!

FL has a shit load of people every year traveling there and paying sales tax on everything from where they stay, to what they eat and drink, and all the junk they bring back with them.

During my "working years" I had the opportunity to live and work (long term) in many different states. I have resided close to the state border lines and observed residents traveling 10 - 20 miles to shop in different states. Showing a drivers license from your home state (no sales tax) would often exempt you from paying sales tax in an adjoining state.
I half jokingly say "There are giant data centers running information that levels the playing field of cost of living from one state to another"...
Seems when recessions take hold, there are more articles about the best state to work / retire / own property in.
I am not seeing it. Bought a new truck while working in Iowa and the road tax was staggering. Residents of Washington would buy an RV in Oregon and register it to a family member in Oregon to beat taxes.
Property values are taxed in some states and not other's. Last I checked, Louisiana had the highest sales tax in the nation. I have family there and there is no mention of sales taxes.

An old saying comes to mind when it comes to taxes... "Pay me now or pay me later".

I haven't perused the interwebs to verify it for certain, but.....Rumor is, that for whatever disability percentage you have from the military in Texas, that percentage is removed from your property taxes. Which, for me would be tits!!!! 100% disabled and somewhat (dys)functional.

That's good enough reason for me to move there. 😁
100% VA disabled = no property tax in Texas. Fact. Here in MN the same 100% gets you a $300k exemption.

8.9% sales tax in Washington. Very high gas tax. Property tax 1% of value. NO STATE INCOME TAX.

Her is some interesting reading.

Of course, when you factor in cost of living, it becomes a crap show. If you google it, the lists are different based on how they weighted/screwed the categories to get the result they wanted.

I'm headed back in a few years. Try not to burn the place down, please.

Hope you already have land here man.

We are officially "North Texas" now, and we are officially full.

Land prices have tripled, and now I'm surrounded by ex-pats of the most keto-vegan-crossfit state in the Nation...they just seem to forget they don't live there anymore.

download.jpeg-27.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: kindabitey
You don't really want to dig into this, it will really piss you off.

Here in MO it is not too bad, but Kansas City itself has a 1% tax. If you live there or work there 1% goes to KC. Companies are bailing on KC and they just can't figure out why. Years ago when I worked at the bank we had to pick what branch would be "our" base. Always somewhere outside of KC. Sometimes in KS, others in MO, but no one wanted to go to KC. The wife works for a little airplane company, they are moving, sent out something to all the staff, anything you do or don't want. Right after "safe place" was not in KC. NUMBER 2. People said they are not keen on taking a 1% pay cut in this day and age. Company agrees and they are moving in KS somewhere.

They waste money by the bucket like any other D run city. Be it the "jazz district" that was to be a big night spot, the power and light district, to the stupid new airport or moving baseball downtown. Waste money left and right.

Texas businesses are forced to pay a substantial property tax payment every year. Everything is considered property and taxed including inventory. Land, buildings, vehicles, tools, office equipment, and any inventory is included as property and taxed accordingly every year over and over again until you die or go out of business, whichever comes first. It’s a large burden on small business that is 10’s of thousands if not six figures a year. The corrupt politicians don’t give a fuck. The more taxed, the more stolen.

Don't forget the additional tax imposed by the local school districts. Just another adder to the Texas property tax.

By the way did everyones natural gas costs triple or only here in Socal? 450.00 for 94 therms.
My bill for 12/14/2022 - 1/12/2023 - Residential house close to Fort Worth.

$0.096 increase per CCF over same period, 2 years back.

1675793370089.png

Bill from 12/12/20 - 1/13/21

1675793564013.png

Hope you already have land here man.

We are officially "North Texas" now, and we are officially full.

Land prices have tripled, and now I'm surrounded by ex-pats of the most keto-vegan-crossfit state in the Nation...they just seem to forget they don't live there anymore.

View attachment 8069278
I'll probably head toward the western part of the state. Nobody wants to live out there.